Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Felswrath said:

I suppose this isn't really important, but is it implied that if you buy a pistol, or blade, that it comes with a holster/scabbard?

Yes.

The only explicit holster is the Model 55 Concealment Holster for light blaster pistols and holdout pistols.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish they had also made quick draw holsters, you can get the same effect by filing off the front sight (grants quick draw as an innate talent) but filing the front sight off also imposes setback dice beyond (I think) short range and uses a hard point. 

If i were to make one, a quick draw holster could grant quick draw as an.innate talent without using hard points or imposing setback dice when shooting, the downside could be is that having a quick draw holster means the pistol is prominently displayed, i.e. a simple difficulty  (no purple dice) for determining if the person is armed.  Covering it up (e.g. with a trench coat) does away with both the simple difficulty and innate quick draw talent.  I chose a simple difficulty so that someone rolling all blanks wouldn't see it and conditions like "darkness" would not mean it's automatically detected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

I wish they had also made quick draw holsters, you can get the same effect by filing off the front sight (grants quick draw as an innate talent) but filing the front sight off also imposes setback dice beyond (I think) short range and uses a hard point. 

If i were to make one, a quick draw holster could grant quick draw as an.innate talent without using hard points or imposing setback dice when shooting, the downside could be is that having a quick draw holster means the pistol is prominently displayed, i.e. a simple difficulty  (no purple dice) for determining if the person is armed.  Covering it up (e.g. with a trench coat) does away with both the simple difficulty and innate quick draw talent.  I chose a simple difficulty so that someone rolling all blanks wouldn't see it and conditions like "darkness" would not mean it's automatically detected.

Is this not how the quickdraw talent works anyway? Or does any GM let people quickdraw from a concealed holster, which is hidden under a trenchcoat or some taped to the back gun?

edit:
With the weapon sling it is obvious, and even the magnetic tethering does not magically get untangled from fabric if you cover up your weapons with lots and lots of fabric to hide them better. 

Edited by SEApocalypse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always allowed under the arm/shoulder holsters and boot holsters, or pistols tucked into the front of pants under an untucked shirt to work with quick draw, and if the trench coat wasnt buttoned up in front I'd allow them to sweep it open as part of the quickdraw

Edited by EliasWindrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually had a PC in the last campaign I GM'd with a sawed off shotgun carbine that hung under his right arm on a weapon sling under a trench coat and I allowed quick draw and concealment to work with that.

Edit: as long as the trench coat was open in the front

Edit: I saw an old TV show (might have been a documentary) about gangsters/mafia and one of them did that with a Tommy gun.

Edited by EliasWindrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

I actually had a PC in the last campaign I GM'd with a sawed off shotgun carbine that hung under his right arm on a weapon sling under a trench coat and I allowed quick draw and concealment to work with that.

Edit: as long as the trench coat was open in the front

Edit: I saw an old TV show (might have been a documentary) about gangsters/mafia and one of them did that with a Tommy gun.

Nope. Wast a tommy gun. Clyde from Bonnie and Clyde did it with a BAR. So that was a 30-06 machine gun. He sawed the stock short. The barrel short and put a leather sling to hd it under his arm. He called it his whip it gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daeglan said:

Nope. Wast a tommy gun. Clyde from Bonnie and Clyde did it with a BAR. So that was a 30-06 machine gun. He sawed the stock short. The barrel short and put a leather sling to hd it under his arm. He called it his whip it gun.

Great! Confirmation of the general message (an autofire "carbine" on a weapon sling under an arm and under a trench coat). Thanks for correcting me on the specific details.

Edited by EliasWindrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

If i were to make one, a quick draw holster could grant quick draw as an.innate talent without using hard points or imposing setback dice when shooting, the downside could be is that having a quick draw holster means the pistol is prominently displayed, i.e. a simple difficulty  (no purple dice) for determining if the person is armed.  Covering it up (e.g. with a trench coat) does away with both the simple difficulty and innate quick draw talent.  I chose a simple difficulty so that someone rolling all blanks wouldn't see it and conditions like "darkness" would not mean it's automatically detected.

I would be tempted to add in a rule that if you get 2 threat on a athletics, coordination or combat check) or pretty much anything physical, you might cause a holstered weapon to fall out.   It makes sense that a quick draw holster would be designed to have the weapon come out easier, and mechanics wise, helps offset the fact that it effectively adds 1 hardpoint to the weapon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can tell you that in our world, most firearms do not come with a holster. Some knives do, and your better-quality swords do, but many do not. Sheaths and holsters exhibit considerable variety, and personal preference for style and brand plays a huge role in the large secondary market.

