Jump to content
werdnaegni

Legends of the Alliance - IA App Coming Soon

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Otakuon said:

1. How long is "soon"?  (We know from prior history that in FFG parlance, "soon" can mean anything from tomorrow to 6 months from now).

 

mhqaw.jpg

Well, in the past with Descent and MM apps, soon wasn't actually all that far off. At least this isn't on the boat for the next 3 months.

BTW, when this hits the app stores, apple is always late to the party by a day or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Conviction said:

I am wondering, if the first instruction is an attack and they can't do it(skip), and the 2nd and 3rd instructions are both "move" instructions, do we just move the Imps two times, or do we go back to instruction 1 after completing instruction the 2nd?

Good question!

The Instruction List section uses a "top to bottom" approach when resolving instructions. Nothing about returning to previous instructions or ensuring that Imperial figures max out on actions.

Maybe this is where the Imperial Rule comes into play?

1) Can't attack. Skip

2) Resolve Move

3) Stormtrooper is now in LOS of attack target. What's more punishing: attacking or moving?

It’s also gonna be weird when stormtroopers are moving 3 to attack and repositioning 2. That’s 5 movement points plus an attack!

Competitive mode = 4 movement points plus attack or double move for 8 movement points. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Armandhammer said:

Good question!

The Instruction List section uses a "top to bottom" approach when resolving instructions. Nothing about returning to previous instructions or ensuring that Imperial figures max out on actions.

Maybe this is where the Imperial Rule comes into play?

1) Can't attack. Skip

2) Resolve Move

3) Stormtrooper is now in LOS of attack target. What's more punishing: attacking or moving?

It’s also gonna be weird when stormtroopers are moving 3 to attack and repositioning 2. That’s 5 movement points plus an attack!

Competitive mode = 4 movement points plus attack or double move for 8 movement points. 
 

Yeah, in the Descent app the bad guys could friggin DASH around the map, especially say the flesh moulders. Their first action often would be move (4) to LoS and attack, second action was then Retreat 4. I saw these sort of commands on even 5 and 6 speed minions all the time which makes them a little tricky to get to, particularly in a game that focuses more on melee than IA’s range focus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I immediately went to the app store to download it, then read "coming soon" after I couldn't find it. *sigh* Oh well, what's a few more weeks or months of waiting at this point. :lol:

(is it done yet?)

Edited by Volcano467

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Conviction said:

I noticed that "finishes" too.  Very weird.  I think it's a typo.  Every other example says "continue with remaining instructions on the app" basically.

There seemed to be just one instruction in the list in the example, and that was finished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Yan31 said:

I'd love if there were a scenario editor tool with the app, so that fans share more love for the game.

The guy from valkyrie said it would be supported. So only a matter of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zrob314 said:

Moot

The word is moot, you can look it up.

The point is not "mute" it is "moot."  (Its nothing personal, I will do this every time)

Along with "It's," you have a comma splice in your parenthetical. Turn them into two sentences or use a semicolon. 

 

Anyway, I'm excited for this app and this serves as motivation to get my painting done pronto!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Armandhammer said:

For example, why is the stormtrooper in example 1 finished its activation after resolving the instruction? Shouldn't it have another action?

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 10.26.42 PM.png

It's phrased a bit weirdly for sure, but I think what they mean is "then it finishes the rest of its activation". It's strange that they only used that phrasing ("the rest of") in the Move X to Engage example and not the others, but that's what makes the most sense to me at least.

Anyway, I'm super excited for this! I really like the exploration aspect and the fact that they can do more interesting and varied stuff with crates. Moving armor and accessories to mission rewards so they don't have to compete with weapons seems like a smart decision. I was also never a fan of saving for the 4 xp cards first, even though it's often the smartest thing to do, so the more gradual class deck system sounds good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Volcano467 said:

I immediately went to the app store to download it, then read "coming soon" after I couldn't find it. *sigh* Oh well, what's a few more weeks or months of waiting at this point. :lol:

(is it done yet?)

It's because Fantasy Flight doesn't have the rights to sell it in the App Store. ? 

-ryanjamal 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, a1bert said:

There seemed to be just one instruction in the list in the example, and that was finished.

This is another explanation.

Maybe the Descent players can provide some insight: How often do entire groups receive 1 instruction?

Imagine a Hero is completely surrounded by adjacent stormtroopers. It's the Imperial's turn to activate. Everyone is ready for the slaughter, but only a single instruction is provided for the stormtrooper group: Move 2 to reposition 3. Rebel players celebrate? :lol:

I'm hoping this isn't a common scenario. Talk about relying on luck to get a group through a mission. Maybe this is where the difficulty setting kicks in. "Better trained" enemies = better instructions? 

