Jump to content
hulldown

High-Res English Profundity and Chimaera Previews

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Ritalbringer said:

:ph34r:

A friend sent me an article from a French Miniatures magazine about the wave 7... with confusing information

All these informations are super interesting! Is there a possibility that you could share the article?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ritalbringer said:

- MC75 Armored 104 pts, Artillery 100 pts. Hull 9, balance firepower from all arcs, faster and more agile than MC80

Wow! That's same Command, Speed, and Engineering, better Squadron Value, better Hull, more Shields, more Attack Dice than the MC80 Battle Cruiser and only 1 point more cost! Okay, Defense Tokens aren't too good. I'm very excited what Upgrade Slots it will get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ritalbringer said:

:ph34r:

A friend sent me an article from a French Miniatures magazine about the wave 7... with confusing information:

(...)

I second that request for a picture of the article if possible! 

- Grand Amiral Thrawn (32pts): will increase command values of enemy ships 
Maybe this could be the second commander that keeps showing up in the previews?  An alternative, non-JJ, Thrawn?

- Chimaera: title allowing to use Fleet Commands
Sounds plausible.  Nice alternative for when a Cymoon doesn't really fit the fleet.

- Intensifies forward fire: change the face of a die to a hit.
TRCs for all? I really hope this is the case as it could do wonders for making arquitens more viable outside of Vader.

- Strategical advisor: exhaust to pass your turn
Not sure on this one.  A big theme of these two pack seems to be making low activation fleets more viable but this feels like a bad precedent to set.

- Caitken/Shollan: reroll all or part of your die (of one color)
I feel like this has a lot of use but hard to say where without a price.  Maybe on MC30c Scouts?  Re-roll the reds at distance, switch to ordnance experts up close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ritalbringer said:

 

- Strategical advisor: exhaust to pass your turn

 

Even if this is for large ships only and unique, this would be fantastic. 

If this info is correct, I am very excited for the coming changes. 

Do you happen to know the name of this magazine? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Tearscream said:

Even if this is for large ships only and unique, this would be fantastic. 

If this info is correct, I am very excited for the coming changes. 

Do you happen to know the name of this magazine? 

Id be disappointed if it was unique. Also, if its too expensive, Ill just go for another transport. On the other hand, its too good to be cheap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Coldhands said:

Id be disappointed if it was unique. Also, if its too expensive, Ill just go for another transport. On the other hand, its too good to be cheap. 

That's the thing. If you want an extra activation you add a flotilla. Otherwise you are not fixing anything. Even with size limitation. If big ships struggle against 7 activation msu where is the point of allowing them to get 7 activation without the drawback of being small ships you would get the best of both worlds. Even limited to once per game activation advantage usually matters once.

I don't like it.

Upgrade that forces being first or last seems more interesting cause they will work with an specific ship (which brings the upgrade) and add other uses not just activation padding. A second fleet with or without activation advantage could want activate first. Activating last would be more similar to the pass-turn mechanic and I am trying to figure out a fleet with activation advantage also wanting an upgrade that would force one of its ships being last. 

Edited by ovinomanc3r

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

@hulldown that moncal officer pair in salvation. 

Would be so good on there.  But that's the tricky part, the Nebulon can't have Weapons Teams.

Our options are...

Hammerhead Torpedo Corvette
Hammerhead Scout Corvette
MC30c Scout Frigate
MC30c Torpedo Frigate
Assault Frigate Mark II A
Assault Frigate Mark II B
MC80i Battle Cruiser
MC80 Star Cruiser
MC75 (presumably?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hulldown said:

Would be so good on there.  But that's the tricky part, the Nebulon can't have Weapons Teams.

Our options are...

Hammerhead Torpedo Corvette
Hammerhead Scout Corvette
MC30c Scout Frigate
MC30c Torpedo Frigate
Assault Frigate Mark II A
Assault Frigate Mark II B
MC80i Battle Cruiser
MC80 Star Cruiser
MC75 (presumably?)

Oh I thought they were a regular officer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ovinomanc3r said:

That's the thing. If you want an extra activation you add a flotilla. Otherwise you are not fixing anything. Even with size limitation. If big ships struggle against 7 activation msu where is the point of allowing them to get 7 activation without the drawback of being small ships you would get the best of both worlds. Even limited to once per game activation advantage usually matters once.

I don't like it.

Upgrade that forces being first or last seems more interesting cause they will work with an specific ship (which brings the upgrade) and add other uses not just activation padding. A second fleet with or without activation advantage could want activate first. Activating last would be more similar to the pass-turn mechanic and I am trying to figure out a fleet with activation advantage also wanting an upgrade that would force one of its ships being last. 

It's not the difference between 3 and 7 activations; it's the difference between 3 and 4, maybe 5 if you don't care about important officers like Tua.  I'd like it to be pricy enough to not replace naked flots, though. 10ish points sounds reasonable.

Edited by The Jabbawookie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

It's not the difference between 3 and 7 activations; it's the difference between 3 and 4, maybe 5 if you don't care about important officers like Tua.  I'd like it to be pricy enough to not replace naked flots, though. 10ish points sounds reasonable.

