DarthDude

First impressions

14 hours ago, 2P51 said:

You're making a check so the pools are modified by whatever you are making the check for based on use.  So just like combat, if you target an opponent and it has adversary or whatever you're going to have Difficulty upgrades.  Using SPs as well obviously.  The negative results are pretty harsh also.

The double despair is more humorous than anything else, if one were to conjure a nymph and then be stuck as the nymph for 24 hours that would be hilarious.

FLGs got the book in on Friday, so I've read through it once. Currently, I like the majority of what I see. Talents feel a bit sparse to the point where you'll probably see lots of players taking the same talents. This will probably change once we get some Splat Books. Magic is...interesting. I like the general concept and execution, but will certainly be changing it up for any games I run. 

Anyone expecting a "complete" system is going to be let down. This is a skeleton, or maybe a spine, that you will need to hang everything else on. 

All that said, I'm already set up to run two vastly disparate games/settings and really looking forward to it. 

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:00 AM, Cannibal Halfling said:

We've got the first part of our review here, covering Parts I and II. Aaron will be covering Part III on Wednesday.

Short version: the changes they've made to the basic core mechanics of the system are generally pretty good, particularly the Talent Pyramid and the lower characteristic cap, and while Aaron will be the one doing the deep dive on the toolkit portion so far it looks like it's fitting decently well into that middle ground of universal games between, say, Fate and GURPS.

Part II: Settings is by far the weakest section, in that they're more jumping-off points for making your own setting than something that can function on their own. They're useful jumping-off points, but the name of the Part is a little misleading, and maybe it would've been better to have fewer examples that had more depth.

And Aaron has completed Part Two of our review two days early! It covers Part III of the book, which is all the GM's Toolkit stuff.

Finally having got the book, it's going to take a big assumption shift for me to play. I knew that would be the case before I got it, but actually reading the rules, it is really looming large; this isn't a bad thing.

My two most played systems are D&D3.x/Pathfinder and HERO. Both systems are very much "if it isn't on your character sheet you can't do it". Genesys .. it almost feels like the character sheet is an outline. Now, I want to play Genesys for that reason, to bring the character and player play into the game, and not play the character sheet, but it is proving a big adjustment. And that is just reading the rules, not even trying it out in play with the new dice.

Edited by Lordmhoram

I a man really liking Genesys, a lot.  I really liked the basics of the Star Wars system but it had some aspects I didn't like.  I like that careers have been reduced to just designating career skills and the specialization are gone.  I really like how they are handling talents too.

The magic system looks like a  lot of fun and is similar to how I am handling the Force in my slimmed down Star Wars game. These rules will help me refine that system. 

Actually looks enjoyable as it is just a tool kit and very much open to whatever you want to put into your game. Do not really need to invest in the new dice as the star wars dice would still work. Great addition for that star wars game during the knights of the old republic time period or even earlier.

1 hour ago, TheSapient said:

I'd recommend watching some Star Wars rpg videos to get a feel for interpreting the dice and the cinematic tone.

That was my intent. My wife and I both game, so one of our habits in the last decade or so, when we get a new corebook, we read it aloud and discuss it before we do any playing. Watch videos of play. Part of my I loved threads here like "what are the coolest things you did with Triumph" and such.

On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:16 AM, dresdinseven said:

Can I use the Adversary Decks from the Star Wars books? From the murmurs I hear it seems that there isn't much of a "beastiary" in the book.

Hopefully the splatbooks will have "list-o-BadGuys" in them, better yet if adversary decks were made as well.

It's not even just the beasts, it's using all the adversaries for all settings. Modern, space opera, fantasy - the tweaks are really just if you want to add magic, otherwise just changing up their gear.

5 hours ago, TheSapient said:

I'd recommend watching some Star Wars rpg videos to get a feel for interpreting the dice and the cinematic tone.

Just avoid the PAX Australia game that the Penny Arcade guys did as part of their Acquisitions Inc series. Something about how Gabe just pressed the dice on the app and took that as the roll, plus how he'd do the difficulty first telling them the difficulty, was really... wrong to me.

On 12/1/2017 at 2:45 PM, EliasWindrider said:

I was a little disappointed that you can only increase an attribute one through dedication 

I guess it was an effort to curb the fact that you could get dozens of Dedications with enough points? It does seem weird to me - I don't think I've ever had a character crank a stat to the max, but two in a stat still seems reasonable.

On 12/5/2017 at 7:22 AM, Lordmhoram said:

My two most played systems are D&D3.x/Pathfinder and HERO. Both systems are very much "if it isn't on your character sheet you can't do it". Genesys .. it almost feels like the character sheet is an outline. Now, I want to play Genesys for that reason, to bring the character and player play into the game, and not play the character sheet, but it is proving a big adjustment. And that is just reading the rules, not even trying it out in play with the new dice.

It's very much a system that you have to unlearn for. Even now, 4 years on, I still find myself falling into the trap of just reading the dice results and moving on without adding color. And I'm constantly asking my players to justify passing that blue onto the next player. "Don't tell me the roll. Tell me how the roll is awesome!" 

Edited by Desslok

1 hour ago, Desslok said:

It's very much a system that you have to unlearn for. Even now, 4 years on, I still find myself falling into the trap of just reading the dice results and moving on without adding color. And I'm constantly asking my players to justify passing that blue onto the next player. "Don't tell me the roll. Tell me how the roll is awesome!" 

After playing regularly for a couple of years now, I've come to the conclusion that if the players at the table just aren't into translating the rolls into fiction (for whatever reason), prompting is a waste of time. They either get it right away, or their brains just don't work that way.  If you're very lucky, you get a table where every roll is like an action lifted from cinema, otherwise it's just, "I hit it with my sword" learned from D20.

On 12/5/2017 at 7:22 AM, Lordmhoram said:

Finally having got the book, it's going to take a big assumption shift for me to play. I knew that would be the case before I got it, but actually reading the rules, it is really looming large; this isn't a bad thing.

Yeah, I thought I recognized your handle, Lord Mhoram, from the HERO System forums back in the day.

I'm excited about Genesys also; unwrapped a copy of it the yesterday for Xmas. I played Warhammer 3e and loved it; I played a short lived Edge of the Empire campaign as well as the Force and Destiny intro box and was less into it (not a Star Wars fan, personally), and enjoy the underlying narrative dice mechanics quite a bit. I'm also playing a Cortex Plus hack and a Fate Accelerated hack off and on, so I'm not sure if I'll bring Genesys to the table anytime soon, but we'll see how inspired I get when I read thru the book.

Having come from Savage Worlds and FATE I think Genesys can replace both those systems for me.

However, after reading the book I thing a bit of work will be needed to get up and running.

Edited by pete284
Updated question