Sign in to follow this  
kilroy0097

Poison/Knockout/Sleep Gas fills Room. Mechanic?

Situation: Someone has several large tanks of a gas pumped through a ventilation duct into an existing room. The gas puts breathing creatures to sleep/incapacitate/kill that exist in that room.

The question is, how does the mechanic work? How many doses of a chemical does it take? Is the size of the room even a factor (within reason, an enclosed chamber that isn't a stadium or something massive) or just cinematic at this point?

For example if the player has 20 doses of a neurotoxin, anesthetic, or neuroparalytic (EotE Core Rulebook p172) and then pumps that amount of chemical into a room, along with an inert gas as filler, will that effectively affect 20 individuals (PC or NPC) in that room? Will it affect more?

I know that ventilation will be a factor in dispersal of the gas once it is active. Though if the ventilation is turned off it should linger as if there is no wind in an enclosed space.

Referenced the following rules:

Environment Effects: Fire, Acid, and Corrosive Atmospheres (EotE p214)

Poison Gas Grenade (EotE: LaNH p102)

While most would balk at using poison gas in combat, some bounty hunters and assassins use it to inspire terror in their targets. Droid bounty hunters and Gand findsmen, who are unaffected by airborne toxins, often employ poison gas grenades. They can be filled with deadly gases, such as dioxis, trion, or Fex-M3.

Poison gas grenades can be loaded with up to 1 dose of neurotoxin, anesthetic, or neuroparalytic (see page 1 72 of the Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook) or other poison (such as those on page 109) that the GM deems suitable. Whenever the wielder successfully attacks a target with the weapon (whether or not he deals damage), the target also suffers the effects of being exposed to the poison.

Unless used outdoors in a windy environment, the poison gas lingers for 2 rounds, affecting anyone caught in the cloud. If used in a closed, poorly ventilated space, such as a small room or narrow starship corridor, the gas lingers for 5 rounds instead. Poison gas grenades do not harm droids and other creatures that do not breathe air. Characters equipped with vacuum sealed suits, breath masks, respirators, or rebreathers are also unaffected by the poison gas.

Anyone have any ideas on this mechanic?

I'd personally just keep it simple but take into account the surroundings. If it is a small room with no ventilation as you suggest, this is how I would run it.

GM - You get a whiff of some sort of strange scent seeping into the supposedly airtight room. The doors latch closed and as you try them, are obviously locked. The smell is getting stronger and you begin to feel strange... (Everyone go ahead and roll a x difficulty Resilience check).

The people that fail begin to suffer 4 points of strain every round.

The people that succeed begin to suffer 2 points of strain every round.

Triumph gives you a round before you begin to suffer strain.

Despair you immediately suffer half your strain threshold.

Of course, you can be lenient and allow the PC's to hold their breath for a number of rounds up to their brawn threshold like the RAW says but that means they will likely escape before even suffering the effects for a single round. You could always make the way out take a number of rounds of effort, such as using skullduggery to pick the lock, coordination to climb through the shut-off vents or computers to slice through the security mainframe. It all really depends on how you want to setup the situation.

2 hours ago, kilroy0097 said:

We assume for this example that the victims are unable to leave the room. 

Honestly I just use suffocation rules.  The gas doesn't matter, if we don't get O2, or whatever, we suffocate.

I'm going to go with @GroggyGolem 's idea. I like the idea of the PCs holding their breath while they each start attempting to do things. Then giving them a chance with some Strain drain over time before they pass out. Bonus if the Doc of the party brings her medical backpack. She might be carrying some oxygen in that pack which could extend their time in the room.

Thanks all for the help.

If we can assume the gas just knocks them out but otherwise does no lethal damage, and if we can assume, that whoever pumps the gas into the room the PCs can't escape keep on pumping until everyone is knocked out, then we can also assume that any form of rule or check makes no difference in the end. Just handle it narrative and say that after a short while everyone is knocked out.

GM: "The doors lock and a bluish mist begins to fill the room from vents strategically placed throughout the room.  As you begin to breathe in the mist your eyelids begin to grow heavy . . ."

Players: "No wait!  What?  NOOOO!"

GM: "You struggle against consciousness and slowly lower yourself to the floor"

Player 5: "Hey wait  I think I might have a mask of some sort!"

GM: "Really?"

Player 5: "Wait a bit, let me see . . ."  <Shuffles papers>

GM: "And you all fall asleep.

Player 5: "Hey what about . . ."

GM: "And you ALL fall asleep."

Players: "Dude!  Bummer!  What the heck?"

GM: "So do you all have back up characters?"

16 hours ago, Mark Caliber said:

GM: "The doors lock and a bluish mist begins to fill the room from vents strategically placed throughout the room.  As you begin to breathe in the mist your eyelids begin to grow heavy . . ."

Players: "No wait!  What?  NOOOO!"

GM: "You struggle against consciousness and slowly lower yourself to the floor"

Player 5: "Hey wait  I think I might have a mask of some sort!"

GM: "Really?"

Player 5: "Wait a bit, let me see . . ."  <Shuffles papers>

GM: "And you all fall asleep.

Player 5: "Hey what about . . ."

GM: "And you ALL fall asleep."

Players: "Dude!  Bummer!  What the heck?"

GM: "So do you all have back up characters?"

To keep things interesting, I would put a Resilience check in there, invite the PCs to flip a Destiny Point to "have remembered" to bring breathing apparatus, etc.

I like diabolical traps as opportunities to get the players thinking and working as a team. Had a scene on Geonosis, post "Long Arm of the Hutt" where the halls filled with Dioxis gas. PCs sent their Merc, who had sealed armor, and the droid bounty hunter out to clear out a few battle droids, then the Mechanic had to talk them through shutting down the gas and venting the halls. 

Edited by GM Stark
paragraph break