RufusDaMan

Trajectory Simulator Punishers

74 posts in this topic

This seems like a good starting point:

Chuckin’ Punish (27)

Cutlass Squadron Pilot (27) - TIE Punisher
Trajectory Simulator (1), •Bomblet Generator (3), Lightweight Frame (2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, in Epic play 5 Punishers with these and Proton bombs could be a thing.

Nym just got a Genius replacement, since it's going to function in pretty much the same way - drop a bomb on top of someone, and then bump them and ignore the bomb's effects.

kingofpain97 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Astech said:

Well, in Epic play 5 Punishers with these and Proton bombs could be a thing.

Nym just got a Genius replacement, since it's going to function in pretty much the same way - drop a bomb on top of someone, and then bump them and ignore the bomb's effects.

But loses Advanced sensors mobility, which is nice, and while these bombs cover a large area, I think they are significantly harder to aim than the previous incarnation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TIE Punishers could have some use of it now shooting bombs so the bombs will work on them. But again pilot skill is going to play a big factor here since the bombs will be deployed in activation making something for those high pilot skill ships to avoid. Now we can call those arc dodgers bomb dodgers and if they are any good should be able to get out of those things.

Knave Squawk and kingofpain97 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cutlass Squadron Pilot (21)
Trajectory Simulator (1)
Unguided Rockets (2)
Bomblet Generator (3)
Lightweight Frame (2)

Total: 29


This looks potentially really great to me. For 29 points you get a ship with 9 HP, 1,5 Agility and 2,5 ATK, which also gets to lob bombs at the enemy's face every time before it moves, then attack normally in the combat phase. When left alone, it can do AT LEAST 1 dmg every turn.

When NOT left alone, it takes the heat off of the aces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Captain Pellaeon said:

Cutlass Squadron Pilot (21)
Trajectory Simulator (1)
Unguided Rockets (2)
Bomblet Generator (3)
Lightweight Frame (2)

Total: 29


This looks potentially really great to me. For 29 points you get a ship with 9 HP, 1,5 Agility and 2,5 ATK, which also gets to lob bombs at the enemy's face every time before it moves, then attack normally in the combat phase. When left alone, it can do AT LEAST 1 dmg every turn.

When NOT left alone, it takes the heat off of the aces.

Again you are going to want high pilot skill. So forget Cutlass. Redline and Death Rain are going to be your got to. Thing is I am not exactly sure Death rain was before this and you don't get the full ability. Redline is higher but only at a 7 and no EPT for VI. You are going to have a hard time catching anything 8 or higher, but once you go bombs you really shouldn't put points into missiles/torpedoes other than EM. You can't throw mines at them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

Again you are going to want high pilot skill. So forget Cutlass. Redline and Death Rain are going to be your got to. Thing is I am not exactly sure Death rain was before this and you don't get the full ability. Redline is higher but only at a 7 and no EPT for VI. You are going to have a hard time catching anything 8 or higher, but once you go bombs you really shouldn't put points into missiles/torpedoes other than EM. You can't throw mines at them.

Why would I want higher PS? Launching bombs is a before movement option, lower PS moves first. I would think that the best chances of punching someone in the face with a bomb, or forcing someone to fly through it, is moving first. Higher PS seems detrimental for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Captain Pellaeon said:

Why would I want higher PS? Launching bombs is a before movement option, lower PS moves first. I would think that the best chances of punching someone in the face with a bomb, or forcing someone to fly through it, is moving first. Higher PS seems detrimental for me.

Because you're dropping 'on reveal' bombs if you're using this (you can't use action bombs) which go off after the target has moved and performed any SLAM, boost and barrel roll actions. 

Higher pilot skill = dropping on a target that will still be there when the bomblet detonates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Captain Pellaeon said:

Why would I want higher PS? Launching bombs is a before movement option, lower PS moves first. I would think that the best chances of punching someone in the face with a bomb, or forcing someone to fly through it, is moving first. Higher PS seems detrimental for me.

Does not launch bombs with actions so no mines. You can't net someone with a clustermine token like you could with deathrain. That leaves bomblet and the other token bombs that detonate at the end of the activation phase.

So all you do is put out a token that is pretty much a all those that land range 1 from me get bad stuff to happen at the end of movement. For the lower pilot skill that have already moved this is bad for for higher pilot skill if they have reposistion such as boost and/or barrelroll even if they did overlap they could reposistion themselves outside of range 1. 

