clanofwolves

The meta, when’s it gonna give?!?

The only meta I've seen so far involves 2 players taking a Thweek out of their collection and posturing as to whether they want to run it or not (pick up games) - ie. trying to out-Thweek their opponent. It's all in good fun.

2 hours ago, MrAndersson said:

Then why are you making the statement that Scimitar Squadron Pilot belongs in the top 10?

I can understand Quickdraw, because everyone who is at least decent at this game knows she is the best imperial ship. But Scimitar and Omicron, where are you getting that from?

Because I assume the best of people which involves reading comprehension.

I made two statements:

1. There are 4/10 imperial in the top10 now, including a bomber
2. It is too early to talk about a post-FAQ meta

How can you reconcile those two statements?
Either I truly believe that the Scimitar is better than e.g. Nym and more time will show that is true.
Or I believe that a top10-Bomber is a very obvious indicator that we do not have enough data yet and it will clearly change very much compared to what we have now.

So which one do you think it is?

14 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

The Herald of FTS Gecko the FTS Gozeckoerian.

Sub-creatures!  Gecko the Gozeckoerian, Gecko the Destructor, Valenrudor Zertikstromm, THE GUNBOATER HAS COME.

6 hours ago, Smutpedler said:

Are you the (meta) keymaster?

Gecko the Gunboater, he will come in one of the pre-chosen forms.  During the rectification of the Vaksai, the Gunboater came as a large and moving Porg!

A lot of meta issues could be solved if FFG would errata stuff more frequently, both nerfs AND buffs.  Or at least nerfs since I know they like to save buffs for new expansions to get that sweet $$$.

If they are that worried about overdoing a nerf, start with something minor and increase it later if needed.  No need to wait through multiple tournament seasons before saying "oh yeah, I guess maybe that IS too good".

2 hours ago, markcsoul said:

A lot of meta issues could be solved if FFG would errata stuff more frequently, both nerfs AND buffs.  Or at least nerfs since I know they like to save buffs for new expansions to get that sweet $$$.

If they are that worried about overdoing a nerf, start with something minor and increase it later if needed.  No need to wait through multiple tournament seasons before saying "oh yeah, I guess maybe that IS too good".

A major factor why this isn't done is because Papa Disney has to approve of every change, and that's not a fast process.

9 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

A major factor why this isn't done is because Papa Disney has to approve of every change, and that's not a fast process.

Really? It get Disney has a say in use of their IP (pilots, ships, SW lore etc.), perhaps even when introducing a new game mechanics like cloack as its use has to adhere to the SW universe, but also when FAQ’ing?

I seriously doubt Disney cares about if Tie/x7 free evade comes when you are stressed or not.

12 minutes ago, RedHotDice said:

Really? It get Disney has a say in use of their IP (pilots, ships, SW lore etc.), perhaps even when introducing a new game mechanics like cloack as its use has to adhere to the SW universe, but also when FAQ’ing?

I seriously doubt Disney cares about if Tie/x7 free evade comes when you are stressed or not.

Check out interviews with the design team. Unless I'm super misconstruing the quotes, they've indicated that there is indeed an approval process they have to go through with Disney for FAQ releases. Disney might not care about the details of how x7 works, but that's still their product FFG is licensing, and they want to have control.

2 hours ago, SabineKey said:

Check out interviews with the design team. Unless I'm super misconstruing the quotes, they've indicated that there is indeed an approval process they have to go through with Disney for FAQ releases. Disney might not care about the details of how x7 works, but that's still their product FFG is licensing, and they want to have control.

Interesting, the mouse has loong arms... you have som links to some of these interviews?

4 hours ago, SabineKey said:

Disney cares a great deal about every aspect of the Star Wars license. There is most definitely an approval process the FFG has to go through. FFG is also way down on Disney’s effs given meter which is why it takes so long to get things approved such as system open prizes, FAQs etc. 

5 hours ago, RedHotDice said:

Interesting, the mouse has loong arms... you have som links to some of these interviews?

Here is the most recent interview I'm aware of. I believe it is mentioned here, but I'm not a hundred percent: 

The first time I heard it mentioned was during a Q&A with the developers during the US Nationals this year, but I'm having a hard time finding a link to a recording or transcript of it.

4 hours ago, Timathius said:

Disney cares a great deal about every aspect of the Star Wars license. There is most definitely an approval process the FFG has to go through. FFG is also way down on Disney’s effs given meter which is why it takes so long to get things approved such as system open prizes, FAQs etc. 

And you just know that grip is gonna tighten after what happened with EA and Battlefront 2.

On 11/25/2017 at 6:09 AM, spacelion said:

The only meta I've seen so far involves 2 players taking a Thweek out of their collection and posturing as to whether they want to run it or not (pick up games) - ie. trying to out-Thweek their opponent. It's all in good fun.

Thweek won the New Zealand National.

Its an all Thweek meta now.

11 hours ago, SabineKey said:

If this is a factor, it isn’t nearly as large a factor as we seem to be determined to believe.

Destiny erratad issue cards very soon after their release in multiple cases. This simply is the community finding reason to excuse the designers, or the designers aligning their slow process to something out of their control to avoid backlash, even though that actually is far from the full story.

Edited by Kdubb

29 minutes ago, Kdubb said:

If this is a factor, it isn’t nearly as large a factor as we seem to be determined to believe.

Destiny erratad issue cards very soon after their release in multiple cases. This simply is the community finding reason to excuse the designers, or the designers aligning their slow process to something out of their control to avoid backlash, even though that actually is far from the full story.

There is that potential, yes. It is not the whole story, but still a factor that needs consideration and understanding. In the end, we don't know the whole story of what's going on with X-Wing development, so what we see as obvious can become less so as more of the story is understood.

54 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

There is that potential, yes. It is not the whole story, but still a factor that needs consideration and understanding. In the end, we don't know the whole story of what's going on with X-Wing development, so what we see as obvious can become less so as more of the story is understood.

I do think it is short sighted to believe they are slow to fix things because they are incompetent and don't fix things as soon as someone sees it as an issue. The meta takes time to evolve, so it's often not the best idea to nerf everything the instant it starts performing well. You always need to consider the possibility that the community has not reached all the correct conclusions as well.

19 hours ago, RedHotDice said:

I mean, nothing has really changed with the sale, other than slapping "Disney" onto the packaging. LFL has always had this sort of control. I mean, there is plenty of talk about how they essentially screwed up SWCCG by forcing prequel content, and some of the design decisions related to those expansions. ****, I remember an anecdote from WOTC, from the SWM designer, about how LFL vetoed a design for Thrawn that was 100 pts, or your entire squad. 

I know people like to villainize Disney, but this is always how LFL has operated.