Deathseed

Ranges, movement, miniatures, etc.

52 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, Quigonjinnandjuice said:

We like to use a white board for the map. Like dgamal said, I just draw the setting and let my players know what the scale of the area is. This keeps from players misinterpreting the scale for each encounter after. No need for a grid in my experience so far, but I can see it working. Just be clear with the group that a square one encounter may be 5 feet, but for another encounter it could be 20 feet..

To avoid a board or minis entirely due to it being a narrative system, just isn't our style. Minis AND great narrative make for flavor in the game that makes players feel more engaged.. At least with my group.

I agree. Maps make it much easier to react appropriately and keep things straight in your head. It is far too easy for 2 players to come up with completely different layouts to the same description and thus react in ways that dont make sense

Quigonjinnandjuice likes this

2 hours ago, Daeglan said:

I agree. Maps make it much easier to react appropriately and keep things straight in your head. It is far too easy for 2 players to come up with completely different layouts to the same description and thus react in ways that dont make sense

Definitely, that's really the only flaw of an entirely narrative and imagination driven campaign. Everyone perceives things differently.. Having the layout for surroundings and enemy/player locations, grid or not, is going to help any player.