Sign in to follow this  
Darth Meanie

TIE Vanguard

A very simple ship meant as fleet support.  Maybe it could even bring back the idea of swarms.  The Fire Control title is inspired by the lore in the Star Wars Adventure Journal, and the deployment shenanigans by the Decipher CCG lore.

865aCXa.jpg

k4Plwkn.jpg

79sIubQ.png

y2XG88C.png

9zCPGBl.jpg

cVwiLZg.jpg

Edited by Darth Meanie

8 minutes ago, Arkanta974 said:

May be a coordination action ? Increase primary weapon by 1

Been there, done that.  It would not add anything new and interesting to the game.

The lore states that these ships were used to (1) discover enemy activity in-system before forces arrived, allowing for improved engagement strategy and (2) to aid in fire coordination allowing TIE fighters to attack effectively at long range.

I made the ideas into Titles so that a player must decide in advance how they are using these ships: as scouts, or as fire-control.

Someone did make the TIE/rc title to staple to a TIE/ln that simply added the coordinate action, however.

Edited by Darth Meanie

8 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Been there, done that.  It would not add anything new and interesting to the game.

A small cheap imperial ship with coordination will be more useful than we have with the Upsilon or add system to be more with the lore. ;)

Increase PS for "Prowler" (6? / 7?), for the same cost/role Rebel have Fenn Rau PS9 for 20 pts

8 minutes ago, Arkanta974 said:

A small cheap imperial ship with coordination will be more useful than we have with the Upsilon or add system to be more with the lore. ;)

Increase PS for "Prowler" (6? / 7?), for the same cost/role Rebel have Fenn Rau PS9 for 20 pts

Hmm.

I kept him low PS so that Fleet Scout would work better.

I was going to have him be 16 points, but then it seemed odd the lower PS "Snitch" would cost more (cuz he has a more powerful ability).

In my TIE prototype facility Epic scenario, I’m going to use my Vanguard and TIE Scout to dole out target locks to all friendly ships that don’t have one each round.  It’s extremely OP but it fits canon and will be mission specific to this scenario.  They’ll be Thrawn’s ace in the hole, so to speak.

At the start of the mission, the Vanguard will start outside the asteroid base but the Scout will be in the hangar.  When the Vanguard is destroyed, the Scout will be deployed and take over the Vanguard’s role.  The Rebels will have to concentrate on the two scout ships to end the flood of target locks.

General Dodonna will have a trick up his sleeve, too.  He’ll deploy two GR-75 fire ships that will explode upon impact with the asteroid base doing 10 HP of damage each.  I’m still working out the numbers, though, but that’s the general idea.

It's tempting to fly a swarm of 10. :P

Personally, I wouldn't have two different generics.  I can kinda see one generic, but maybe go like the ARC, Attack Shuttle, and Sheathipede and have no generics.  I think the flavor of these is served well without coordinate.  However, the only way they can impact a table is through their titles and pilot abilities.  Perhaps also mod slots, but none presented here.  Anyhow, making the PS 3 unto a unique with some sort of ability would be nice.

Timing window on Prowler is a little unclear, too.  I presume it's "execute a maneuver" but that's not fully specified.

Ah, all the Decipher Imperial Starfighter cards that still have not made it into X-wing.

• TIE Scout
  • TIE Vanguard
  • TIE Avenger

One Day,

But first and foremost I want the other two factions to have their Space Helecopters (I Mean Why does Scum get all the cool stuff FFG:().

This for Imperials

Police-Gunship_83e30bfc.jpeg

I mean it is perfect as a 3 Firepower ship with some good missiles and offensive capabilities (add a system slot) and you got an attack helecopter. It just makes sense that only the Imperials have a firepower 3 ship that has the reverse maneuver.

As for the rebels I guess this is the best I can come up with and yes I am using a decipher card.

72992-NNO34Fr.jpg

Firepower 1 Yes I know that is pretty much useless but you could give it a cannon slot. After all it really was only used for bullseying womp rats.

1 hour ago, flyboymb said:

If you could give it a Tech instead of a Systems slot, Hyperwave Comm Scanner would be a match made in heaven for any of them.

Well, I can give it any dang thing I want, since it's homebrew. ;)

And HComScan would make a ton of thematic sense.

58 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

It's tempting to fly a swarm of 10. :P

Personally, I wouldn't have two different generics.  I can kinda see one generic, but maybe go like the ARC, Attack Shuttle, and Sheathipede and have no generics.  I think the flavor of these is served well without coordinate.  However, the only way they can impact a table is through their titles and pilot abilities.  Perhaps also mod slots, but none presented here.  Anyhow, making the PS 3 unto a unique with some sort of ability would be nice.

Timing window on Prowler is a little unclear, too.  I presume it's "execute a maneuver" but that's not fully specified.

