GILLIES291

If There Was a New Core Set

25 posts in this topic

It's been a couple years since we got the Force Awakens core set, so if another new one was launched, what would you want to see? 

Some options for ships:

Battle of Scarif: X-Wing, two TIE fighters/Strikers (just different paint jobs/pilots)

The Last Jedi: Recon T65, two TIE FO Bombers

Rebela: One TIE Defender, two X-wings with Rebel pilots and a major cost reduction title

New Jedi Order: Stealth X, two Chiss Clawcrafts (or don't hate too much but two coralskippers hahaha)

Those are just ideas that involve the X-Wing in one way or another. If you eliminate that caveat you could have all sorts of cool new starters.

As far as extra stuff goes it would be great to have included copies of ALL errated cards (I.E. Palpatine, Biggs, etc...) or even stickers to print and put onto our cards. 

Would be neat to even have a starter that is a campaign box as well, maybe come with even more ships (4-6) and make it HoTAC style where you can play cooperatively with a friend (or more) or imperial Assualt style against one player.

Updated rules book that contains all changes/FAQs/huge material too. 

Different coloured die, let's mix it up a bit so not just the top percentile can play with legal cool-looking die.

New damage deck

General rules changes like :

-letting ships use their agility number to reroll that many attack die when resolving a bomb hit. May help bring poor aces back a bit.

-As well as letting ships receive range bonuses against secondary weapon turret attacks, would really help nip TLT down to more reasonable. 

-Allowing initiative to change hands at a certain point.

Anyways those are my thoughts, what do you think?

If there was a new starter I feel that it's more important that it's in a different era then that it's X-wing vs. TIE fighter so that realistically leaves Clone Wars, which I personally would like to see Republic and CIS factions. I admit the prequiles had bad diologe and overly complex plot but this is a Starfighter game and the prequiles had some good space battles so I say that's what matters

warmdown and GILLIES291 like this

If we have a new core set I would like something close to Runewars :

X-Wing Miniatures Game Essentials Pack :

X-Wing Miniatures Game Essentials Pack contains action tokens and damage cards, attack and defense dice (3 each), a range ruler, and maneuver templates. Rulesbooks include.

Tokens : 10 focus / 5 evades / 10 shield / 3 target locks / 6 asteroids / 3 ions

X-Wing Miniatures Starter Pack :

X-Wing Miniatures Starter Pack contains fives miniatures, maneuver dials pilots and upgrades

Ships : X-Wing / TIE Fighter (x2) / Y-Wing / Tie Advanced

Upgrades cards : 6 generics / 2 uniques

Maneuver dials

News Pilots

Why two box ? Well let's me tell you why :

If you are a new player you will take both of them.

If you are a scum player and you don't want to pay a full core set.

If you lost some element and don't want pay again a full core set.

If you are a regular and want upgrade damage card and rules for tournament games.

If you want mutiple ships but without so much accessory, (Remember the first time you buy multiple core set to begin ?)

Edited by Arkanta974
the1hodgy and GILLIES291 like this

I'd want three single player starter sets similar to how Destiny releases separate starters for hero and villain.  One for each faction that includes two small base ships and an assortment of upgrades.  If they include one of the older ships that need a fix, this would be a great way to put in upgrades and attract new players at the same time.  Each would include a standard set of starter gear: damage decks, rule books, range rulers, tokens, etc.

The Rebel starter could include a T-65 X-Wing and A-Wing, both with new and redone pilot cards.  A title that adds the boost action to the X-Wing's action bar, and an A-Wing only missile upgrade that takes the place of Chardaan Refit and increases its primary weapon value to 3.

The Imperial starter could include a TIE Interceptor and a TIE Advanced.  Reprint the TIE Advanced Title and Advanced Targeting Computer from the Raider Box.  Then, include a mod that helps protects ships from bombs.  Flak Shielding. 1 point modification. "When a bomb within range 1 detonates, you may discard this card to ignore it until the end of the round."

