Norsehound

What would you change about just one ship?

Since we seem to be making threads about best/worst ships and disucssing them, how about this: For one ship, name what changes and tweaks you would like to do with it to make it better. Try not to go overboard, make your changes fair.

My nomination is the VSD. Either a second brace token, or a one-shot upgrade to give it effective speed 3 for a turn where it needs it. Either way it can't hold up against the kinds of firepower present in the universe now out of the bigger ships. It needs more than the small offerings FFG has been feeding it without directly addressing the problems with the craft.

As I said in that other thread, I'd just reduce the cost of the Interdictor by roughly 10 points.  (I'd do the same to the VSD, but you're limiting me to just the one.)

An easy cost reduction seems like a much simpler solution than some bizzaro one-shot upgrade. In X-Wing, they did so with the Chardaan Refit to the A-Wing. It did take up the ordnance slot though, which meant that the Proton Rockets that came with the new A-Wing (Rebel Aces) was effectively a boost for the even more maligned TIE Advanced, because the opportunity cost for the A-Wing was effectively 5 points (3 points for the Proton Rocket, and the inability to take the Chardaan Refit for -2 points)

But I would prefer for them to just issue an errata ship card for the Interdictor.

18 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Give the victory a click of yaw at each joint for speed two, and a contain token.

They're amazing, perfectly viable ships as is, but a couple marginal things are missing.

I think even just the contain token would go a long way toward helping it. The ability to take DCO to stop APT’s from ruining its day would do wonders for its survivability.... as they are now I’ve seen them get gobbled up in what seems like a single activation of Demo/MC-30’s

For my change I’d want to find a way to get a redirect onto the raider. I really like @draco193’s suggestion of replacing its brace with a redirect, as replacing one of the evades would turn it too much into a mini-glad with turbo’s

Edited by MandalorianMoose

I'd either change the arcs on the Nebulon-B, or swap it's brace for redirect. It's not a terrible design as is, but it struggles to find a place in some fleets if your not derping around with Yavaris. Or the raiders defensive package.

Now that they have Disposable Capacitor, I don't think the victory need anything really. Having alternate refits would be all I'd ask for. Like one that had a defensive team slot like someone mentioned, for a skirmisher unit. But it's a tough call between the Nebulon-B or the Raider.

12 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

I'm a victory player in a pretty MC30 heavy meta, but I've never felt the need to take DCO on anything; she's just overshadowed by more generally useful options, like Tua, Needa, SFO... all cheaper.  All consistently useful.

I absolutely love DCO on my Flagship ISD or MC80-H1. My meta is full of Intel Officer/APT black dice boats. DCO pretty much shuts that combo down. “Intel officer my brace? I’ll contain that crit and redirect the damage. Follow up shot I still have my brace, and only suffer one APT (assuming they get the crit and I don’t burn the contain)”

52 minutes ago, draco193 said:

Take the Raiders brace, turn it to a redirect. Its now much better in its anti fighter role

This would be perfect. Or even better:

Raider only offensive retrofit 1pt: You may choose to spend your Brace as if it was a redirect. 

Heck... why not make it a unique defensive retrofit. haha. Tua it to the Raider for 3 points. Would give Nebs more life too. 

I'm going to cite a change made in @Green Knight's Infinities project and say the H1MC80 could stand to have Weapons Team. However, unlike GK (who made a host of other changes system wide that made that not broken) I'm going to say that the 80 has to give up something to get it. Maybe a DR, maybe Support Team, probably a squad point on the Command Cruiser, I'll entertain arguments what. But certainly something.

The ISD is virtually the only ship you ever see the Empire use in the OT.  But that's not the case in Armada.  I think this needs to be fixed.

Drop the ISD's cost to 100.  Across the board, all four of them.

Also needs better shields:  the dials max out at 6, and what's better shielded than an ISD?  Nothing, so 6 shields on every side.  Plus, mine keep getting killed by Yavaris B-wings when I don't bring fighter cover, so this minor change would help with that. 

And sometimes they die to MC30s, so let's go with a pair of scatters to address that. 

They're also command ships, so they should have a special rule that you get a free Fleet Command upgrade on each one for free.

