Pooleman

Rebel Nym, Genius, Trajectory Projector, bomblet generator

Quick question. I played a guy tonight who was experimenting with a Nym list. He was throwing bomblets with trajectory simulator (or whatever that new card is from the rebel bomber coming out soon), he claimed that Nyms ability let him prevent bomblets from being removed after the end phase, and he was using Genius to throw bomblets after he moved without discarding bomblet generator. Is this all correct? It didn’t feel correct. 

Edited by Pooleman

It bomblets are supposed to be removed at the start of the combat phase. It seems like Nyms ability can effect cluster mines and  mobs that can stay down for multiple rounds, but not for bombs that are supposed to be removed. 

His ability is just that he can stop one bomb token from going off, as long as it was a friendly ship that dropped it.

So, once per round, whenever a friendly bomb goes off FOR ANY REASON, he can choose to stop it going off.

Genius states that you must remove the card, so it is then a one time trick unless you have em, but it would work.

I also tried out Rebel Nym with Trajectory Simulator last night.

It was useful but not overpowering. It's most effective after moving, which you only get to do once; extra munitions lets you discard the token instead so you can keep the bomblet generator.

So: Rebel Nym allows you to prevent ONE friendly bomb from detonating. Genius allows you to drop an "upon reveal" bomb (like bomblet) AFTER the maneuver IF you didn't overlap (i.e. Bump) a ship.

It seems like your opponent wasn't following the rules as they are now. He could launch or drop a bomb, move, then choose to hold it. Or he could move, then launch or drop a bomb as long as he didn't bump/overlap a ship and then hold it. In the 2nd case, the bomblet upgrade would have to be discarded. Extra Munitions (EM) would allow you to do that trick twice, if equipped.

Was there another player that's more experienced that you could have asked if you were unsure of the rules? If this was him experimenting, there might have to be some leeway given as he might not be that familiar with the upgrades. There's so much new stuff right now and more coming that it's hard to keep things straight lately. But in any case you should always try and get the rules straight, for both of you.

Edited by Force Majeure

3 hours ago, Gilarius said:

I also tried out Rebel Nym with Trajectory Simulator last night.

It was useful but not overpowering. It's most effective after moving, which you only get to do once; extra munitions lets you discard the token instead so you can keep the bomblet generator.

This guy said he didn’t need to discard it. It was frustrating. He also kept measuring before deciding to do a barrel roll or not, which I also thought was against the rules. He took first place at a tournament last week. I took third. It felt good to beat him last night. 

2 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Was there another player that's more experienced that you could have asked if you were unsure of the rules? If this was him experimenting, there might have to be some leeway given as he might not be that familiar with the upgrades. There's so much new stuff right now and more coming that it's hard to keep things straight lately. But in any case you should always try and get the rules straight, for both of you.

Everyone looks to this guy for rulings. I’m realativly new but I knew I was correct about Genius. 

7 minutes ago, Pooleman said:

This guy said he didn’t need to discard it. It was frustrating. He also kept measuring before deciding to do a barrel roll or not, which I also thought was against the rules. He took first place at a tournament last week. I took third. It felt good to beat him last night. 

He's wrong (caveat: if he has Extra Munitions, he can use Bomblet Genius once, discarding the munitions token, but the second time, he loses it, even with Traectory Simulator - Launching isn't Dropping, but you have to discard the card with Genius to get to the point where you can make the substitution).

And premeasuring barrel rolls is just not on - I've seen people measure to confirm that a roll WON'T fit, but if you measure, and it will fit, you have to follow through and complete the roll.

Just now, thespaceinvader said:

He's wrong (caveat: if he has Extra Munitions, he can use Bomblet Genius once, discarding the munitions token, but the second time, he loses it, even with Traectory Simulator - Launching isn't Dropping, but you have to discard the card with Genius to get to the point where you can make the substitution).

And premeasuring barrel rolls is just not on - I've seen people measure to confirm that a roll WON'T fit, but if you measure, and it will fit, you have to follow through and complete the roll.

He was measuring to see if a barrel roll would dodge my firing arc. If a barrel roll would dodge the arc he would do it. If it wouldn’t dodge the arc he would choose another action. 

Yeah, the barrel roll thing is nonsense, you have to commit to the barrel roll action before you measure or put any templates down.  There's also a good chance that you can't use Genius and Trajectory Simulator together, as launching a bomb isn't the same as dropping it.  (See also Deathrain's ability and probably not being able to barrel roll after using Trajectory Simulator.)

10 minutes ago, Pooleman said:

He was measuring to see if a barrel roll would dodge my firing arc. If a barrel roll would dodge the arc he would do it. If it wouldn’t dodge the arc he would choose another action. 

Yup, that's what's commonly known as cheating.

You can estimate, getting your face down to board level and judging by eye is legit, but if you get templates on the board, you're committed.

6 hours ago, Skargoth said:

Let me go get my pitchfork.

While we're on it, I just want to confirm that if you declare a barrel roll/boost one direction, and are unable to perform it, you are NOT required to barrel roll/boost in another direction - right?

Also, the nubs ONLY count when it comes to bombs, right?

26 minutes ago, Boba Rick said:

While we're on it, I just want to confirm that if you declare a barrel roll/boost one direction, and are unable to perform it, you are NOT required to barrel roll/boost in another direction - right?

Also, the nubs ONLY count when it comes to bombs, right?

You’re correct on barrel roll/boost. Nubs dont count for measuring range with ships, but they do count for bumping and measuring range with bombs. 

On the barrel rolling issue...I know it’s illegal in tournament play, but I’m also pretty sure the original core set said you could pre measure barrel rolls (in casual play). That could be the source of confusion. 

To either add to the potential confusion, or hopefully to reduce it: using Trajectory Simulator to launch a bomblet every round but before you move is allowed; using Genius to do so after movement is what makes you discard either a munitions token or the generator itself.

26 minutes ago, Ailowynn said:

You’re correct on barrel roll/boost. Nubs dont count for measuring range with ships, but they do count for bumping and measuring range with bombs. 

On the barrel rolling issue...I know it’s illegal in tournament play, but I’m also pretty sure the original core set said you could pre measure barrel rolls (in casual play). That could be the source of confusion. 

Premeasuring to see if the barrel roll would work or premeasuring to see if you’ll get out of arc? Using the range ruler to inform decisions before you make those decisions has to be wrong. 

1 minute ago, Gilarius said:

To either add to the potential confusion, or hopefully to reduce it: using Trajectory Simulator to launch a bomblet every round but before you move is allowed; using Genius to do so after movement is what makes you discard either a munitions token or the generator itself.

Agreed. The guy I played last night did a 4 straight, then used a 5 straight to launch a bomblet and didn’t discard it. 

13 minutes ago, Pooleman said:

Premeasuring to see if the barrel roll would work or premeasuring to see if you’ll get out of arc? Using the range ruler to inform decisions before you make those decisions has to be wrong. 

Premeasuring the barrel roll. You’re right, you can’t plop down the range ruler til combat. 

23 minutes ago, Gilarius said:

Show him this thread?

I’ve been going to this store fir about a month and I’ve won every match. I’m afraid to confront people on rules because I don’t want to be “that guy”. I’m trying to fly casual. 

3 minutes ago, Pooleman said:

I’ve been going to this store fir about a month and I’ve won every match. I’m afraid to confront people on rules because I don’t want to be “that guy”. I’m trying to fly casual. 

The guy cheated, I’d call him out on it, would you rather he keep cheating?