hulldown

High-Res English Profundity and Chimaera Previews

55 minutes ago, Darth Veggie said:

I competelly agree. The wording should not be that it is for large ships, but that it is for fleets with 4 or less activations. But if you word it like this, it becomes an auto include in such fleets - where we arriva at the point that we can acknowledge that introducing a pass rule would be a much more elegant solution to the problem...

I really think they gave the most elegant solution possible: ffg called them ...

tenor.gif

... flotillas.

16 hours ago, hulldown said:

- Chimaera: title allowing to use Fleet Commands
Sounds plausible.  Nice alternative for when a Cymoon doesn't really fit the fleet.

Or put Chimaera title on a Cymoon for 2 Fleet Commands. Use Tarkin and/or a token generating officer and/or comms net to keep both active.

On 11/23/2017 at 6:59 AM, Ritalbringer said:

Intensifies forward fire: change the face of a die to a hit.

I know you are forwarding admittedly unreliable information, but this would be stupidly powerful for swarm fleets. Like, potentially broken powerful. 

Example:

1)Trigger IFF

2)TRC Arquitens fires and rolls three dice. As long as all three aren’t blanks and accuracies, the arquitens corrects one to a double with TRCs and one to a double with IFF. Guaranteed 4,consistent 5, reasonable 6 damage every shot from a 63 point ship. If you confire and don’t roll garbage, 6-7 reliable damage every shot

I know you need an ISD for about 130 points in commitments, but - let me be clear -playing an ISD isn’t a liability, it is a feature. 

Edited by Church14

22 minutes ago, Church14 said:

I know you are forwarding admittedly unreliable information, but this would be stupidly powerful for swarm fleets. Like, potentially broken powerful. 

Example:

1)Trigger IFF

2)TRC Arquitens fires and rolls three dice. As long as all three aren’t blanks and accuracies, the arquitens corrects one to a double with TRCs and one to a double with IFF. Guaranteed 4,consistent 5, reasonable 6 damage every shot from a 63 point ship. If you confire and don’t roll garbage, 6-7 reliable damage every shot

I know you need an ISD for about 130 points in commitments, but - let me be clear -playing an ISD isn’t a liability, it is a feature. 

If that's true and you make it a Screed fleet then you're looking at guaranteed 5 damage with a crit at long range if you add one die from con fire. That's kinda scary.

Edited by Megatronrex

24 minutes ago, Church14 said:

2)TRC Arquitens fires and rolls three dice. As long as all three aren’t blanks and accuracies, the arquitens corrects one to a double with TRCs and one to a double with IFF. Guaranteed 4,consistent 5, reasonable 6 damage every shot from a 63 point ship. If you confire and don’t roll garbage, 6-7 reliable damage every shot. 

6-7 reliable damage?

2+2+0.75(+0.75)=5.5 average damage WITH con fire.  I agree it would be powerful but what I am missing? 

4 minutes ago, ovinomanc3r said:

6-7 reliable damage?

2+2+0.75(+0.75)=5.5 average damage WITH con fire.  I agree it would be powerful but what I am missing? 

"don't roll garbage"

You're missing that.

a 0.75 assumption is garbage for a red die.

Because its a garbage die.

garbage average for a garbage die.

Edited by Drasnighta

14 minutes ago, Megatronrex said:

If that's true and you make it a Screed fleet then you're looking at guaranteed 5 damage with a crit at long range if you add one die from con fire. That's kinda scary.

Why Screed? You need CF dial to get 5 guaranteed. Why not Tarkin? He is giving your needed CF token but he gives it to the arquitens too. So you get an extra reroll. Of course with 2 coms net or 1+yularen you get the same + screed but that would be just to 1 arquitens. 

Tarkin!Tarkin!Tarkin!

1 minute ago, Drasnighta said:

"don't roll garbage"

You're missing that.

a 0.75 assumption is garbage for a red die.

Because its a garbage die.

garbage average for a garbage die.

That's why I don't see the reliable 6-7 damage on 4 red dice.

1 minute ago, ovinomanc3r said:

Why Screed? You need CF dial to get 5 guaranteed. Why not Tarkin? He is giving your needed CF token but he gives it to the arquitens too. So you get an extra reroll. Of course with 2 coms net or 1+yularen you get the same + screed but that would be just to 1 arquitens. 

Tarkin!Tarkin!Tarkin!

Because red dice hate me. A con fire token would only allow me to reroll a blank red into another blank red. I've done that enough times to know it's not an effective tactic for me.

7 minutes ago, ovinomanc3r said:

That's why I don't see the reliable 6-7 damage on 4 red dice.

If You have 4 Red dice.  If only one of those comes up a double in your initial roll (which is, what, 4 x 1/8 possibility, so, 50%)...  That's 6 damage minimum given the above potential scenario.

50% can be considered "reliable" by some.