For anything less than the faction flotilla cost it will replace it... ALWAYS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ovinomanc3r said:

For anything less than the faction flotilla cost it will replace it... ALWAYS

Okay, let me rephrase this: if its 10 points, you get squadron 2 and a support slot for 8/13 points. In my opinion, its gonna fill a nieche spot, where fielding 2 of this vs actual ship will be a real question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I typed this great argument about why flotillas will still be relevant and then deleted it.  I'll leave it to your imagination. :P  The SA text says "pass your turn."  On second glace, I'm not too sure that means an extra activation anyway.  It might simply mean "do nothing with this activation."  Still useful when BTAvenger or Yavaris thinks it's gonna have you in desired range after you move...

Edited by The Jabbawookie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Well, I typed this great argument about why flotillas will still be relevant and then deleted it.  I'll leave it to your imagination. :P  The SA text says "pass your turn."  On second glace, I'm not too sure that means an extra activation anyway.  It might simply mean "do nothing with this activation."  Still useful when BTAvenger or  Yavaris thinks it's gonna have you in desired range after you move...

I was thinking the opposite, making the OTHER guy think he was going to be out of range of my Avenger. I like Skilled First Officer on Avenger but this will probably be better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind Avenger is a front arc ship and a competent opponent will usually have a pretty good idea of range.  If they're moving towards you, it's probably in your best interest to move towards them too.  If they aren't moving towards you, you should still be moving towards them whenever you can.  Passing with Avenger only helps by avoiding attacks that outrange your main battery, then letting them move into range, so as far as I can see...  so I'd say SFO or Tua is still better unless you really need more activations.

Edited by The Jabbawookie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Well, I typed this great argument about why flotillas will still be relevant and then deleted it.  I'll leave it to your imagination. :P  The SA text says "pass your turn."  On second glace, I'm not too sure that means an extra activation anyway.  It might simply mean "do nothing with this activation."  Still useful when BTAvenger or  Yavaris thinks it's gonna have you in desired range after you move...

So you are suggesting a speed 0 maneuver at the cost of not shooting nor commanding squads that round? That sounds more interesting and can live with flotillas cause the effect would be different. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coldhands said:

Okay, let me rephrase this: if its 10 points, you get squadron 2 and a support slot for 8/13 points. In my opinion, its gonna fill a nieche spot, where fielding 2 of this vs actual ship will be a real question.

Again you are giving an extra activation to medium and big ships when to get that activation small ships needs to be small ships. 

It could sound cool for double ISDs or double pickles but it will end making 1 ISD/MC80 and 4-5 small ships more the real winner as long as they will get the same activations than a msu with a monster. And those fleets are already good. I have a 5 activation Demo+BTAvenger with squadron coverage and big bid. Without giving up my squadron coverage I could make that fleet 7 activation easily this way AND I still have BTAvenger!! What a msu fleet cannot!

Don't get me wrong. I think giving weapons to big ships to fight activation madness is good. GT is one and DC. I already said somewhere that Phylon working after moving would be awesome too. But giving them an extra activation even cheaper at the cost of 2 squadron value (what big ships have no problem with) is a way to ignore the "issue" and just move the pressure from MSUs to BIG+mSU setups. The Double big will remain the same as a disadvantage of 1 is not different from a disadvantage of 2 in most cases. IMHO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Ritalbringer said:

- Intensifies forward fire: change the face of a die to a hit.

Depending on the accuracy and specific wording on this, this right here might put an IFF Pelta in my Mothma MC30s fleet...

Releasing MC30s from the OE auto-include would open them up as a Fire Control Team platform.

Edited by Ardaedhel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ovinomanc3r said:

Again you are giving an extra activation to medium and big ships when to get that activation small ships needs to be small ships. 

It could sound cool for double ISDs or double pickles but it will end making 1 ISD/MC80 and 4-5 small ships more the real winner as long as they will get the same activations than a msu with a monster. And those fleets are already good. I have a 5 activation Demo+BTAvenger with squadron coverage and big bid. Without giving up my squadron coverage I could make that fleet 7 activation easily this way AND I still have BTAvenger!! What a msu fleet cannot!

Don't get me wrong. I think giving weapons to big ships to fight activation madness is good. GT is one and DC. I already said somewhere that Phylon working after moving would be awesome too. But giving them an extra activation even cheaper at the cost of 2 squadron value (what big ships have no problem with) is a way to ignore the "issue" and just move the pressure from MSUs to BIG+mSU setups. The Double big will remain the same as a disadvantage of 1 is not different from a disadvantage of 2 in most cases. IMHO. 

I competelly agree. The wording should not be that it is for large ships, but that it is for fleets with 4 or less activations. But if you word it like this, it becomes an auto include in such fleets - where we arriva at the point that we can acknowledge that introducing a pass rule would be a much more elegant solution to the problem...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Darth Veggie said:

I competelly agree. The wording should not be that it is for large ships, but that it is for fleets with 4 or less activations. But if you word it like this, it becomes an auto include in such fleets - where we arriva at the point that we can acknowledge that introducing a pass rule would be a much more elegant solution to the problem...

I don’t think anyone has actually come up with an un-abusable pass rule in discussions thus far though... which is part of the issue as well.

 

I for one though, am always reluctant to judge efficacy of an upgrade before we even have actual wording...

Thats just good business ?

Edited by Drasnighta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...