Matt3412

3rd Faction?? Hutts or a Crime syndicate

That would be a way to do it.  I guess for me a faction should have a unified goal that the faction strives to achieve.  In that way a "scum" faction seems like a lazy way to say everyone that isn't Empire or Rebellion.  I would like to see a droid army and the clone army had a bunch of equipment that I would like to see in the game.  Clone troopers would also be more interesting to paint, but they are just earlier stormtroopers so there wouldn't be much variety in terms of stats.  Personally I think you could make the Hutt crime syndicate, Black sun, and Droid Gotra as unique factions that would have their own unique play styles.

I would say that boba Fett getting along with a few squads of pirates and some gammorean warriors to accomplish a specific objective is very believable. Legion is barely even a platoon level game. The rebellion is certainly not homogenous either. We have learned that from Star wars rebels and rogue one. You have small cells like Phoenix squadron that don't get much help from the larger rebellion and then you even have splinter groups like saw gerreras partisans who don't even associate with the rebels any more. On the imperial side there are also people who either don't get along or work in direct opposition to each other, they just have advantage of a unifying emperor. People like tarkin, krennic and Vader would be murdering each other receipt for the cause.

14 minutes ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

I would say that boba Fett getting along with a few squads of pirates and some gammorean warriors to accomplish a specific objective is very believable. Legion is barely even a platoon level game. The rebellion is certainly not homogenous either. We have learned that from Star wars rebels and rogue one. You have small cells like Phoenix squadron that don't get much help from the larger rebellion and then you even have splinter groups like saw gerreras partisans who don't even associate with the rebels any more. On the imperial side there are also people who either don't get along or work in direct opposition to each other, they just have advantage of a unifying emperor. People like tarkin, krennic and Vader would be murdering each other receipt for the cause.

yes but the Rebellions goal is to resist and overthrow the empire.  They may not have agreed on the best way to do that but that was the goal of the rebel cells and saws partisans.  As you said in your last sentence the empire is still all working toward the cause, controlling the galaxy.  I cant think of a single unifying cause that all of the different Scum options would be working for.  The thing about Boba Fett and other bounty hunters is they aren't commanders, and they will work for anyone given enough credits.  In the movies you see Boba Fett work for both the Empire and the Hutts, and if he hadn't died in the sarlac I'm sure he would have taken jobs for the New Republic to hunt down the Imperial Remnat.  I am personally in favor of the Bounty Hunters being able to be apart of any army.

1 hour ago, jcmonson said:

yes but the Rebellions goal is to resist and overthrow the empire.  They may not have agreed on the best way to do that but that was the goal of the rebel cells and saws partisans.  As you said in your last sentence the empire is still all working toward the cause, controlling the galaxy.  I cant think of a single unifying cause that all of the different Scum options would be working for.  The thing about Boba Fett and other bounty hunters is they aren't commanders, and they will work for anyone given enough credits.  In the movies you see Boba Fett work for both the Empire and the Hutts, and if he hadn't died in the sarlac I'm sure he would have taken jobs for the New Republic to hunt down the Imperial Remnat.  I am personally in favor of the Bounty Hunters being able to be apart of any army.

Yes but this game is not about the grand scale war. It is about individual platoon sized engagements. I suppose with characters like Boba or Dengar, keeping them as mercenaries might make sense but that still doesn't rule out a criminal faction. There are plenty of reasons why pirates or bounty hunters would be engaging rebels or the empire. This game is about taking objectives.  That could be a crate of kyber crystals or a holocron, things that people looking to make money would want. There it's also the mechanical side to consider. Right now we have a faction that uses heavier armored troopers and a faction of highly mobile hard hitting troopers. We do not have a faction that employs a horde of cheap units. That would fit scum really well!  Cheap weequay pirates armed with blaster pistols and vibroblades.

yeah I'm not against criminal factions, I just think they should be their own factions, that's all. I think that the Hutts and Black Sun could be made different enough to be made as seperate factions. The Droid Gorta could have the cheap swarm type armies with the B1 battle droid creating an oversized (8 or 9) in a single army group but don't have a surge.  the Hutts could have a standard army unit of Gamoreans that take 2 damage per unit and a defensive surge but has a max of 5.  Both of those would play differently and could have their own factions built around those styles. I guess I'm more against all of the scum factions being lumped into a single large faction, when they could bring about several unique play styles in their own factions.

