Timathius

Regional Results thread.

1 hour ago, AlexW said:

I know a lot of people thought this was a close game, but I was having a very hard time seeing how the imperial player was going to reach a win condition after losing Inquisitor (like Round 4?) even WITH Miranda having an Damaged Sensor for 3 turns.

We were watching on the ride home from the regional.  The last I saw he had miranda and ezra down to one or two hull, and then the stream cut out.

48 minutes ago, hawk32 said:

We were watching on the ride home from the regional.  The last I saw he had miranda and ezra down to one or two hull, and then the stream cut out.

I am fairly sure that all ships were down to 1 hull. Quickdraw on the Imperial side, and Miranda and Ezra on the Rebel side. There was talk on the stream of how interesting it would be if Quickdraw shot them both thanks to the title.

7 minutes ago, defkhan1 said:

Seeing a consistent strong Rebel domination.

This.

Rebels have the greatest quantity of great pilot abilities, they have the best crew and ship synergies, they have regen, they have cheap coordinate, they have the top two ship chassis.

.....they are absolutely the way to go for those who want high percentage win capabilities. Easy. 

Imperials and scum still have plenty of very strong builds. To an extent we are the victims of a self fulfilling prophesy. While we moan that Rebels are OP, that Ghost/Fenn has a low skill ceiling, that Miranda Nym are too good we are encouraging the more competent players to switch to Rebels. We need one high profile obliteration session with Harpoons and everyone will suddenly flock back to Imperials. Asajj did well last weekend and suddenly she’s the only viable scum pilot. 

Stick to flying what you love. If you’re good with it you’ll do well.

14 minutes ago, defkhan1 said:

Seeing a consistent strong Rebel domination.

I take issue with “consistent and strong.” All three factions are making cuts; it’s only once they get there that Rebels seem to be pulling ahead. Could be a lot of reasons for this, not the least of which would be player fatigue (I feel like Rebel lists are generally less taxing). 

Netherlands: http://lists.starwarsclubhouse.com/get_tourney_details?tourney_id=3910

Brooklyn: http://lists.starwarsclubhouse.com/get_tourney_details?tourney_id=3908

South Africa: http://lists.starwarsclubhouse.com/get_tourney_details?tourney_id=3916

UK: http://lists.starwarsclubhouse.com/get_tourney_details?tourney_id=3911

Montreal: http://lists.starwarsclubhouse.com/get_tourney_details?tourney_id=3913

FFG: http://lists.starwarsclubhouse.com/get_tourney_details?tourney_id=3917

Regional Winners: 

• Netherlands: Kanan Fenn
  • Brooklyn: Nym Poe Fenn
  • South Africa: Quickdraw and Boats
  • UK: Poe Dash
  • Montreal: Norra Poe Fenn
  • FFG HQ: ??

Quick Thoughts: 

• Went to my first regional over the weekend and had a lot of fun running Imperials.
  • Immediately noticed that regional Metas are all over the map 
  • There are extremely narrow differences between most of the 4 win and 5 win lists at just about every Regional.
  • Why does no one have the guts to run palp?
Edited by Boom Owl

While Rebels are doing well, it’s a far cry from a dominant performance. Brooklyn looks to have only had a single rebel list make the cut for example. 

The meta is good. Let’s enjoy it while it lasts and not look for the next reason to not enjoy the game too soon. If FFG could find a way to give us some tools in the next release to get bwings, g1as, xwings and the like a new lease on life, we would have next to nothing to truly complain about.

I doubt we get anything like that before everyone starts hoarding to a list that performs particularly well at some point though.

3 hours ago, AlexW said:

It seemed to pop up elsewhere quite a bit, too,  and I think that unlike some high tier lists, when it shows up it just does well regardless because there’s not as significant a decision tree.

Isn't that what's been said about every dominant list since <whenever X-wing was launched>?

Either it's true and whoever lucks out and finds no-talent-fly-themselves lists just trounces everyone, or maybe they do require thought to a) concoct in the first place and b) fly properly to play to its strength.

I mean, it's like <insert any sport, profession, or hobby>, I've seen pros do it, it looks ridiculously easy!

21 minutes ago, drjkel said:

Isn't that what's been said about every dominant list since <whenever X-wing was launched>?

