Matt3412

3rd Faction?? Hutts or a Crime syndicate

I really want a third faction that could bring a new  play style that would give the game an interesting feel.  It especially would allow for some really cool unit types. 

Like what FFG did with Jabba's Realm below it was soooo cool. 

Image result for star wars imperial assault jabba's realm

A "Scum" faction would be a tough fit, I think.

It'd definitely be neat to see different eras, although sequel era is more likely than prequel era (but both would be neat). Maybe after the first two years or so, once OT Rebel/Empire are really fleshed out.

Personally, I think Kylo Ren leading First Order Stormtroopers and TLJ Royal Guard would be make for a fantastic looking army on the table, even if I'm not super fond of some of the other sequel designs.

1 hour ago, Lord Tareq said:

I'd like to see at least 5 or 6 different playable 'armies' for Legion. Just Rebels vs Imps won't cut it in the long run. A scum army would make sense and be an interesting addition.

Armada has 2 factions, but because of the various admirals you can use to command your fleet there are many different archetypes of fleets even with the two factions. I actually prefer this means of gaining variety because with just my collection of Rebels and Imperials I can now play more than one archetype of army. Ideally this works best if the armies and units are balanced as to have a deep meta within each faction.

New missions will also help give the game some additional variety, I think Legion has quite an interactive mission building system, but it will never hurt to get more missions, weather conditions and deployment options. 

Mind you we do have examples of planetary militia, and such that could easily become a unit or a faction unto themselves if the game needs expanding down faction lines.

I think a scum and villainy faction is super doable. I can think of a bunch of units off the top of my head:

Pirates: basic trooper unit. Mix of weequay, rodians, humans and devaronians.

Gammorean warriors: special forces unit with crazy hand to hand abilities

Gun skiffs: heavy units. A slower harder hitting repulsor vehicle.

Swoop bikes: a muscle car variant on speeder bikes.

Boba Fett, Dengar, Zuckuss, 4-LOM, Bossk, Hondo...  All of those could be leaders or characters.

For people who don't think bounty hunters and pirates should go toe to toe with imperials or rebels I would point you to clone wars or rebels. Both of those have some awesome moments with crime syndicates, pirates and bounty hunters taking on military forces.

I see 3 factions at most. As i've said elsewhere, the trend in the current digital canon of giving GCW rebels scavenged clone era tech doesn't bode well for making it work.

Edited by Ralgon

vs the imperials there are so many potential enemies.

Im sure they had planets to subdue at some point?  Why would they have ll that gear if they were not using it for so many years...just waiting for the Rebel Alliance to form?

Id actually quite like an Imperial Force fighting against  general 'planets' force like a local resistance movement or something.

I am actually against the introduction of mini factions mainly because it removes customizability from the existing factions. I would like to see a rebel faction, imperial faction and scum and villainy faction. I don't want to see a mandalorian faction, bespin faction and gungan faction because it means ffg will be releasing basic trooper units over and over again.

The larger scale FFG games tend to incorporate fringe characters and units as either rebel or imperial units. 

Jawas don’t have an army, jawas die to storm troopers. 

A jawa or two can provide some intresting encounters for a skirmish however.

ffg already has a Star Wars skirmish game with a huge variety of models.

15 hours ago, Lord Tareq said:

I'd like to see at least 5 or 6 different playable 'armies' for Legion. Just Rebels vs Imps won't cut it in the long run. A scum army would make sense and be an interesting addition.

ps. why is there a pair of floating legs on the ride side of that image?

Yes a scum army!! but i honestly just want as much content as possible for this game!

Also Yeah Google images Gives you some pretty interesting search results :lol: 

8 hours ago, Lanthal said:

Surely... SURELY you can't have a game like this and NOT go into Clone Wars era. 

That assumes they are actually allowed to.  There is not a single ship in X-Wing that hasn't been featured in some GCW era source, prior to them being put into the game.

A lot of people believe that FFG doesn't have the rights to use Clone Wars era stuff.  I'm not sure if that's true or not, but it's possible.

1 hour ago, chriscook said:

at rt AND Arc-170 from xwing are clone era

arc-170 has appeared in rebels, at-rt is mostly only in clone wars but also a couple comics which would maybe be enough? 

1 hour ago, chriscook said:

at rt AND Arc-170 from xwing are clone era

They are, but they also appeared in CWG era stuff like Rebels and comic books.  In fact the ARC didn't show up until after it was in Rebels.

So again, I'm not saying they can't use clone wars stuff, but so far they haven't used anything from Clone Wars unless it showed up in a CWG era source first.

With some imagination why can't Rebels be Partisans? Other "cells"?

3rd factions would be nice and if they keep it generic like people have noted above then there could be MANY playable 3rd faction alternatives also. 

A third faction shouldn't be a specific crime syndicate, but just "Scum and Villainy" in general if they go that route. 

I would prefer the faction be neutral, or "hireable" by the Rebels and Empire, but I would also be content with them as a third faction.