Edited by Armandhammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mep said:

Better believe they had to work out a licensing deal to get this officially announced. EA is the worst but they just crashed and burned badly with battle front, so whatever pull they had got horribly weakened. Are the two related, maybe, maybe not, either way, a deal had to be worked out and deals can always be worked out. It is a hurtle that FFG had to over come and it is nice to see they finally did. Everybody wanted the app and nobody trusts EA to do the right thing or even just a nice thing. The 'haters' weren't hating on this app, but EA, and boy are the haters justified.

You have no proof there is an agreement and I have no proof there isn't. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter, because we have an app and all those knuckle draggers who said it was impossible can crawl back into their troll caves, aka moms basements, while we celebrate. 

Oh and obviously I'm right.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Armandhammer said:

This is another explanation.

Maybe the Descent players can provide some insight: How often do entire groups receive 1 instruction?

Imagine a Hero is completely surrounded by adjacent stormtroopers. It's the Imperial's turn to activate. Everyone is ready for the slaughter, but only a single instruction is provided for the stormtrooper group: Move 2 to reposition 3. Rebel players celebrate? :lol:

I'm hoping this isn't a common scenario. Talk about relying on luck to get a group through a mission. Maybe this is where the difficulty setting kicks in. "Better trained" enemies = better instructions? 

In the descent app, you run through the possible actions until you have taken your two actions with the monster, or it is not possible (like you have -> engage and -> attack, but because there is no space, you cannot engage). Most monster activations have more than two different actions. Like: Spot closest Hero. Attack closet Hero that is poisened. Attack closest Hero.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Armandhammer said:

This is another explanation.

Maybe the Descent players can provide some insight: How often do entire groups receive 1 instruction?

Imagine a Hero is completely surrounded by adjacent stormtroopers. It's the Imperial's turn to activate. Everyone is ready for the slaughter, but only a single instruction is provided for the stormtrooper group: Move 2 to reposition 3. Rebel players celebrate? :lol:

I'm hoping this isn't a common scenario. Talk about relying on luck to get a group through a mission. Maybe this is where the difficulty setting kicks in. "Better trained" enemies = better instructions? 

In the Descent app i never saw this happen exectly, but it can be nail biting as groups activate randomly so it could be that a weak group or a group with only one left goes before a group that would have pounded a character badly, or they switch target to someone that hasnt taken damage yet. I dont actually have a problem  with this as it keeps things interesting.

Also groups of monsters have a leader who either acts before or after the main group.

 

Edited by Corver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Armandhammer said:

Maybe the Descent players can provide some insight: How often do entire groups receive 1 instruction?

Probably never. My main point was that is was an example containing one instruction.

Edited by a1bert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Union said:

You can already play it solo by rolling dice for the Imperial figures, moving Imperial figures and making decisions for them.  The app isn't changing anything in that regard.  All it is doing is giving you less options for the Imperial figures, making them do some really stupid things sometimes.

I thought the ap makes the decisions? I think you just move them and I assume roll for them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Villakarvarousku said:

It's phrased a bit weirdly for sure, but I think what they mean is "then it finishes the rest of its activation". It's strange that they only used that phrasing ("the rest of") in the Move X to Engage example and not the others, but that's what makes the most sense to me at least.

Anyway, I'm super excited for this! I really like the exploration aspect and the fact that they can do more interesting and varied stuff with crates. Moving armor and accessories to mission rewards so they don't have to compete with weapons seems like a smart decision. I was also never a fan of saving for the 4 xp cards first, even though it's often the smartest thing to do, so the more gradual class deck system sounds good.

Maybe it's because English is not my first language but I understood that after the first stormtrooper has moved to have line of sight on Fenn it finishes his activation by performing his second action, which will most likely be an attack action (not explicitly written, but to me it is implied that to finish his activation, the stormtrooper will use a second action) .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for those that have played one of FFGs app based games:

Do these work well on a smartphone or will the screen be too small for a quality game experience?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

I thought the ap makes the decisions? I think you just move them and I assume roll for them?

The big difference is that if playing solo, you can read ahead to see what happens when you open the door or whatever. With the app you have a door and you dont know whats behind. do you rest and open the door or do you open it anyway and hope its ok?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, FSD said:

Question for those that have played one of FFGs app based games:

Do these work well on a smartphone or will the screen be too small for a quality game experience?

 

Better do do on PC or a tablet. Too fiddly for smartphone unless its a larger screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...