Sign in to follow this  
Kelvan

Scum and Villainy 63: HOLONET MAILBAG!

Kelvan asked for questions from the listeners, and got a ton! Included in this episode are queries as:

• If the cast members were Star Wars aliens, what aliens would they be?
  • For each cast member, what is their 'goto' upgrade?
  • What is your dream format for playing X-Wing?
  • What is the best list for a newbie?
  • What are your thoughts on the System Open Tournament structure?
  • What would it take to make formation flying viable?
  • What's a pilot ability you would like to see?
  • Who is the best Scum and Villainy podcast pilot?
  • What are your thoughts on the new trilogy and TV show?

https://scumvillainy.podbean.com/e/listener-mailbag/
Direct download

Sozin went rogue and picked out new music. Let us know if you like it!

Thanks to our Patreon Producers!

Matthew E Williams
Tim LeBeau
Mike Carpenter
Steve Harvey
Matthew Mavroides
Matt Foss
Christopher George
Mark L Tippett
Ethan Ward
Orpheus
Zack Mathews
Brian Lindamood
Hasan Khan
Matt Nute
Logan
Andrew Cravens
Campaigned
Guido Kessels
Gregory Nussbaum

7 minutes ago, Q10fanatic said:

Really really enjoyed the episode guys! Great discussion of different potential lists in the new meta. Very curious to hear y'all's thoughts on FAA. Also really enjoyed the bumper music, turned the volume up when it played in the car.

@sozin Is wallowing in "I told you so" on the music.

Very cool to have my question read on the cast! (My question was 'what is the most fun version of the game you can imagine?')

I'm very much on the record as thinking that X-wing is most fun when you can blend the thematic and competitive aspects of the game into one all-inclusive package, and I think that the best way to do that is in the form of some sort of campaign.  Interesting to hear so many of you had thoughts along the same lines!

So far, making this sort of game happen has fallen completely to the community: I'm thinking about Rekkon's galactic civil war, for one.  I also think Tyler mentioned Assault on Grayskull Base, (which is my baby). It was a lot of fun to run at Gencon, and we also have an ongoing global Grayskull campaign (we're compiling results from people running their own instances locally), including a very active Vassal instance of the campaign. Keep an eye out on vassal for those games! There should be a good amount of games over the next few nights, actually.  

33 minutes ago, Babaganoosh said:

Very cool to have my question read on the cast! (My question was 'what is the most fun version of the game you can imagine?')

I'm very much on the record as thinking that X-wing is most fun when you can blend the thematic and competitive aspects of the game into one all-inclusive package, and I think that the best way to do that is in the form of some sort of campaign.  Interesting to hear so many of you had thoughts along the same lines!

So far, making this sort of game happen has fallen completely to the community: I'm thinking about Rekkon's galactic civil war, for one.  I also think Tyler mentioned Assault on Grayskull Base, (which is my baby). It was a lot of fun to run at Gencon, and we also have an ongoing global Grayskull campaign (we're compiling results from people running their own instances locally), including a very active Vassal instance of the campaign. Keep an eye out on vassal for those games! There should be a good amount of games over the next few nights, actually.  

So before I really got into the competitive aspect of the game. This was really the only thing I wanted to do with it was RPG style campaigns like Aturi or Rekkon's GCW. I just was good at the game on accident and met people along the way.

47 minutes ago, Kelvan said:

Working on the Loot Table for the Patreons next episode!

O08BApo.png

all these goodies.  I should really look into becoming a patron.   Between my FLGS and the podcasts and teach and entertain me, I'll end up with zero dollars. :\

Is there a direct download for this that does not require loading the Podbean app on my phone? I'm using Android and don't belong to iTunes. Thanks!

Edited by probot
mispelling

7 hours ago, Babaganoosh said:

Speaking of finding your bliss, is anyone else itching to set up a Vassal-based PvP x-wing campaign?

I've been tumbling this idea around for a couple years.  Never spent more than idle thought on it, though.

Like a map based campaign where commanders send their subordinate players on missions against other players.

Edited by Biophysical

49 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

I've been tumbling this idea around for a couple years.  Never spent more than idle thought on it, though.

Like a map based campaign where commanders send their subordinate players on missions against other players.

I've also been kicking ideas around for a while.  I think the key would be simplicity. Having subordinates might be fun (for example there could be a Mynock squadron led by Dee Yun, haha).  

The campaign elements I keep coming back to are:

System map (but not necessarily a territory system)

Draft system for uniques

Pilot progression system (basic)

Campaign mission arc progression (basic; `~3 tiers of missions)

Victory Point economy (at least partial points for loss)(points spendable on ships? upgrades? pilots?)

Roster progression along a tech tree (?)

Affectable campaign-wide economy (ship, upgrade availability affectable with certain missions)

1 hour ago, probot said:

Is there a direct download for this that does not require loading the Podbean app on my phone? I'm using Android and don't belong to iTunes. Thanks!

Ok, I found a workaround to get a direct DL. I switched the browser to desktop view and it worked.

52 minutes ago, Babaganoosh said:

Lemme see what I can throw together... I've got a lot of material to steal from

In my idle musings on the subject, I also had rules for reliability.   So workhorse stuff like Y-wings and TIE Fighters were easily repaired/replaced, whereas cutting edge stuff and heavily modified ships stayed broken longer when it got damaged.  

I also had hyperspace ranges for all the ships and resupply requirements to give ships strategic advantages and not just tactical ones.  A ship like the TIE Advanced, for example, gets more interesting when it's the main-line fighter that is hyperspace capable, compared to a Defender, which requires more work to get in the field.  

Yes, I'm one of the several dozen nerds that finds the logistics of combat operations fascinating.

I like those logistics ideas! Very fun!

I think for a mass market campaign the byword has to be simplicity, though.  I can show you a 40 page rule handbook if you like complexity, but for this I think the campaign rules should be pretty pared down.  Paperwork and required reading should be a minimum