That said, my preference would be Republic and Separatists. I want a Battle Droid army so incredibly baddly.

I've weighed in on a similar topic before.

For good variability this game will need multiple factions (beyond Empire / Rebels) but SCUM should not be one - they should be 'Merc' like units that can be added to main faction armies.

Light Sides:
Republic Clone Army
The Rebel Alliance
The Resistance / New Republic

Dark Sides:
Confederacy of Independent Systems Droid Army
The Empire
The First Order

The only side on here that is not really fleshed out in the films so far is the Resistance / New Republic forces. I think VIII will fix that somewhat.
Everything else has lots of choices, including basic troops, recon units, and heavy support.

6 minutes ago, KryatDragon said:

I've weighed in on a similar topic before.

For good variability this game will need multiple factions (beyond Empire / Rebels) but SCUM should not be one - they should be 'Merc' like units that can be added to main faction armies.

Light Sides:
Republic Clone Army
The Rebel Alliance
The Resistance / New Republic

Dark Sides:
Confederacy of Independent Systems Droid Army
The Empire
The First Order

The only side on here that is not really fleshed out in the films so far is the Resistance / New Republic forces. I think VIII will fix that somewhat.
Everything else has lots of choices, including basic troops, recon units, and heavy support.

I'm curious as to why you don't like the idea of a scum faction.  The criminal factions of Star wars are hugely iconic and most definitely hold a massive amount of power and influence in the galaxy. They truly are a third faction in the actual movies (albeit one that works more in the shadows) and it would be a shame to see them relegated to a few tack on units and characters for the other factions. Mainly because the other factions have enough awesome stuff of their own.

4 hours ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

I'm curious as to why you don't like the idea of a scum faction.  The criminal factions of Star wars are hugely iconic and most definitely hold a massive amount of power and influence in the galaxy. They truly are a third faction in the actual movies (albeit one that works more in the shadows) and it would be a shame to see them relegated to a few tack on units and characters for the other factions. Mainly because the other factions have enough awesome stuff of their own.

I'm not the person you're quoting, but I think he thinks similarly to myself - the criminal faction exists, but they don't necessarily always work together (in many cases they work against one another, are out to kill one another, etc.) and more often then not are "hired' or are "unlikely allies" with either side. 

Boba Fett wasn't loyal to the Empire, he simply accepted a bounty.
Jango Fett wasn't loyal to the Separatists, he simply was paid to be the basis of the Clones.
Hondo Ohnaka wasn't loyal to the Galactic Republic or the Rebels, he was simply taking whatever side made him the most money. 

So we have a large number of characters that exist for personal gain, not to push a cause against conflicting causes. They are hired guns - and subsequently would make a fantastic option to act as mercenaries on any team. 

If the Rebels was willing to put a bounty on General Veers' head after Hoth, isn't it possible that maybe some of the Bounty Hunters would have gone after him? That's not to say the Bounty Hunters are loyal to the Rebels. They are just there to get paid.

Boba, Bossk, IG-88, Zam Wessel, Jango... all of these characters would be really cool as a "Scum and Villainy" faction, however, I would suggest that the Scum and Villiany can be included in any regular army, and they never have a "Commander" unit (since they all act independently) and therefore can never be used as a faction exclusively by themselves. The models need to be "allied" with a side that has a commander. 

I know many disagree with me, but I would personally love that setup. Adds a really neat level of strategy (you know you're playing an Empire opponent, but his Mercs could throw a curveball into how he plays).

For me, Scum actually fit into this much better than they do in X-Wing. There's a lot of novels/games etc featuring fights against pirates, gangs, Hutt Cartels and all sorts of other assorted stuff. Given the scale of the Legion games, a lot of criminal groups could muster that sort of force. in the case of the Hutts, it'd barely even ergister on their radar as a force at all.

That being said, it'd be a distant priority on my "wants" list, but i'd certainly not have an issue with it. And for sure certain scum/independents should also work for 1 or both of the "main" factions.

Edited by Extropia

No reason you can't do that with "scum vs scum", but i know what you mean.

That said, i really doubt that we'll see more than 1 scum-like faction unless this game ends up becoming huge beyond any predictions, even if i'd personally be delighted if we eventually ended up with every possible faction and sub-faction.

Hey....i can dream :P

1 hour ago, jcmonson said:

I just hope they aren't all lumped into one "scum" faction. As was mentioned before they would fight with each other just as much if not more than with the rebels or empire.

They could go with some kind of subfaction system that allows crossovers but promote staying mostly in faction.
I do not like to see the Republic and the CIS I understand that thei offer a lot of material but crossing timelines is poison for the immersion.
The best things about the clone war material could be brought into the GCW anyway. It makes a lot sense that clone war weapons and material are still used in the GCW and 90% of the CIS could come to legion as Droid Gothra Scum subfaction anyway. The remaining waste of clones and gungans is pretty dull anyway.