You are not going to be punching anyone in the face, you are just going to be setting up danger areas for ships to clear or be punished, not detonate if maneuver templates overlap.

@Magnus Grendel :ph34r:

Edited by Marinealver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Marinealver said:

you are just going to be setting up danger areas for ships to clear or be punished, not detonate if maneuver templates overlap.

@Magnus Grendel :ph34r:

And that's not good enough for 29 points? It's a distraction which forces the opponent to waste its action on reposition or suffer a damage. Leaving the ship tokenless and potentially more vulnerable to attack.

I don't envision the Punisher suddenly becoming horseman of the apocalypse thanks to Trajectory Sim, but it least gives it utility by forcing the opponent to either shoot it to get rid of it altogether, leaving my more dangerous ships alone, or constantly reposition to avoid it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Captain Pellaeon said:

And that's not good enough for 29 points? It's a distraction which forces the opponent to waste its action on reposition or suffer a damage. Leaving the ship tokenless and potentially more vulnerable to attack.

I don't envision the Punisher suddenly becoming horseman of the apocalypse thanks to Trajectory Sim, but it least gives it utility by forcing the opponent to either shoot it to get rid of it altogether, leaving my more dangerous ships alone, or constantly reposition to avoid it.

For 29 points no, you will want more than a distraction taking up 1/3 of your list. 22 maybe but since the Punisher costs 21 it is not going to make it. You could spend another 5 or 6 points to actually make the bombs hit something but again the pilot skill is middling at best and with no EPTs. It is very clear that whatever the devs intended to do when designing this ship it failed miserably. Yes the Punisher gets a much needed bone but it isn't a big one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually think two low PS punishers with TS could be pretty annoying.  That's a lot of board area to avoid if they're both launching bombs on the approach.

The Empire needs its bomb crew (a la Sabine and Cad Bane)

I nominate Captain Phasma!

clanofwolves likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

For 29 points no, you will want more than a distraction taking up 1/3 of your list. 22 maybe but since the Punisher costs 21 it is not going to make it. You could spend another 5 or 6 points to actually make the bombs hit something but again the pilot skill is middling at best and with no EPTs. It is very clear that whatever the devs intended to do when designing this ship it failed miserably. Yes the Punisher gets a much needed bone but it isn't a big one.

I think it might still be a nice toy for Deathrain.

No, you don't get a free barrel roll on launching (because it specifies dropping) but it still adds additional options for where to heft a bomblet - and turning fast enough to avoid your own bombs is a lot easier with a small base!

It's not massively better than advanced sensors - you get a launch forward 5 instead of boost, drop forward 1, which are pretty similar target points - but you have a wider choice of breakaway moves

At the same time it does cost you bank boost/drop, which turns your threat zone from a line ahead of you into a nice big forward 'horseshoe'.

Most importantly it's saving you 2 points; it depends what Deathrain (or anyone else in your squad) gets for it (Unguided Rockets might be a good starting suggestion).

Marinealver likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hannes Solo said:

As 'launch' != 'drop' Deathrain won't get his barrel roll for launching, right?

Almost positive it’s a no, but there is some weird timing that may allow it. 

You can always EI, launch the proton, then EI the cluster. Pretty expensive deathrain though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Almost positive it’s a no, but there is some weird timing that may allow it. 

You can always EI, launch the proton, then EI the cluster. Pretty expensive deathrain though. 

I do nor get what you mean withEI.

---

I like the Idea of massing this Bomb lobbers. It feels a bit like WW2 style flak barrages and it would potentially wreck swarms (if they where a thing (@FFG you can bring some substantial Swarm-Love without breaking the game (more) now.))

Cutlass Squadron Pilot (25) - TIE Punisher
Trajectory Simulator (1), •Bomblet Generator (3)

Bring 4 of them. Its for sure not competetive but it could be fun

 

 

 

Edited by Hannes Solo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a game using this a few weeks back to test it out.

Cutlass Squadron Pilot — TIE Punisher 21

Trajectory Simulator 1

Unguided Rockets 2

Bomblet Generator 3

Lightweight Frame 2

Ship Total: 29 

Cutlass Squadron Pilot — TIE Punisher 21

Trajectory Simulator 1

Extra Munitions 2

Unguided Rockets 2

Thermal Detonators 3

Proton Bombs 5

Lightweight Frame 2

Ship Total: 36 

Cutlass Squadron Pilot — TIE Punisher 21

Trajectory Simulator 1

Extra Munitions 2

Unguided Rockets 2

Seismic Charges 2

Proton Bombs 5

Lightweight Frame 2

Ship Total: 35 

My opponent was using a rebel squad that is probably 2nd tier but he had used it several times before.  As a player he is pretty good and normally makes the cut at store champs.

