Here's another thread that further discusses the double Slam if you're interested. The conclusion is the same though. The double Slam in one activation is a legal play.

As a side note, the CCs Hit and Run and Heart of Freedom are my favorites for Chewie because they can allow a shot, movement and the double Slam in one activation.

2 hours ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

I just picture him moving up 4 spaces (maybe more with some help from a friendly figure or command card) and then slamming two different targets away from a terminal. 

I would suggest a new strategy to the figures on the terminal... Let the Wookie win.

7 minutes ago, Kenseventy said:

I would suggest a new strategy to the figures on the terminal... Let the Wookie win.

Can you imagine if it's 2 officers and he hits them both with a 3 damage? Ok, nobody would ever put 2 officers at the same terminal, but still. How about 6 damage on an e-weequay covering a terminal? 

2nd question: With Wookiee Avenger, Slam does not cost an action for Chewie. Does that allow him to use Slam twice during an activation (once for free and once for an action?) Basically does changing a special action to "free" action make it no longer a special action? (For things like the limitation on special actions per activation and cards like "To the Limit")

1. You cannot use Slam twice during an activation. Here the rules are interpreted strictly as written in the Rules Reference under “Actions:"
    • Slam is a special action because it is an ability denoted with the action icon.
    • “A figure can perform each special action only once per activation.”

Great questions! These sparked some good discussions on our side. Hope that helps!

Todd Michlitsch
Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
tmichlitsch@fantasyflightgames.com

Sorry chewie!

Edited by frotes

Just now, FrogTrigger said:

Does this mean Vader can't use his force choke at the end of the round if he used it during the round as well? Or is it different as it is an 'end of round' effect?

Vader can use it, because his stuff at the end of a round isn't during an activation. 

Things to keep in mind, rules that apply to things you can do during an activation don't apply when you aren't activating. 

Han and Vader's stuff at the end of round aren't during an activation.

When something causes a figure to do something outside their activation (Murne, Leia, that Empire force control card that the name escapes me atm), you aren't bound by the limitations of doing things during an activation. 

1 minute ago, NuSair said:

Things to keep in mind, rules that apply to things you can do during an activation don't apply when you aren't activating. 

Han and Vader's stuff at the end of round aren't during an activation.

When something causes a figure to do something outside their activation (Murne, Leia, that Empire force control card that the name escapes me atm), you aren't bound by the limitations of doing things during an activation. 

Lure of the Darkside?

Chewie hasn't been in a Regionals winning list and HE gets nerfed? Man I love this game, but sometimes the logic of these rulings makes no sense. Why can't Chewie be heroic like Luke lol. dont make me waste my $$ on plastic i can't use FFG :)!!

9 hours ago, The Archangel said:

Another hit to the Wookiees. Pulling off the double Slam was one of the only cool things that got added, but now that's out too. Seriously, Chewie did get the short end of the stick on the "fixes". Is it possible to fix a fix?

Yes. I think X-Wing has done that a billion times in their FAQs. <_<

Losing the ability to do up to 6 DMG unblockable -- especially against high-value targets like Vader, AT-DP, IG-88, etc. -- is pretty tough. Instead, Chewie can do up to 3 DMG unblockable and then likely at least 4 DMG with his attack to the same adjacent figure. Running the numbers of doing AT LEAST 4 DMG, prioritizing spending a SURGE on the +2 DMG ability and without considering defensive rerolls, looks like this:

• vs 1 black die: 69%
  • vs 1 white die: 67%
  • vs 1 black die +1 BLOCK: 41%
  • vs 1 white die +1 EVADE: 53%
  • vs 2 black dice: 28%

I guess you could grab Single Purpose to do Slam twice in an activation, but I wouldn't do that unless you had other figures that have special actions also worthy of Single Purpose usage.

I kinda wish that he had just a little stronger defense. I don't think a static +1 BLOCK is fair. Maybe letting Chewie have an EVADE when rolling a DODGE and a blank result would do it.

8 hours ago, TheWelcomeMat88 said:

Chewie hasn't been in a Regionals winning list and HE gets nerfed? Man I love this game, but sometimes the logic of these rulings makes no sense. Why can't Chewie be heroic like Luke lol. dont make me waste my $$ on plastic i can't use FFG :)!!

I admit, I'm a bit disappointed too. I was in the middle of making a Chewy list when I saw this. He's still great, but this was going to be a fun new function. 

The ruling doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. The wording is the exact same as Jedi Luke (as you elude to), yet he can attack twice in 1 activation. Does this also mean that Vader can only "force choke" once per round? I assume someone already asked this, but I don't see the thread. 

Edited by NeverBetTheFett

23 minutes ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

The ruling doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. The wording is the exact same as Jedi Luke (as you elude to), yet he can attack twice in 1 activation. Does this also mean that Vader can only "force choke" once per round? I assume someone already asked this, but I don't see the thread. 

It's different than Luke because special actions have different rules than attacks. It's different from Vader because "per activation" does not mean "per round".

9 hours ago, cnemmick said:

Yes. I think X-Wing has done that a billion times in their FAQs. <_<

Good point. Hopefully we don't tread down that path in IA.

I've played a few games with Chewie since his fix. The biggest reason the ruling hurts is because Chewie's reliability for landing damage is still not great and this decreases it further. His shot can still whiff pretty bad and needs a reroll like Han to add some consistency imo. I've learned too that throwing Chewie right into the fray to tank and land a free Slam is just not worth it most of the time. The damage creep takes him down pretty quick even with two defense dice. The double Slam (with possibly a shot too including CC shenanigans) was at least a little more reliable. The possibility of landing up to 6 unblockable damage and move figures around was useful and quite Wookiee-like. But alas, having a poor ranged shot get blocked, rolling a 1 DMG on the Slam, then getting fried in 2-3 shots is super disappointing for 11 points.

My best game with Chewie was when I used him as a hit and run character. Get in, shoot and Slam, get out. I augmented his speed with CCs like Heart of Freedom, Hit and Run, and Urgency to pull it off. I left my smaller figures and supports open to get shot instead of tanking with the Wookiee. All my supports died, but I won the match with all my heavy hitters alive. I got to use Debts Repaid to good effect too. It's goes against the typical "in your face" mentality for Chewie, but I might experiment with it more.

Btw, is the +1 DMG in his fix card added to the Slam too or just his ranged attack? I always miss it when playing....