Edited by jcmonson

5 hours ago, jcmonson said:

I cant think of a single unifying cause that all of the different Scum options would be working for.

The opportunity for making more credits.

That said I'd prefer a distinct Hutt faction and a distinct Black Suns/Exchange whatever faction over a generic Scum faction, though I'd be fine with the latter. Hutt could be more focused on beasts, bountyhunters and skiffs. Black Suns or Exchange more on swoopbikes, hitmen/assassins and mechs. Mandalorians would be nice as a separate faction too.

None of this would preclude FFG from releasing certain 'mercenary' units that can be used by any army.

Edited by Lord Tareq

I didn't think of it from that point of view. Though like you I would still prefer to have the separate factions for major crime syndicates. Hopefully the new Han Solo movie will give us more material to draw from.

22 hours ago, Hannes Solo said:

They could go with some kind of subfaction system that allows crossovers but promote staying mostly in faction.
I do not like to see the Republic and the CIS I understand that thei offer a lot of material but crossing timelines is poison for the immersion.
The best things about the clone war material could be brought into the GCW anyway. It makes a lot sense that clone war weapons and material are still used in the GCW and 90% of the CIS could come to legion as Droid Gothra Scum subfaction anyway. The remaining waste of clones and gungans is pretty dull anyway.

What is so bad about breaking immersion, though? What-if scenarios are pretty popular, and pretty enjoyable, too. I like how in X-Wing you can answer the question What if Kylo Ren actually worked together with Darth Vader?" Turns out they would have made a spectacular team. Or how you can test who is better in a dogfight, Wedge in his prime or Poe?

Nothing stops you from staying in era if you don't want to do that, but having the option is fun.

1 hour ago, jcmonson said:

I didn't think of it from that point of view. Though like you I would still prefer to have the separate factions for major crime syndicates. Hopefully the new Han Solo movie will give us more material to draw from.

That's a really good point, This would be coming out right around the time people are thinking, we need another army or 2.... 

Also in game terms, clones, Stormtroopers and first order troopers are not really different in any meaningful way. Same with rebel vs resistance troopers. The only thing that really stands out as different is the Droid army. But as jcmonson pointed out there is a Canon reason to include them I'm a scum/criminal faction.

Totally need a 3rd faction that just brings in all the other smaller factions to the game.

Makes sense that Imps/Rebs can all acquire some Bounty Hunters or Mandalorians, we've even seen it in canon already. There are just SOME units that I dont see aligning with either though. Black Sun, Hutts, etc... This also works well if they decide to create Clone Wars units since all of those 3rd parties were involved in 1 way or the other.

Edited by Xodis
clarity

I'd personally rather see S&V as a hireable set of units that any faction can use.  Most of the iconic units for them would be bounty hunters anyways.

The PT factions should be their own factions.  There is a ton of material there to use, and they would have two individual play styles - the CIS would be the cheap and cheerful Soviet-equivalent army, maybe with loosened army-building rules to allow for more units, and the Republic would be expensive but highly competent troops, good at both offense and defense (good dice and surge conversions for both).

Why just 3 factions?

I would like to see more than 3 factions. Maybe wave 2 could have The Empire, Rebels, and introduce a 1 time Tusken faction. Wave 3 could again have the Empire, Rebels and a Mandalorian faction.

My feeling is that Star Wars is too big to be put into 3 groups or Factions.  For this game to grow to its full potential I think we should be thinking 3-5 years down the road. Just my thoughts.

2 hours ago, Portage said:

Why just 3 factions?

I would like to see more than 3 factions. Maybe wave 2 could have The Empire, Rebels, and introduce a 1 time Tusken faction. Wave 3 could again have the Empire, Rebels and a Mandalorian faction.