The Scum starter could include the HWK-290 and an M3-A.  Both the Light and Heavy titles for the Interceptor, and a title for the Hawk which increases its primary weapon value to 2 and gives it a second crew slot.  Alternatively, they could replace the M3-A with a new ship from the Force Awakens era that also has a Tech Slot.

I would like to see a Battlefront 2 box; with X-Wing and TIE Fighter (repaints).

with a couple of updated titles for each; and an inferno squad TIE title adds a missile slot and a second different one that works with swarm; and a X-Wing title to give it some love (that allows you to equip an additional, modifications (and have the line (for the purpose of equipping upgrades; equipped ship has all actions in game on action bar)) <--- let's them have any mod but can't use the actions, and another one; that does something fun..

Obvious dual pilots so can pilot the x-wing and TIE. 

And to get the hooks into people an exclusive map pack code that can only come from this game.....clearly an EA move.

The new Starter is already in the making (it's the unannounced SKU) It is called Starwing the Miniature Game. Judging from the name we could assume at least one GUNBOAT.

Scarif campaign box with Blue Squadron X-wing pilots (and X-wing title), elite Y-wing pilots and some cards for the U-wing (K-2SO pilot and crew). For the Empire, TIE Fighter, TIE Striker and TIE Bomber pilots. Modification for TIE Striker that gives it bombs, bomber title for TIE Bomber. 5 repainted minis would be actually optional. (if included, the box would need range rulers, tokens and dice, making if effectively a starter box)

Alternative: Partisans vs. Inferno Squad.

the1hodgy, Giledhil and weisguy119 like this

5 hours ago, Arkanta974 said:

X-Wing Miniatures Starter Pack

Following on from all these; Faction specific starter (100pts) packs would be a good idea, rather than the 2players ones

Arkanta974 and GILLIES291 like this

3 minutes ago, Hobojebus said:

No new core sets until 2.0!!!

Am not on board with this 2.0 business; I would prefer 1.0 to grow and FAQ and Errata and if needs be release a new rule book but keep everything inc components same . 

I still have bad taste from what happened with Game of Thrones, a game I loved but I didn't buy into v2

I'm leaning towards a full reboot. A starter with new dice types, pilot cards and higher point games for granularity.

Another starter set would be kind of overkill - the current damage deck is appropriate and fair to most lists, and all the templates and such don't need changing. Introducing new ships is all well and good, but ace packs do that at a cheaper price and come with fixes to boot.

But if I had to pick something, my vote would be on a Heir to the Empire trilogy starter pack, and as a close follow up a Rebels starter pack. Either could contain a TIE Defender prototype and 2 X-wings. I'd include an XJ X-wing title for the X-wing with a seriously strong fix on it, and a title for the Defender changing the pilot skill of the pilot to 8 and allowing the use of another title. Hopefully this would bring both the game's namesake and the Empire's most infamous ship (sorry Gunboat) back to the fore.

RufusDaMan likes this

I'd rather play STAW.

sry just trolling
I'd like it as a test bed but I won't invest in it more then a hundred bucks and only if it brings significant inprovements it has to be X-Wing 2.0 not clone wars reskin. I would not buy more when one and a half squads of ships and they would need to pe visually appealing to me (which is quite limiting in the CW setting).

Aside from that I would keep playing X-Wing 1 until a proper X-Wing 2 comes around

Honestly the only way I can see a new core set is X-wing 2.0. I don't even think they will change the classic core set to have the new damage deck.

For 2.0 I would like to see Core sets moved to more of a faction build up instead of the demo kit we have now.

• Rebels will have an X-wing and 2 Y-wings
  • Imperials will have a TIE Advanced and 2 TIE Fighters
  • Scum will have a Kihrax and 2 M3-As.

2.0 would have to be a completely different marketing mindset to work.

You'd either have to include all the 1.0 cards changed for 2.0 in the core box, or do away with the card system entirely. 2.0 would be way too heavy of a change to just errata everything.

For that alone i highly, highly doubt xwing 2.0 would ever happen.
On the same token though i DO expect clone wars stuff to pop up. New faction or not is another question entirely.

6 hours ago, the1hodgy said:

Am not on board with this 2.0 business; I would prefer 1.0 to grow and FAQ and Errata and if needs be release a new rule book but keep everything inc components same . 