The odds are further in favour if you attempt to make the assumption that 2 of your 4 dice show at least a Hit or a Crit.  That's still 6 immediate damage at that junction - which again, is "reliable" by most assumptions of the word.

Remember, the aimed goal (for 6 damage) is to get a minimum of 2 damage on 4 dice with inituial roll.

That's "reliable".

Edited by Drasnighta

13 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

If You have 4 Red dice.  If only one of those comes up a double in your initial roll (which is, what, 4 x 1/8 possibility, so, 50%)...  That's 6 damage minimum given the above potential scenario.

50% can be considered "reliable" by some.

I would say the chances of rolling the double would be  45.6% (I could miss myself somewhere calculating) what is not bad at all.

At the end is what I said. 5.5 average damage so 6 are "reliable" from that point of view. 7 is a bit beyond that requiring 3 damage distributed on 2 red dice... yeah sure! XD 

But I agree 6 would be fairly possible with too many given starting positions as you don't need a double, just two hits in the initial roll (after CF)

average roll of 3 red dice is (.75)x4=3. This is either 3 single hits and 1 blank (or accuracy), or its 1 double hit, a single, and 2 blanks/accuracies. If 1 blank, change the blank to a double, then change a single to a double and that's 6 damage. If 2 blanks, change them both to doubles. That's 7 damage. So that's 6-7 hits on average. If you roll worse than average, 2 hits still becomes 6 hits. So you have better than average chances of doing 6 damage in this scenario (which assumes con. fire.)

30 minutes ago, Megatronrex said:

Because red dice hate me. A con fire token would only allow me to reroll a blank red into another blank red. I've done that enough times to know it's not an effective tactic for me.

Ok you go Screed then. Why Arquitens?  Glads and ERaiders with OE would be awesome!

Also Jonus + Warlord would be a 6 damage shot as minimum lol.

22 minutes ago, Thrindal said:

Sorry I didn't see this mentioned, if it was I missed it.  

How about a fleet of TRC-90s with a Phoenix Home with IFF.  You wouldn't even have to roll your 2 long range Reds if you wanted the 4 damage.

You should if you wanted your evade tokens :P

1 hour ago, Church14 said:

Example:

1)Trigger IFF

As a big fan of swarmy red dice fleets I'm biased but I don't think it'll be that bad.  Potent, and suddenly a heck of a lot more competitive, but not game breakingly so.  Long range shots will still be the easiest to mitigate with defense tokens and any fleet that really tries to leverage Intensify Firepower as much as possible is going to be vulnerable to squadron heavy fleets. 

Heck, there's a discussion going right now about how arquitens need a shot in the arm.  This would certainly do that.

16 minutes ago, Thrindal said:

Sorry I didn't see this mentioned, if it was I missed it.  

How about a fleet of TRC-90s with a Phoenix Home with IFF.  You wouldn't even have to roll your 2 long range Reds if you wanted the 4 damage.

This, I think, is where the real scary application of this card would be.  The pelta leaves much more room to spam TRC90s and its own two red dice are suddenly far more valuable now that you can rely on them to do something.  If the card does work like this I'm definitely giving this fleet a try. 

(bonus: this would make Sato so much fun.  suddenly those long range crit jank fleets are reliable.)

4 minutes ago, hulldown said:

As a big fan of swarmy red dice fleets I'm biased but I don't think it'll be that bad.  Potent, and suddenly a heck of a lot more competitive, but not game breakingly so.  Long range shots will still be the easiest to mitigate with defense tokens and any fleet that really tries to leverage Intensify Firepower as much as possible is going to be vulnerable to squadron heavy fleets. 

FFG nerfed TRC to avoid its use on both attacks. This way they would be nerfing the nerf :D

10 minutes ago, ovinomanc3r said:

FFG nerfed TRC to avoid its use on both attacks. This way they would be nerfing the nerf :D

That is an incredibly fair point. I disagree with the TRC nerf because, yknow, dice hate me but that would be a weird reversal. Maybe it’ll say something like ‘a side with exactly one hit result’.

I just hope it’s not a reroll. 

44 minutes ago, ovinomanc3r said:

Ok you go Screed then. Why Arquitens?  Glads and ERaiders with OE would be awesome!

Also Jonus + Warlord would be a 6 damage shot as minimum lol.

Cause I want to know what it's like to kill ships from long range. Other people seem to enjoy it so much when they do it to mine.;)

Just now, hulldown said:

That is an incredibly fair point. I disagree with the TRC nerf because, yknow, dice hate me but that would be a weird reversal. Maybe it’ll say something like ‘a side with exactly one hit result’.

That seems like it would be a logical limitation.

18 minutes ago, hulldown said:

Maybe it’ll say something like ‘a side with exactly one hit result’.

I'm confident that play testing would find this to be the correct way to implement it without making it too powerful. Might need to specify "and no other results" to limit black dice abuse, as technically hit/crit IS only one hit result

Edited by MandalorianMoose