My feeling is that Star Wars is too big to be put into 3 groups or Factions.  For this game to grow to its full potential I think we should be thinking 3-5 years down the road. Just my thoughts.

I agree with you. I think the game should have a large emphasis on Empire & Rebels while also introducing smaller Army In A Box factions that'd be good on their own, albeit with limited options (but maybe slightly above-par in terms of strengths, to help with their lack of diversity). This way, for people such as myself, that really want to run droids and hutt cartels as my primary factions, I could just get the Army In A Box kits for Droid Gotra & Hutt cartels (a few for each). And I know there are others that want Tuskens, Black Sun, and Mandalorians, and those could be doable with the 'Army In A Box' model, because otherwise we'd end up with Jabba leading Tuskens & Gangsters while supported by Droidekas and Mandalorians.

Edited by Alino

27 minutes ago, TylerTT said:

I found a picture of the hut faction! 

sEJvXys_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Wow! The huts sure are some great advisories in the civil war period that can field serious armies worthy of legion!

I found these faction jokes funny the first erm... 1 times, although now it just feels like you're trolling on the threads where you post them.

I’m done trolling. Apologies.

from the newer Star Wars stuff I have read it simply feels like the crime elements are just too convenient as partners for the empire.  They fight some times but I see them negotiating more than fighting war with the empire. Thus like in armada those characters show up as part of the empire faction.

Could they throw in whole factions of post ROTJ Wookiee’s, mandolins, hut buddies and such? Sure but I’m guessing they will be allied with one side or another. 

On 24/11/2017 at 8:49 PM, devin.pike.1989 said:

I am hoping they keep it gcw.  Clone wars would be so much better suited to a 15mm game.  Running a squadron of AT-TEs over the ground with LAAT gunships on flight stands would be so freaking cool.

I wish this was that scale. Then it could be a large scale battle with bunkers and at-ats

They haven't said. I expect them to maintain their "no miniatures for anything that has appeared only in the Clone Wars era" stance, but that's guesswork on my part based on X-wing, Armada and IA.

Likewise, my guess is that we will see New Trilogy Era stuff eventually, like X-Wing did after a while.

Trying to get a solid answer from FFG Pugh is like trying to nail down a politician :P

Edited by Extropia

On 23/11/2017 at 1:24 PM, Copes said:

I'm not the person you're quoting, but I think he thinks similarly to myself - the criminal faction exists, but they don't necessarily always work together (in many cases they work against one another, are out to kill one another, etc.) and more often then not are "hired' or are "unlikely allies" with either side. 

Boba Fett wasn't loyal to the Empire, he simply accepted a bounty.
Jango Fett wasn't loyal to the Separatists, he simply was paid to be the basis of the Clones.
Hondo Ohnaka wasn't loyal to the Galactic Republic or the Rebels, he was simply taking whatever side made him the most money. 

So we have a large number of characters that exist for personal gain, not to push a cause against conflicting causes. They are hired guns - and subsequently would make a fantastic option to act as mercenaries on any team. 

If the Rebels was willing to put a bounty on General Veers' head after Hoth, isn't it possible that maybe some of the Bounty Hunters would have gone after him? That's not to say the Bounty Hunters are loyal to the Rebels. They are just there to get paid.

Boba, Bossk, IG-88, Zam Wessel, Jango... all of these characters would be really cool as a "Scum and Villainy" faction, however, I would suggest that the Scum and Villiany can be included in any regular army, and they never have a "Commander" unit (since they all act independently) and therefore can never be used as a faction exclusively by themselves. The models need to be "allied" with a side that has a commander. 

I know many disagree with me, but I would personally love that setup. Adds a really neat level of strategy (you know you're playing an Empire opponent, but his Mercs could throw a curveball into how he plays).

I like the idea that certain units could be hired for any army but that does not remove the option for a third scum faction. IMO it even encouges the the idea that Black sun or the huts are big criminal organizations that can also hire those bounty hunter to fight along them or even pact alliances for their own interests etc...