So, ya know how none of the first waves work well with most of the later waves?  Yeah, that is XWM 1.0 not meshing with XWM 2.0.

What we actually need is XWM 3.0 to finally unify the current 13+ waves.

12 hours ago, Arkanta974 said:

X-Wing Miniatures Game Essentials Pack :

X-Wing Miniatures Game Essentials Pack contains action tokens and damage cards, attack and defense dice (3 each), a range ruler, and maneuver templates. Rulesbooks include.

Tokens : 10 focus / 5 evades / 10 shield / 3 target locks / 6 asteroids / 3 ions

X-Wing Miniatures Starter Pack :

X-Wing Miniatures Starter Pack contains fives miniatures, maneuver dials pilots and upgrades

Ships : X-Wing / TIE Fighter (x2) / Y-Wing / Tie Advanced

Upgrades cards : 6 generics / 2 uniques

Maneuver dials

News Pilots

Why two box ? Well let's me tell you why :

One last reason is that you could actually build closer to a 100 point list with what you have above.  The starter pack could actually let you play a "more real" game right out of the box.

And if 2 friends bought one each and traded ships, they could play 100/6 right from the beginning.

Edited by Darth Meanie

2.0 would be fine given a few glaring gameplay issues

Otherwise, you'd be better off with another OT core that actually packages Xwings with Integrateds and whatever fix they're brewing up 

Tie (heh) it into the official battlefront 2 cannon 

Edited by ficklegreendice

Battle of Yavin starter set:

One X-Wing, one Y-Wing, one YT-1300 (updated with mobile firing arc), four TIEs, one Advanced with x1 title and ATC.

2 hours ago, Marinealver said:

Honestly the only way I can see a new core set is X-wing 2.0. I don't even think they will change the classic core set to have the new damage deck.

For 2.0 I would like to see Core sets moved to more of a faction build up instead of the demo kit we have now.

• Rebels will have an X-wing and 2 Y-wings Z-95-s
  • Imperials will have a TIE Advanced and 2 TIE Fighters
  • Scum will have a Kihrax and 2 M3-As.

There, I fixed it for you.

The Z-95 is more in line with both the costs and capabilities of the other two craft, so everybody can field all three ships for similar points.

But Scum wins this box set with customization options anyway.

Darth Meanie and Marinealver like this

4 minutes ago, RufusDaMan said:

There, I fixed it for you.

The Z-95 is more in line with both the costs and capabilities of the other two craft, so everybody can field all three ships for similar points.

But Scum wins this box set with customization options anyway.

I was thinking about Z-95s but again I'm thinking it is better for it to be ships reconcilable from the first movie.

1 minute ago, Marinealver said:

I was thinking about Z-95s but again I'm thinking it is better for it to be ships reconcilable from the first movie.

Then have 1 X-wing and 1 Y-wing, but with more cards. Slap a TLT in the box for value.

Edited by RufusDaMan
as if this will ever happen, we need to keep the value of the imaginary boxes matching!

Just now, RufusDaMan said:

Then have 1 X-wing and 1 Y-wing, but with more cards. Slap a TLT in the box for value.

2nd edition will not have a TLT. It will have something for removing countering token tanks and point fortresses but it won't be a TLT.

9 hours ago, Odanan said:

Scarif campaign box with Blue Squadron X-wing pilots (and X-wing title), elite Y-wing pilots and some cards for the U-wing (K-2SO pilot and crew). For the Empire, TIE Fighter, TIE Striker and TIE Bomber pilots. Modification for TIE Striker that gives it bombs, bomber title for TIE Bomber. 5 repainted minis would be actually optional. (if included, the box would need range rulers, tokens and dice, making if effectively a starter box)

Alternative: Partisans vs. Inferno Squad.

I would most definitely buy either of those.

Odanan likes this

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

So, ya know how none of the first waves work well with most of the later waves?  Yeah, that is XWM 1.0 not meshing with XWM 2.0.

What we actually need is XWM 3.0 to finally unify the current 13+ waves.

I 100% agree, am on board with this.