Sign in to follow this  
TheBossInTheWall

Arkham computer game

DoctorDR said:

... everything is legal until someone tells you to stop anyway...

This, my Dear friend is a false assumption that may eventually get you into serious trouble.

Care to cite an example? If you are not for profit, and not gratuitously duplicating and distributing licensed intellectual material. the worst that is going to happen is a cease and desist if someone feels you are stepping on their toes. In which case you can simply comply. (And, you can quite easily seek approval as well) Especially in relation to something as public domain as Lovecraft if you are not doing someone out of money I think you would be fine. I come into contact with similar issues in the music industry. If someone wanted to homebrew a small computer game with an AH theme for free I think it would be doable as long as they were not simply making a computer version of the FFG licensed product. FFG own the game, not Arkham or the Mythos.

On a personal note, I like to keep my fear in the realm of games. In real life I try to act freely within the bounds of respect for others. I know this is not a popular way of life anymore. Fear of the corporatocracy has replaced our fear of god - which was a bogus concept to begin with - laws have replaced morality, and the non-existent money that undulates its 0 and 1s never seen in our bank accounts is the only difference we have between slavery and this alleged "freedom" (and a little some spare time to play AH).

If the man wants to pass a law against peaceful, non-profit creativity (as I am sure he would like to) I will simply throw flowers at them like the good hippie I was brought up to be. cool.giflengua.gifcorazon.gif

jhaelen said:

DoctorDR said:

This, my Dear friend is a false assumption that may eventually get you into serious trouble.

Murder is definitely illegal, regardless of whether you actually go and do it or not. And in such a case, you won't just be told to "stop."

Tibs said:

jhaelen said:

DoctorDR said:

Murder is definitely illegal, regardless of whether you actually go and do it or not. And in such a case, you won't just be told to "stop."

I disagree.  If you murder everyone before they can tell you stop, it is legal :')

Avi_dreader said:

Tibs said:

jhaelen said:

DoctorDR said:

I disagree.  If you murder everyone before they can tell you stop, it is legal :')

Totally legal.

Tibs said:

Actually, non-realised murderous intent is probably not a crime.

Actually, My flat mate sings Joni Mitchell out of tune  at 8am and sets up camp in the bathroom when I need to pee... I think in the US my feelings would be illegal. Thank god for the catharsis that AH imbues. It saves lives!gran_risa.gif

I was thinking about it for a while, but then I decided that since all my school work and work is done on the computer, the last thing I want to do is spend my game nights with my friends around a computer.  

Nyogtha said:

I very much doubt FFG would produce a computer version of any of their boardgames.  Cost versus return probably wouldn't be too good.  There is the piracy issue, which is not really too much of a problem for a big computer franchise but would kill a game with a much smaller audience.   It would cut into their boardgame sales, especially if it was mod-able.  There are probably plenty of other reasons.  What would be nice though would be a utility program which took care of the bookkeeping, decks, etc.  Of course you have the same problem again with piracy.  I believe there were one of two fan creations that were told to desist (buried somewhere in these forums or on BGG) and I think there was rumour of something official along the lines of a bookkeeping utility, but I wouldn't hold your breath... unless you are into exotic sexual practices! preocupado.gif

That said, there is always Vassal (Google it).  There might be a AH module for that, or you could always dive in and create one for your own personal use.

Hmm, I pretty much just repeated what Avi said (in a far more concise way). gran_risa.gif 

There are quite a few mythos inspired (directly and indirectly) computer games spanning a decade or more.  Text adventures and interactive fiction; the original Alone in the Dark series (which started the survival horror genre); a series of point and click adventures of which Prisoner in the Ice was the last; the potentially brilliant (before it became cross platform and dumbed down and then rushed out due to publisher pressure and financial problems) Dark Corners of the Earth (which was to be followed by at least two more Lovecraft games), and there are no doubt more that I can't recall....hmm, there is/was a couple of  indie Mythos mmo's, one text based MUD style, the other I can't recall.

I don't think piracy would necissarily be a problem. There are lot of indie publishers/game creators out there who make money. I think a lot depends on people wanting to support them, thus making the choice to pay(if they might otherwise pirate).

I'll let Tool reply for me:

Someone told me once that there's a right and wrong, and that punishment would come to those who dare to cross the line. But it must not be true for jerk-offs like you. Maybe it takes longer to catch a total *******. But I'm tired of waiting. Maybe it's just bull and I should play GOD, and shoot you myself. Because I'm tired of waiting. Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught. If consequences dictate my course of action I should play GOD and shoot you myself. I'm very tired of waiting. I should kick you,beat you, **** you, and then shoot you in your ******* head.

jhaelen said:

I'll let Tool reply for me:

Someone told me once that there's a right and wrong, and that punishment would come to those who dare to cross the line. But it must not be true for jerk-offs like you. Maybe it takes longer to catch a total *******. But I'm tired of waiting. Maybe it's just bull and I should play GOD, and shoot you myself. Because I'm tired of waiting. Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught. If consequences dictate my course of action I should play GOD and shoot you myself. I'm very tired of waiting. I should kick you,beat you, **** you, and then shoot you in your ******* head.

Note to self: wear bullet-proof vest and duct-tape butt.

DoctorDR said:

Care to cite an example? If you are not for profit, and not gratuitously duplicating and distributing licensed intellectual material. the worst that is going to happen is a cease and desist if someone feels you are stepping on their toes. In which case you can simply comply. (And, you can quite easily seek approval as well) Especially in relation to something as public domain as Lovecraft if you are not doing someone out of money I think you would be fine. I come into contact with similar issues in the music industry. If someone wanted to homebrew a small computer game with an AH theme for free I think it would be doable as long as they were not simply making a computer version of the FFG licensed product. FFG own the game, not Arkham or the Mythos.

On a personal note, I like to keep my fear in the realm of games. In real life I try to act freely within the bounds of respect for others. I know this is not a popular way of life anymore. Fear of the corporatocracy has replaced our fear of god - which was a bogus concept to begin with - laws have replaced morality, and the non-existent money that undulates its 0 and 1s never seen in our bank accounts is the only difference we have between slavery and this alleged "freedom" (and a little some spare time to play AH).

If the man wants to pass a law against peaceful, non-profit creativity (as I am sure he would like to) I will simply throw flowers at them like the good hippie I was brought up to be. cool.giflengua.gifcorazon.gif

See Shoggoth on the Roof.

Nyogtha said:

That said, there is always Vassal (Google it).  There might be a AH module for that, or you could always dive in and create one for your own personal use.

It was a Vassal module for AH that resulted in the FFG folks asking the person to cease and desist. I have corresonded with some game companies that encouraged having folks put their games into a Vassal module, but FFG is not one of them. I don't know why, but I suspect it is because they are pretty well established, while smaller companies like the free advertising of having a Vassal module for their games.