Fenn Rau

Lambda shuttle?

11 minutes ago, Fenn Rau said:

Should I get a lambda shuttle?

I have to tell you, I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on that particular ship myself. Seems like the most cost efficient way to get Palpatine on the table. Of course, I've got to pull the trigger on getting him as well.  At first, I just couldn't imagine that having him would really be worth the 8 points, but after watching some matches online.. I can understand why people play him. Now if you don't have any interest in using him with that shuttle, I would probably go with the Upsilon instead. You will probably get a lot more damage out of it.

"The dark side is strong in me, for I am Sith."

Edited by Darth Nadir

1 minute ago, Darth Nadir said:

I have to tell you, I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on that particular ship myself. Seems like the most cough efficient way to get Palpatine on the table. Of course, I've got to pull the trigger on getting him as well.  At first, I just couldn't imagine that having him would really be worth the 8 points, but after watching some matches online... I can understand why people play him. Now if you don't have any interest in using him with that shuttle, I would probably go with the Upsilon instead. 

"The dark side is strong in me, for I am Sith."

Thanks

Yes! Buy that shuttle! It's iconic, and it's worth its points.

I took an Omicron Group Pilot with Darth Vader crew (a.k.a. Doom Shuttle) with 4 TIE strikers to a Store Championship, and got 10th in Swiss. There were about 45 players. It was a lot of fun, but it does take some getting used to so you know what kind of approach it likes; pretty restrictive dial. Loads of fun nonetheless.

49 minutes ago, CasoPrime said:

Suicide Shuttle with Vader is so fun in casual. And I just love the model it was one of my first purchases. (Been playing less than a year.) Almost flew it at my Store Champs too. 

I've only played for just a tiny bit over a year now

12 hours ago, Fenn Rau said:

Should I get a lambda shuttle?

It depends what you want to do with it.

It's a great platform for officers to support a fleet, but it has a lot of competition.

• The TIE shuttle - more fragile (but not as much more fragile as you'd think), a lot cheaper and with a better dial. Good for hosting Fleet Officer/Systems Officer pairs, or, theoretically, Kylo Ren.
  • The Upsilon - able to be a fair gunship by itself - between tech slots and Kylo Ren's Elite Upgrade, it can be surprisingly manouvrable and if you can keep that big main gun pointed this side towards enemy, you won't regret it. 
  • The Decimator- over half again as tough, has a turret, and still has a better dial!

The best uses for a lamda are generally:

• As a platform for Emperor Palpatine - the TIE shuttle's restriction makes this the cheapest ship which can carry him,
  • As a platform for Vader. It's not easy to get shots but the Shuttle is a lot more expendable than a 40 point Patrol Leader and lets you get something more useful in the rest of your squad
  • As a 'close support' buddy for a squad. Fleet Officer/Systems Officer is nice on a TIE shuttle, and the Lambda does cost 5 points more, but the systems slot allows you to pair in Advanced Sensors, allowing you to do a Fleet Officer action, then a  green move, ending with no stress.
  • The one named pilot I'd seriously consider is Captain Yorr. Firstly, he's the cheapest, but secondly, his 'clear your stress' ability is a godsend for the sort of Push-The-Limit aces that a support shuttle is usually seen paired up with.

I think the shuttle is just great and, if you learn to master it as an active shooting part of your list and maneuvering with it and squad, you will be able to pilot just about any ship that comes out. It takes practice, but the model is beautiful and has some pretty relevant upgrades that could help you out in other areas.

Shuttle comes with some great cards even if you don't fly it.  Rebel Captive, Navigator,  Vader Crew, Intel Agent, Advanced Sensors, and Anti Pursuit lasers are very useful cards outside of the shuttle.