I did not get my initial approach quite right, would deff need to practice that, but the game was tight, at 75 mins I had actually won, we were enjoying ti so we kept going and I lost in the end.

It was a really fun and different squad to fly, my opponent also really enjoyed flying against it, the areas of board control and him not knowing if and when the bombs would drop / launch really made tough choices for him.  When proton bombs work they are really good as well, real shame ordinance silos cant be used on these a Cutlass with TS, UR, PB, OS, LWF would come in at 33 points.  Having 4 Proton bombs would be real nice.

Trevor Goodchild likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hannes Solo said:

I do nor get what you mean withEI.

---

I like the Idea of massing this Bomb lobbers. It feels a bit like WW2 style flak barrages and it would potentially wreck swarms (if they where a thing (@FFG you can bring some substantial Swarm-Love without breaking the game (more) now.))

Cutlass Squadron Pilot (25) - TIE Punisher
Trajectory Simulator (1), •Bomblet Generator (3)

Bring 4 of them. Its for sure not competetive but it could be fun

 

 

 

Bomblet generator is unique so only 1 ship can have it.

Hannes Solo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marinealver said:

For 29 points no, you will want more than a distraction taking up 1/3 of your list.

Oh come on, Biggs with R4-D6 was 26 points and was nothing more than a distraction in your list. For 3 points more, you get a ship with much better damage potential, slightly worse agility but the much better HP pool compensates for it. If one's really short on points, just leave UR out, that will make it cost 27.

Omega Leader with Juke and CR is also just a nuisance for the opponent for 26 points. TR Sim Cutlass can do more dmg, IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Captain Pellaeon said:

Oh come on, Biggs with R4-D6 was 26 points and was nothing more than a distraction in your list. For 3 points more, you get a ship with much better damage potential, slightly worse agility but the much better HP pool compensates for it. If one's really short on points, just leave UR out, that will make it cost 27.

Omega Leader with Juke and CR is also just a nuisance for the opponent for 26 points. TR Sim Cutlass can do more dmg, IMHO.

If Biggs was just a distraction he would have never been nerfed. You can easily ignore cutlass squadrons not at your own peril. You need something a bit more to either guarantee damage or guarantee no damage.

Now put those in Epic when they can hit huge ships they would be good, but epic doesn't get any attention. 

Edited by Marinealver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't tried it but I certainly will:

  • Cutlass Squadron - Trajectory Simulator, Thermal Detonators, Harpoon Missiles, Extra Munitions, Long-Range Scanners (31pts)

The benefit of Trajectory Simulator is that if you slow-roll a 1 Forward the bomb covers your R1 hole of your missile shots.  I've not worked out the geometry of it yet, but I think it's possible you can fire your first Harpoon at long range than do a 1 fwd, still be at r3 to reacquire your TL, then cover your R1 bubble with the Thermal.

I would consider that as the 3rd ship in a Vader/QD alpha list, for instance.  The opponent has to dedicate a lot of fire to bringing down the Punisher before it causes havoc, and that's all shots which aren't taking out your main guys.

 

Also: anybody putting Unguided Rockets on anything needs their heads examined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come at me frontaly!

Cutlass Squadron Pilot (21)
Trajectory Simulator (1)
Unguided Rockets (2)
Bomblet Generator (3)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Cutlass Squadron Pilot (21)
Trajectory Simulator (1)
Extra Munitions (2)
Unguided Rockets (2)
Ion Bombs (2)
Seismic Charges (2)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Colonel Vessery (35)
Expertise (4)
Ion Cannon (3)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
TIE/D (0)

Total: 100

I will try this. Not sure on Vesserys Gun and the not-Blet.Gen. Punishers loadout

EDIT: Perhaps leave out the TM2 on vessery and upgrade the Ion Bombs to thermal detonators for potential getting stress + ion one someone.

Edited by Hannes Solo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Marinealver said:

You can easily ignore cutlass squadrons not at your own peril.

Of course you can ignore the Cutlass, but then you have the choice of either eating 1-2  dmg per turn (bomblet + primary weapon or UR), or spending your actions dancing on the table to avoid bomblets,messing up your approach and defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now