Dengars Toilet Paper

What Colour should my Wash/Shade paint be?

7 posts in this topic

So I have been reading http://xwingminiaturespainting.com/what-paints-to-use-for-your-x-wing-miniatures and its super helpful,

In the article it Says the different types of paint needed to make a nice paint job the first is Base Paint and I am wanting a Black and White Theme so I am going to chose a Black Base Paint but then later in the article it says

Wash or Shade:
Very thin, almost watery. You usually don’t need to thin it down any more. Comes in different colours but most commonly used in black. Intended to add depth to your model by flowing into the recesses. Can be used on the whole model.

So Most people use Black but what colour should I use considering my base paint is black will it still have the same effect and look good? 

Cheers in advanced :)

12 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

You wouldn't normally need to wash black, no.  But you would want to highlight it a bit.

Thanks but What do you mean by highlight? 

Paint... highlights... on it.

With a dark grey, probably followed up by a mid grey and maybe a white, depending on how shiny you want it to look.

Just painting single flat colours doesn't look very good, and the usual ways of adding depth (i.e. washes) don't work on black.

See e.g. this ship for a (not brilliantly executed) example.

11 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Paint... highlights... on it.

With a dark grey, probably followed up by a mid grey and maybe a white, depending on how shiny you want it to look.

Just painting single flat colours doesn't look very good, and the usual ways of adding depth (i.e. washes) don't work on black.

See e.g. this ship for a (not brilliantly executed) example.

Yeah I assumed that’s what you ment but just making sure it isn’t some special painting word

Nice paint, I see what you mean I will make a note of that.Cheers

If your going for white and black I'd prime white, it takes far fewer layers to paint black on white than the other way around, as for adding depth a wattered down blackwash on the white should be enough alongside a dark grey drybrush/overbrush on the black, you could do a whitewash (like a blackwash but with a different shade) but I don't think it'd work as well

Edited by mad mandolorian
I perfer to wash last but I know not everyone agrees