Also a pony.

19 minutes ago, Ardaedhel said:

The ISD is virtually the only ship you ever see the Empire use in the OT.  But that's not the case in Armada.  I think this needs to be fixed.

Drop the ISD's cost to 100.  Across the board, all four of them.

Also needs better shields:  the dials max out at 6, and what's better shielded than an ISD?  Nothing, so 6 shields on every side.  Plus, mine keep getting killed by Yavaris B-wings when I don't bring fighter cover, so this minor change would help with that. 

And sometimes they die to MC30s, so let's go with a pair of scatters to address that. 

They're also command ships, so they should have a special rule that you get a free Fleet Command upgrade on each one for free.

Also a pony.

Don’t forget they should have a support team slot, since the support team icon literally shows a member of an ISD’s bridge crew.

You keep promising ponies, but who is going to pay for them?

I want a redirect on the Nebulon B. Take away the evade, give a redirect. Or take away a brace. Or something.

Or increase the side shields to 2.

It is such a shame that (to my mind) THE iconic Rebel ship is almost never seen in battle.

After a local event we were discussing that Raiders should have a vastly different defense token suit. Either double redirect, single evade, or brace and redirect.

Personally I think it would be best with the GSD/AF Brace, Redirect, Evade combo

Edited by Alzer

2 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

I'm a victory player in a pretty MC30 heavy meta, but I've never felt the need to take DCO on anything; she's just overshadowed by more generally useful options, like Tua, Needa, SFO... all cheaper.  All consistently useful.

DCO wouldn't do as much as finding some way to make the ship more survivable in general. With XI7s and acc blocking brace, it's 13 damage total to kill off a VSD (it's 17 for an ISD under similar circumstances, not including ECM to guarantee halving massive damage). There's no way to enhance this except giving up the officer slot for Tua (on a single VSD) or Needa... wheras ISDs can easily slip on a defensive fitting and keep their officer slot open for something nasty.

A second brace guarantees the ship can have that option of their brace whenever they need it, so the ship can live as long as it should for what you pay for.

2 minutes ago, Norsehound said:

DCO wouldn't do as much as finding some way to make the ship more survivable in general. With XI7s and acc blocking brace, it's 13 damage total to kill off a VSD (it's 17 for an ISD under similar circumstances, not including ECM to guarantee halving massive damage). There's no way to enhance this except giving up the officer slot for Tua (on a single VSD) or Needa... wheras ISDs can easily slip on a defensive fitting and keep their officer slot open for something nasty.

A second brace guarantees the ship can have that option of their brace whenever they need it, so the ship can live as long as it should for what you pay for.

Yes, the ISD is much better than the VSD.  I have a few ideas for fixing the VSD.

First, I think it really should be speed 3.  Like, this is not even negotiable, a combat ship stuck at speed 2?

Its maneuver chart is kinda weak.  I don't think we need to overdo it, but I think I-I at speed 2 and 0-I-I at speed 3 would do it.

You're absolutely right about the defensive suite, but I think a second brace might a bit much.  Let's say a contain to shave off some points.

The hull's not ideal either.  A combat ship should have some real hull.  Should be 11.  And the shields are pretty bad in the front (the side it wants to point at you) and the rear (its weak spot).  Tick each of those up by one for 4/3/2 shields.

Then there's the armament.  It's not bad when you get into close range, and about par at long, but it could use a little extra kick.  Maybe like 2 extra blues out the front, and probably an extra black out the sides too to make that double-arc worth trying for.

They also get torn up by squadrons, so probably say an extra die of AA.  Maybe make it blue-black instead of blue to mix it up a bit.

Now we're starting to talk about a real meaty, good battleship hull with some staying power, so we should go ahead and pop it on up to a large base to reflect that.  And now that it's bigger, it needs another squadron command too, so that'll tick up to 4.

But we don't want it to be too broken, so let's swap out that Ordnance slot (which would be ridiculous now) for the less-powerful Ion Cannon and a second Offensive Retrofit.

Plus, the name is stupid.  Maybe we could think of a better name for it.  Something starting with an "I".

I wonder what something like that would cost.