Sign in to follow this  
NeverBetTheFett

I stand corrected. FFG loves us.

Just now, DTDanix said:

I'd love to see feedback on what people think.  Was an article like this helpful?  What other kinds of strategy articles would people want to see?

As you mentioned in the article, several articles could be written in regards to list building. I'd like to get started with those.

Nice work.

What kind of format do you think would be good for a list-building article?  I feel like there are already plenty of people talking about and ranking various figures/cards, and new stuff is always coming out making discussions somewhat obsolete.

3 minutes ago, DTDanix said:

What kind of format do you think would be good for a list-building article?  I feel like there are already plenty of people talking about and ranking various figures/cards, and new stuff is always coming out making discussions somewhat obsolete.

Those are definitely ever-evolving, and do go out of date when a new expansion/wave comes out, but I think they're still handy to have in the interim though.

Personally, I'd like to see some of your thoughts on what you think is essential when building a list. What kind of roles do you look at when making a list, and who currently fills those roles well in the various factions? Who can excel filling multiple roles?

Terminal sitters, objective runners, support, damage dealers, area control, snipers, tanks, etc.

@DTDanix

I thought the article was great. I think you captured most of the considerations that go through a competitive player's mind, but it was presented in an easy to read manner. 

I think some articles on what you think is important during play would be great. For example, do you pile a ton of damage onto a huge figure you can't kill before they activate, or do you try and take out a single medium sized figure instead? These are the types of things that new players will often miss.

A risk vs. Reward piece could be cool based on your own experiences. What factors you weighed to take a chance in making a pivotal game changing move in your previous high stakes games.  I think IA has a bad rep for being Slightly boring, rewarding those who slow play vs those who make bold moves.. I'd love to see that proven wrong.

I also think the timing of this article is key, FFG sending a msg to skirmish players that yes the app is coming but no we  haven't forgot about you!

5 hours ago, DTDanix said:

I think you could focus more on the potential questions in list building that a new player or potential player might have. Things like:

* Building a list with the new Vader & Han

* Objective points on some of the current maps: how to score them (interacting, controlling, spending movement points), what figures are best to score them

* Strong Deployment card pairs per affiliation (Rebs, Imps, Mercs, Droids) and some command cards that work great with them.

(Edit: A mid-level game tactics article like the risk vs. reward topic @FrogTrigger mentioned would be awesome, too.)

Edited by cnemmick

24 minutes ago, theChony said:

Thanks for the article, I love seeing the thought process of other players.

But has anybody ever moved a figure 10 spaces to contest an opponent's terminal? I'm intrigued now.

With greedo? Yes. He's totally worth doing it with. I like to focus him and run him in at the end. Deny the card. I like to do it from the bottom deployment zone on anchorhead cantina up to the top terminal. Hope to shoot first act second round. And get a second shot off on death and maybe absorb two or more attacks. Totally worth four vps more often than not. 

If you're running hired guns it can be worth it too. Just depends.

I'd imagine it'd work to some degree with an elite alliance smuggler but I would think it's a little less worth it because you might want that figure to live longer and make more plays. 

Can be a lot of fun to run a bantha onto the enemy terminal causing chaos and death and straight up controlling the area. Harder to keep that thing alive nowadays. But with the right setup and cards it's devastating. 

Edited by Masterchiefspiff

Very Good Article. In my opinion that's exacly the kind of skirmish content, that should be published on FFG website. General advices, that may be obvious to many competitive players (exlcuding Greedo Powemove, that should be forbidden by United Nations :D), but are really usefull and interesting for people that would like to get into skirmish (or advance from casual to competitive). I hope, that the series will go on.

Good Job!

Plus You can be proud, that the Onar/officer situation is the first graphical example in the whole history of FFG skirmish articles, that actually can happen during game! (I am looking at you palaptine zapping jabba (small figure!) adjacent to onar and 2 weequays :D).

Edited by Szycha

Not lickspittle, but I agree. This is possibly the best Strategy-kind of article on FFG I've read on any game I play. There was a lot of good tidbits for a lower end competitive player like myself, and stuff I feel only the highest end players might know and take for granted - yet presented in a way, that even super casual gamers might understand and appreciate.

9 hours ago, theChony said:

Thanks for the article, I love seeing the thought process of other players.

But has anybody ever moved a figure 10 spaces to contest an opponent's terminal? I'm intrigued now.

I think the contest for the cantina terminal is one of the defining features of the Anchorhead map. Greedo is probably the best figure to contest it, but I've also done it with hired guns, and one can also imagine doing it with IG-88 with the last activation of round 1, with Gideon + Hera letting him move 10 spaces and still attack.

Great article @DTDanix. It's about frickin time. I must be psychic eh? I was wondering why we hadn't had an FFG article from a past champ, or any skirmish coverage for that matter. This definitely makes me believe that they care and further cements my interest in this game. Congrats on all of your success! 

Also, GIA. 

16 hours ago, DTDanix said:

There are plenty of cool stuff to do, I think. One thing is a typical summarized play-by-play/game plan analysis for some popular lists. Another would be suggestions of non-tier 1 combos/pieces, perhaps challenge based. Going outside list building, map analysis articles are always awesome.     

On 11/29/2017 at 9:45 PM, theChony said:

Ahsoka, baby, and she still got to attack (and killed that wussy terminal sitter, thus allowing me to pull an extra card!). Two movement from Gideon, two from her start of round, plus the six from her leap ability. 

G(aA)IA

-ryanjamal 

1 hour ago, ryanjamal said:

Ahsoka, baby, and she still got to attack (and killed that wussy terminal sitter, thus allowing me to pull an extra card!). Two movement from Gideon, two from her start of round, plus the six from her leap ability. 

G(aA)IA

-ryanjamal 

Imagine playing Take Initiative after that swing. That's how World Wars get started.