Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NoShieldsAllGuts

yes, Harpooned! does that

80 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Thormind said:

Before fixing the scouts they realeased thats just as OP and gave it a missile that's worst than plasma torp. They already made 1 nerf and i'm sure they will need to make some more. Just like they did with the JMKs.

Yea, FFG has a very bad tendency to over-correct when they try to 'fix' things or buff up some under-used mechanic, and then doubling down with expansions to those fixes that end up getting produced before the first round of of the "fix" hits store shelves and effects the meta.  Autothrusters, for instance, effectively drove turrets to extinction when Wave 6 dropped and catapulted High PS Mobile Aces back to the top, which was already just swapping one problem for another.  Yet, FFG then continued to double-down on this "ace fix" with others cards hot on the heels of AT, like Palpatine and X7, which were entirely unnecessary by the time they hit store shelves and created ships that were, without much exaggeration, immune to attack dice.  Guidance Chips, Extra Munitions, and cheaper ordnance (e.g. Plasma Torps) and cheap platforms (JM5K) created a nightmare alpha strike meta, and this continues to be exacerbated by overly efficient new ordnance like Cruise Missiles and now Harpoons, which entirely obsolete even Cruise Missiles.  The same thing happened concurrently as bombs got attention, where Sabine and EM and Conner Nets and Clusters became semi-viable options, but then were hurtled to meta-defining prominence when Clusters were errata'ed to increase their effectiveness and even better bombs (Bomblet) and bomb platforms (Nym) were released. Time will tell if/how the contents of the Resistance Bomber will augment the bomb-meta, just like we'll have to see if/how the Gunboat augments the alpha strike meta.

It's like FFG has a really hard time telling when to take their foot off of the gas, and I feel like most of the time the things that get "fixed" become worse monsters than anything they rose up to challenge in the meta.

3 hours ago, Lightrock said:

Harpooned! condition is assigned after the harpoon missiles attack resolves. If it's already on the target, it is triggered on being hit (by any attack).  And "being hit" happens in the "compare results" step. That's definitely not "after 10 steps are completed".

Sorry, i did not express myself properly. I should have used the word assigned instead of trigger. It is assigned after the attack is resolved wich should be after all the 10 steps are done (including the 10th one). Thus the "ship destroyed" happens before the attack is resolved. It does not trigger the harpooned condition because it is not assigned yet.

On 11/22/2017 at 11:39 AM, Lyynark said:

It has more or less made every other missile obsolete. I have this feeling that Harpoon missiles will end up being this via some future errata:

"If this attack hits, the defender suffers one damage and is assign the "Harpooned" condition. Then cancel all dice results."

If it had this effect, was 3 dice, and cost 3 points, it would have been a perfectly balanced card that still saw play.

Right now, it's just utterly stupid.  There is not a single missile worth taking over it as far as raw damage per cost/ease of deployment is concerned, nevermind the splash damage on top of that.

Edited by RampancyTW
Lyynark likes this

On 11/28/2017 at 0:56 PM, RampancyTW said:

If it had this effect, was 3 dice, and cost 3 points, it would have been a perfectly balanced card that still saw play.

Right now, it's just utterly stupid.  There is not a single missile worth taking over it as far as raw damage per cost/ease of deployment is concerned, nevermind the splash damage on top of that.

I totally agree, but I think it should be 2 damage, then assign a harpoon result.    It it should be if the ship has no shields, and takes damage assign a harpoon result.