That being said, for simplicity's sake I would assume that whenever a PC purchases a weapon it either comes with or they already have a method for securing it to their person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the practice. When a new holster is issued to my department, I suggest everyone go practice drawing 500 times to develop the muscle memory (unloaded in a safe place of course). However, holsters can and do affect draw speed. My workplace had to dump a holster issued to the entire department once due to drawing issues evident during training with FATS machines (computerized video scenarios using life-like weapons that shoot a laser to register hits) .

For example, when I was in the military, I was issued a field holster even for police work that came with a large flap over the top and a small tab you had to pull to open the flap. The flap had to be folded back and held open to draw the holster. It was actually quicker and easier to be forced to use two hands to draw - 1) Right hand pulls down the tab, 2) Left hand pulls back the flap and holds it, 3) Right hand draws the firearm. It was possible to draw one-handed but very difficult to do it every time without a chance of the flap falling back down and covering your draw. I quickly switched to an old-school thumb break for police work (kept the field holster for..the field) that made my drawer so much easier and faster.

And back on game relevance, these are my house rules/clarifications involving holsters/scabbards:

ETA: Hmm, after reading through my old rules (below), I wonder if I should have gone with a standard holster doesn't allow use of the Quick Draw talent. It keeps the weapon retained well, but doesn't allow for Quick Draw. You need to make a purchase or alter a standard holster to get a Speed Holster to be able to use your Quick Draw talent? But, this means the weapon can't be concealed without losing the Quick Draw ability and opens it up to Despairs to be lost or more easily grabbed out of a holster by someone else? That way the Quick Draw talent isn't easily gained by a 50 credit purchase. BUT, there IS a 25 attachment that gives Quick Draw with a penalty to accuracy. I could go with Field Holster (safer to keep, harder to draw), Standard Holster (default, free), and Speed Holster (required for Quick Draw talent, easier to lose or be grabbed). But, below is what I was using:

HOLSTER (STANDARD)

The basic weapon holster is typically slung on the hip. It requires a Maneuver to draw & ready, but no hands to keep it in place when stowed.  This item comes free with any slugthrower or blaster of Encumbrance 2 or lower.  They may also be purchased for any such weapon of Encumbrance 3 to 5. Encumbrance 4 or 5 must be worn on the back, taking up a potential backpack slot. But, they have an advantage over a normal sling of being hands free and still only requiring a Maneuver to grab.

Price: Free or 50 credits.

Encumbrance: 0.

Rarity: 1.

 

HOLSTER (SPEED)

A holster hung low on the hip with little in retention abilities making it easy to draw, but also easy to lose. Grants the Quick Draw talent for any Pistol placed within it.  The GM may use DESPAIR to cause the weapon to fall out or upgrade attempts by enemies to grab the weapon from the holster. It is impossible to conceal the weapon in such a holster. The wearer may anchor the weapon down with an attached retention cord, but when used the holster is treated as a Standard Holster.

Price: 50 credits.

Encumbrance: 0.

Rarity: 3.

 

SCABBARD

The basic weapon scabbard is typically slung on the hip. It requires a Maneuver to draw & ready, but no hands to keep it in place when stowed.  This item comes free with any melee weapon of Encumbrance 2 or lower.  They may also be purchased for any melee weapon of Encumbrance 3 to 5, but most must be worn on the back, taking up a potential backpack slot.

Price: Free or 50 credits.

Encumbrance: 0.

Rarity: 1.

Edited by Sturn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to page 189 of the F&D core rules, holsters are typically built into various configurations of the standard utility belt. To quote:

Utility belts keep valuable tools and items close at hand. Contents and configurations vary by user, and many include holsters or gun belts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sturn said:

I agree with the practice. When a new holster is issued to my department, I suggest everyone go practice drawing 500 times to develop the muscle memory (unloaded in a safe place of course). However, holsters can and do affect draw speed. My workplace had to dump a holster issued to the entire department once due to drawing issues evident during training with FATS machines (computerized video scenarios using life-like weapons that shoot a laser to register hits) .

For example, when I was in the military, I was issued a field holster even for police work that came with a large flap over the top and a small tab you had to pull to open the flap. The flap had to be folded back and held open to draw the holster. It was actually quicker and easier to be forced to use two hands to draw - 1) Right hand pulls down the tab, 2) Left hand pulls back the flap and holds it, 3) Right hand draws the firearm. It was possible to draw one-handed but very difficult to do it every time without a chance of the flap falling back down and covering your draw. I quickly switched to an old-school thumb break for police work (kept the field holster for..the field) that made my drawer so much easier and faster.