Either it's true and whoever lucks out and finds no-talent-fly-themselves lists just trounces everyone, or maybe they do require thought to a) concoct in the first place and b) fly properly to play to its strength.

I mean, it's like <insert any sport, profession, or hobby>, I've seen pros do it, it looks ridiculously easy!

In terms of some X-Wing lists (I don't think it's been said of every dominant list)?  Sure.  In terms of what we're seeing at the top now, I think that the Ghost is a list that has a small decision tree when compared to those other lists.  I was just responding to Kdubb, who thought the good results were related to a good team bringing them.  I thinks there's more to the story.

Edited by AlexW

17 minutes ago, AlexW said:

In terms of some X-Wing lists (I don't think it's been said of every dominant list)?  Sure.  In terms of what we're seeing at the top now, I think that the Ghost is a list that has a small decision tree when compared to those other lists.  I was just responding to Kdubb, who thought the good results were related to a good team bringing them.  I thinks there's more to the story.

A large based ship, with 2 arcs, 2 actions (thanks to fenn), a sort of dashlike donut hole, a turret and, in some cases, boost capability is a list with small.decision tree compared to what exactly?

2 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

A large based ship, with 2 arcs, 2 actions (thanks to fenn), a sort of dashlike donut hole, a turret and, in some cases, boost capability is a list with small.decision tree compared to what exactly?

Basically everything? Not an easy list to use properly though thats for sure. 

Edited by Boom Owl

How has a QD+nus a "larger decision tree"? What about norra, fenn, lowrick?

If you guys really think that playing a ghost fenn to the top of a big event doesn't involve an awful lot of decisions to be taken, for the sheer amount of options that archetype has, I don't think you really know what you are talking about.

Defining ghost fenn as something with a "small decision tree" means you are misunderstanding how that list plays. 

8 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

It's basically focus, wait for Fenn to move at the end and decide if you want want/need to boost into a better position.  It's largely a kiting list.  Keep around the edge of the board, keep obstacles to your side to cut down on range one vulnerability and just try and whittle off opponents one at a time.  The most "heady" decisions are when to deploy the phantom and when to Fenn.   I'm not certain what the optimal build is.  The one that Andrex Cox was running at Krayt Cup seemed less optimized than it could be, and he still ran it 3-0 in the games I watched.  He was desperately missing offensive re-rolls.

25 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

How has a QD+nus a "larger decision tree"? What about norra, fenn, lowrick?

If you guys really think that playing a ghost fenn to the top of a big event doesn't involve an awful lot of decisions to be taken, for the sheer amount of options that archetype has, I don't think you really know what you are talking about.

Defining ghost fenn as something with a "small decision tree" means you are misunderstanding how that list plays. 

There's a difference between having a lot of decisions and the complexity and or consequences of those decisions. Maybe that would have been a better way to describe it without using the word "tree" but it was the reason I used "significant."   

I'm also not saying that taking any list to the top, regardless of that descriptor, is easy or doesn't take a lot of important decisions to get there.       Anyway, probably not worth bogging down this thread anymore.

Edited by AlexW

1 hour ago, Sunitsa said:

I haven't flown it as I don't own one, but I've flown against it. Super tanky, hits incredibly hard, very maneuverable compared to most large bases (with engine) and just does a smooth kite and trashes stuff, really tough, incredibly really; even in the hands of a first time pilot I've found.

1 hour ago, Boom Owl said:

Basically everything? Not an easy list to use properly though that's for sure. 

Haha, this.

1 hour ago, viedit said:

It's basically focus, wait for Fenn to move at the end and decide if you want want/need to boost into a better position.  It's largely a kiting list.  Keep around the edge of the board, keep obstacles to your side to cut down on range one vulnerability and just try and whittle off opponents one at a time.  The most "heady" decisions are when to deploy the phantom and when to Fenn.  

Well typed my friend, well typed......best easy-mode list since old Dengaroo IMO.

45 minutes ago, clanofwolves said:

Well typed my friend, well typed......best easy-mode list since old Dengaroo IMO.

But, but, Paratanni, Palp Defenders, FSR2, QD and the boats, etc? None of those lists ever lost to anything either, all the top lists are similarly easy-mode, all the time /s