Sign in to follow this  
period3

how to buy/use expansions

I'm a bit confused about how this LCG works with respect to expansions.  I get that a campaign is made up of a deluxe expansion plus several card packs.  Is the idea that you buy the deluxe expansion and the several card packs before starting the campaign, so that you can use all those cards in deck building?  Or is the idea that you buy just the deluxe expansion, play through its scenarios, and then buy a card pack and play through that scenario, etc.?   I don't really get how the second way would work though: none of those cards would be available during the initial deckbuilding, and so you have to buy them with XP.   It seems like you'd only get try a very small number of them that way.  

I've played only a single game of the core set, so I'm pretty novice at this.

You can do it either way.

I can't wait to try the new scenarios, so I buy each pack as it comes out and play through the scenario with the deck that I built when I only had the deluxe.  This does mean that if I want to use any of the new level 0 cards, I have to spend XP to do so.  So you're right, this means I usually don't end up using the new level 0 cards in that pack.

There are several ways around that, though.  As you say, you could just wait until the whole cycle is released, and get it all and build decks using all the cards.  There are certainly people that do this.  

I also tend to have multiple campaigns going at once, so the ones that I start later on will allow me to use all of the new cards as well.

And I know some people just really don't like this, but want to play the scenarios right away, and have implemented some house rules allowing them to make changes to their deck, adding new cards without requiring XP.

I think the basic idea is to get each pack as it comes out and immediately play through the scenario, but you're right, there are some issues with that.  So ultimately it's up to personal preference.  I can't wait, and I know I'll be playing more scenarios later with all the cards, so it doesn't bother me too much.

for those characters who can take it, the Rogue card Adaptable (Miscatonic Museum) also lets you swap out some level 0 cards between scenarios, if you wish to do it totally legit while still not spending XP for every single level 0 card you want to try.   And even then it doesnt solve the issue completely, it only helps take the edge off.  

House rules for level 0 deckbuilding changes are pretty benign I think.   I typically go the multiple campaigns route myself, but I have the luxury of being able to play the game quite a lot if I want to,  and this isn't as practical if you can only meet with your group  every couple of weeks.

I haven't been playing lots of games, but I play consistently with one of my friends. I got the core set when it came out so I've been buying the expansions/packs and playing them as they come out. Yes, it means you start with less options and you won't see as many of the cards in play, but you can always replay the campaign with new investigators and access to all the cards while you're waiting for the new campaign to come out. That's what we did with Dunwich while waiting for Carcosa to release. To me, experiencing the story is far more important than having access to all the cards from the start and there are plenty of cards at this point to build good decks with.

I can't wait, so I usually play with whatever I have available - buy the deluxe box, build my deck, play through the scenarios, then buy each mythos pack as the come out, upgrade my deck with whatever XP I have and whatever cards I have, and continue playing.  It makes playing the whole campaign really replayable though because I could just choose to play again with my exact same investigator, but my originally deck might be completely different because of all the new level 0 cards available to me now!

On 20-11-2017 at 6:10 AM, jaqenZann said:

And I know some people just really don't like this, but want to play the scenarios right away, and have implemented some house rules allowing them to make changes to their deck, adding new cards without requiring XP.

I would call this cheating for some reason.

19 hours ago, cheapmate said:

I would call this cheating for some reason.

To some extent. If they swap in and out cards having the same experience point cost (so, you swap 0-xp with 0-xp and so on), it's more like adapting your deck to an expanded pool without having to restart the whole campaign again. Considering that a campaign becomes available to players over the course of 7 months (or more if a month's skipped by whatever reason), I can understand someone not wanting to start again every time a new card becomes available; and I totally endorse people wanting to play this as packs are released and not having the new, cool stuff sitting on a shelf for half a year, waiting for that last pack to be out (the notorious last pack which mysteriously disappears on preorder, so, you risk waiting an extra 6 months just to get the last adventure)

Ah, yeah, to make what I was trying to say clearer:

I've known people to allow swapping out 1 or 2 level 0 cards with level 0 cards from the new pack only.  This is only for level 0 cards, and only to allow cards from the newest pack to be added.  I don't do this, but I have absolutely no problem with this, if someone in my group wanted to do this, I'd allow it.

16 minutes ago, saint1012 said:

Who are they cheating? The game? Themselves? Other players of Arkham Horror?

I would feel like I was cheating myself. I know it might sound weird to some people, but I wouldn’t feel as pleased with myself at the conclusion of the campaign when I bent one or more of the rules to get there, even though it’s no harm to anyone.

I’m very much of the opinion that once you buy a game you can play however you please (as long as any other players agree), even though I wouldn’t myself.

I didn’t mean to judge (or offend), just stated my own feeling on the issue.