And back on game relevance, these are my house rules/clarifications involving holsters/scabbards:

ETA: Hmm, after reading through my old rules (below), I wonder if I should have gone with a standard holster doesn't allow use of the Quick Draw talent. It keeps the weapon retained well, but doesn't allow for Quick Draw. You need to make a purchase or alter a standard holster to get a Speed Holster to be able to use your Quick Draw talent? But, this means the weapon can't be concealed without losing the Quick Draw ability and opens it up to Despairs to be lost or more easily grabbed out of a holster by someone else? That way the Quick Draw talent isn't easily gained by a 50 credit purchase. BUT, there IS a 25 attachment that gives Quick Draw with a penalty to accuracy. I could go with Field Holster (safer to keep, harder to draw), Standard Holster (default, free), and Speed Holster (required for Quick Draw talent, easier to lose or be grabbed). But, below is what I was using:

HOLSTER (STANDARD)

The basic weapon holster is typically slung on the hip. It requires a Maneuver to draw & ready, but no hands to keep it in place when stowed.  This item comes free with any slugthrower or blaster of Encumbrance 2 or lower.  They may also be purchased for any such weapon of Encumbrance 3 to 5. Encumbrance 4 or 5 must be worn on the back, taking up a potential backpack slot. But, they have an advantage over a normal sling of being hands free and still only requiring a Maneuver to grab.

Price: Free or 50 credits.

Encumbrance: 0.

Rarity: 1.

 

HOLSTER (SPEED)

A holster hung low on the hip with little in retention abilities making it easy to draw, but also easy to lose. Grants the Quick Draw talent for any Pistol placed within it.  The GM may use DESPAIR to cause the weapon to fall out or upgrade attempts by enemies to grab the weapon from the holster. It is impossible to conceal the weapon in such a holster. The wearer may anchor the weapon down with an attached retention cord, but when used the holster is treated as a Standard Holster.

Price: 50 credits.

Encumbrance: 0.

Rarity: 3.

 

SCABBARD

The basic weapon scabbard is typically slung on the hip. It requires a Maneuver to draw & ready, but no hands to keep it in place when stowed.  This item comes free with any melee weapon of Encumbrance 2 or lower.  They may also be purchased for any melee weapon of Encumbrance 3 to 5, but most must be worn on the back, taking up a potential backpack slot.

Price: Free or 50 credits.

Encumbrance: 0.

Rarity: 1.

Something that's a little weaker than being able to draw a weapon as an incidental is getting a free maneuver to draw a weapon, because you're still limited to 2 maneuvers per turn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:36 PM, EliasWindrider said:

Something that's a little weaker than being able to draw a weapon as an incidental is getting a free maneuver to draw a weapon, because you're still limited to 2 maneuvers per turn.

This helped. Thanks.

HOLSTER (STANDARD)

The basic weapon holster is typically slung on the hip. It requires a Maneuver to draw & ready, but no hands to keep it in place when stowed.  This item comes free with any slugthrower or blaster of Encumbrance 2 or lower.  They may also be purchased for any such weapon of Encumbrance 3 to 5. Encumbrance 4 or 5 must be worn on the back, taking up a potential backpack slot. But, they have an advantage over a normal sling of being hands free and still only requiring a Maneuver to grab. With the Quick Draw talent, the weapon may be drawn with a free Maneuver, but this may not exceed the maximum 2 Maneuvers per round.

Price: Free or 50 credits.

Encumbrance: 0.

Rarity: 1.

 

HOLSTER (SPEED)

A holster hung low on the hip with little in retention abilities making it easier to draw, but also easy to lose. This allows the weapon to be drawn with a free Maneuver, but this may not exceed the maximum 2 Maneuvers per round.  A Speed Holster is required to be able to fully use the Quick Draw talent, granting a draw as an incidental.  The GM may use yy to cause the weapon to fall out or upgrade attempts by enemies to ****** the weapon from the holster. It is impossible to conceal the weapon in such a holster. The wearer may anchor the weapon down with an attached retention cord, but when used the holster is treated as a Standard Holster.

Price: 50 credits.

Encumbrance: 0.

Rarity: 3.

 

 

HOLSTER (CONCEALED)

A compact holster made to hide a pistol on the body of the wearer. While making the weapon harder to detect, hiding it also makes it more difficult to retrieve. Adds b to Perception checks to detect the weapon, but increases time to draw the weapon to 2 Maneuvers (or 1 with the Quick Draw talent). Only useable with Pistols of Encumbrance 1.

Price: 40 credits.

Encumbrance: 0.

Rarity: 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a holster in one of the published adventures that does give the quick draw talent.  It can be found on a certain NPC.  So this has been done, and I would say that perhaps it can be crafted by using the rules, a triumph can perhaps be used to include a certain utilitarian talent?  That's up to the GM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tehRJ said:

There is a holster in one of the published adventures that does give the quick draw talent.  It can be found on a certain NPC.  So this has been done, and I would say that perhaps it can be crafted by using the rules, a triumph can perhaps be used to include a certain utilitarian talent?  That's up to the GM

Which adventure? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...