Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zrob314

Thoughts on the app and the future of campaign...

39 posts in this topic

On 11/25/2017 at 10:45 AM, Golan Trevize said:

@Zrob314 I'm a campaign player and I hate full coop games. If you ask me Pandemic is mediocre and without a real challenge. However I hope it will be like you said, because it's much better to have a mediocre full coop game rather than a broken semi coop campaign. I have never played one campaign where both faction enjoyed. One of the two got bored because too easy for them to own the other faction. The other faction got too frustrated for not giving up with the game.

I don't agree. There are a lot of people that are buying the game now and aren't even aware of the app being released. They buy it because they like the 1 vs 4 gameplay (I immensely enjoy it). If no new content is released, those people will no longer buy the game. That would be a **** business decision. Most players of games are the ones who don't get organized and inform themselves online about what's to come - the majority of the player base is a bunch of people / families playing games together and buying what looks good on the shelf.

Findariel and ManateeX like this

1 hour ago, Hoppi said:

I don't agree. There are a lot of people that are buying the game now and aren't even aware of the app being released. They buy it because they like the 1 vs 4 gameplay (I immensely enjoy it). If no new content is released, those people will no longer buy the game. That would be a **** business decision. Most players of games are the ones who don't get organized and inform themselves online about what's to come - the majority of the player base is a bunch of people / families playing games together and buying what looks good on the shelf.

I'm a bit in the same boat. I think that with the loss of a "physical" Empire player, a lot of other things will get lost too.

Will the app take into account fluff stuff, will it have a "fluff mode" so monsters from Tatooine will not spawn on the moon of Endor, for instance?
Also the balancing bit where for instance the Empire player doesn't go all-out when the Rebels struggle .. will the app also take that into account?

Not sure what to think about all this and "app only" campaigns, to be honest. Is 4 players vs App the (only) future of IA?

Kunitzu San and neosmagus like this

Just judging by the amount of content that each expansion has brought, as well as considering the three different modes of play that you can engage with, I think any declarations of the app replacing the Imperial Player for the rest of the game's lifespan is a little premature. The only way how it can be judged is by what happens after this. I'm not a Descent player, but my understanding is that the one-vs-many dynamic of that game was still supported even after Road to Legend launched. Please correct me if I'm mistaken!

A hero can Rest. The heroes recover only strain when resting. Because Onar's ability says to recover 2 damage when resting, he recovers 2 damage when resting even without using a Medpac.

Heroes can also spend Emergency Medpacs when resting to recover damage. Heroes can also discard a Medpac when resting. (You need to perform the Rest action to use a Medpac.)

Edited by a1bert

After playing (and enjoying!) the first three missions of the app, I'd be almost positive that this will in no way replace their standard campaign releases.  Maybe they'll be slowed down a bit (after all, there are only going to be so many people designing missions at FFG) but the two game modes are so different that I really don't see one being a full-on replacement for the other.

I completed the (tutorial) campaign late last night after three evenings of fairly solid playing.  Really quite enjoyed it and thought that, for the most part, the Imperial priority instructions worked well.

There were a couple of occasions when I decided that (as a long-time Imperial player) it didn't make sense for (example) an Imperial probe droid to engage with three Rebel heroes and not either shoot or blow up. So to the detriment of my heroes I did both.

Equally bemusing were the number of times I would defeat an end of level boss for the instructions to say he escaped (twice, and admittedly for the sake of the story) and the third time it literally said the EoL boss couldn't be defeated. It must have been because I was tired that I didn't simply run my heroes past to freedom. Ah well.  Learning curve.

The only other strange bit (with the exception of Trandoshan Hunters and Nexu being on-board a Star Destroyer) was the unnatural movement.  For example, a Nexu being given the order to Pounce to an empty space adjacent to a Rebel within 6 spaces.  This made it a little tricky to plan movement of the heroes when trying to manage activation order.

All in all I have to say I liked it.  Here are a few pointers that I have learned to speed up the game (and make it more fun for all):

• Tile management - I have four freezer bags marked "Core Set 1-10", "Core Set 11-20", "Core Set 21-30" and "Core Set 31-39" (I also have two marked "Jabba x-y" and another two marked "Heart a-b" but I haven't need them yet) - It makes it really easy to find the specified tiles when a door is opened to expand the playing area.
  • Counter management - This is probably obvious but separating the hit/power/strain/condition tokens, terminals and crates, neutral and faction tokens also makes life really easy.
  • I had a sheet of A4 paper behind the map with the four heroes written on it.  By each name I had (for example) 12/5/5 denoting maximum Strength/Endurance/Speed.  As I couldn't work out how to allocate equipment to heroes on the app, it became frustrating trying to remember which hero had which upgrade.  I also recommend doing a similar line underneath each one dhowing what the values would be if they were wounded:

Shyla

12/5/5

12/4/4

• Lastly, if you value your job, set an alarm to tell you when it is midnight.  I played until 2a.m. the last two nights.  Only expresso forte has the answer.

Hope this helps.

On 12/3/2017 at 9:38 AM, aRandomBoardGamingDude said:

so was borrowing my friend's ipad to play it, one quick question; since you can't rest, does Onar recover an additional 2 when he uses a medpac?

I may have missed this.  Where does it say that you can't rest?

The final missions become virtually (if not actually) impossible

On 12/3/2017 at 0:49 PM, a1bert said:

A hero can Rest. The heroes recover only strain when resting. Because Onar's ability says to recover 2 damage when resting, he recovers 2 damage when resting even without using a Medpac.

Heroes can also spend Emergency Medpacs when resting to recover damage. Heroes can also discard a Medpac when resting. (You need to perform the Rest action to use a Medpac.)

Seen. Must read all the posts.  Thanks

2 hours ago, Green Squadron Pilot said:

By each name I had (for example) 12/5/5 denoting maximum Strength/Endurance/Speed.  As I couldn't work out how to allocate equipment to heroes on the app, it became frustrating trying to remember which hero had which upgrade.  I also recommend doing a similar line underneath each one showing what the values would be if they were wounded:

You're supposed to use their hero sheets and actual class and item cards on the table. How would you otherwise keep track of which abilities are exhausted / depleted at any point and what their strain costs are?

I used a similar system for their total Health / Endurance / Speed though. With 4 heroes remembering all armor and extras from class cards becomes a chore.

The OP,is just making "predictions"

Silly, because as long as SW IA will make FFG money they will continue publishing expansions for ALL 3 of its playing modes that co exist next to each other.

They CLEARLY stated this in the introduction. Apparently some people still want to steer the pot. 

No one is saying they finish off the traditional playing mode, nor the skirmish modes.

Mansions of Madness is a complete different story as the original was no longer selling. IA still sells as hot cakes through its newest traditional expansions.

Get over it. The OP is wrong on all accounts.

Edited by MMOfan

5 hours ago, Green Squadron Pilot said:
  • Lastly, if you value your job, set an alarm to tell you when it is midnight.  I played until 2a.m. the last two nights.  Only expresso forte has the answer.

LOL!  Since when being ambushed by a pair of Royal guards is not received as a valid excuse for being late at work? :lol:

Anybody’s app getting stuck I. The tutorial at Corporal Kish having you combat the remotes?  I can’t get past it?!?  Deleted the save and started fresh too.  No luck, keeps getting stuck there, with the arrow pointing down at him to end his activation, but can’t click him. :(