Good luck with 10 pea shooters! :huh:

I was mostly doing the generics "cuz I had to."  Maybe I'll make Ebon Squadron the PS 1, and think of something for another pocket ace.  One thing I was really trying to do here is actually encourage low PS as powerful.  You want to activate first, so you can send the information up to command.

The timing for Prowler should basically be like Lone Wolf.  When he's alone, he's happy.

56 minutes ago, Lobokai said:

Minor quibble: you’re using the old card layout... the new one has more room, which would benefit your cards. 

I used 2 different programs. . .it there an option for Strange Eons I'm missing?

And as long as I'm on the topic of Eons, does it have a template for condition cards?  I can't seem to find it.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Hey, seems really cool! I was going to say it seems way overcosted, but I see you already fixed that. 

Reading the lore, what if you gave them the Jam action? Other than Recover, that’s the only huge ship action that hasn’t been added to 100/6 yet. Of course you might have to increase the costs by a couple points then. Or have it be a title. Just a thought. 

Keep up the good work! Cheers!

Creative ideas. How about a boxed set called "Portents of War" that includes the T.I.E. Vanguard and the T-65BR X-wing with something like 'fleet scout' for the BR. Maybe even include a Gozanti title that allows it to reposition Vanguards or something similar.

39 minutes ago, BadMotivator said:

I don't know.

The first title is hilariously strong. 13 points to make TIEs and TIE/fos ignore range 3 penalties is very good for 13 points.

Fleet Scout is also good, but I don't know if its "13 points which contribute nothing offensively" good.

It only costs the defender 1 green die and the TIE is still firing 2. Not a huge deal except for the few cases in which special pilots can fire an extra die. Also mitigates autothrusters but it might be just the thing to make TIE swarms a thing again.

21 hours ago, Kieransi said:

Reading the lore, what if you gave them the Jam action? Other than Recover, that’s the only huge ship action that hasn’t been added to 100/6 yet.

Well, they are more scouts than ECM, plus I was trying to do something more than just staple on a pre-exisiting ability

12 hours ago, flyboymb said:

It only costs the defender 1 green die and the TIE is still firing 2. Not a huge deal except for the few cases in which special pilots can fire an extra die. Also mitigates autothrusters but it might be just the thing to make TIE swarms a thing again.

Exactly!

13 hours ago, BadMotivator said:

I don't know.

The first title is hilariously strong. 13 points to make TIEs and TIE/fos ignore range 3 penalties is very good for 13 points.

Fleet Scout is also good, but I don't know if its "13 points which contribute nothing offensively" good.

It's a powerful ability stapled to a 10 point glass pea-shooter (and it can't be stapled to anything else).  It also only affects one class of ships, which @flyboymb pointed out are not seeing much use.  Lastly, it is taking one ship of the swarm away as support for the rest of the swarm.  If it is messing with your list that bad and you can't kill it, I think your list has some flaws ;)

So, for Fleet Scout, should it be 0 points since it adds nothing, or should it force a larger deploy across the table to make it worth while?

Edited by Darth Meanie

7 hours ago, Ronu said:

We have already learned from the HWK, 1 Die primary’s are a no no. 

Yeah but the difference is: To make the HWK a Support ship you had to buy upgrades that are mostly situational. If you give the Vanguard Jamming or coordinate or a title that lets it support your other ships consistently it's not that bad.

4 hours ago, RogueLeader42 said:

Yeah but the difference is: To make the HWK a Support ship you had to buy upgrades that are mostly situational. If you give the Vanguard Jamming or coordinate or a title that lets it support your other ships consistently it's not that bad.

Other than “Snitch” the ships themselves are not much in the way of support. Additionally this allows an opponent to ignore them in lieu of other targets, and with only a single Dice. End game any ship that has an Evade ability is almost an auto win. Because unless you’re in range 1 you will do 0 Damage. The idea isn’t bad, but the pilot skills need to either be more robust, and or the points adjusted to go along side a basic TIE. So example 13 or 14 for the basic Vanguard (due to the shield), and the line looks like, 2/3/3/1. And then slight increases from there for pilot skills. The Title can be free as seen in the SF to minimize the cost. 

I would see skills doing something like this based on @Darth Meanie‘s original idea.

Ps 1 Generic

PS 2 “Lookout” After Executing a maneuver you may look at an opponents dial of a ship that is within Range 1 of Lookout. You may then Change the Manuever of one of friendly ship that has not activated this turn.

PS 3 “Spotter”  At the end of any movement where an opposing ship touches Spotter, all friendly ships within range 1-3 may acquire a Target Lock on that ship. 

PS 4 “Prowler” At the start of the combat phase if Prowler has an enemy ship in arc, and is beyond range 2, immediately make this ships attack for the round. 

PS 6 “Snitch” Once per turn: Immediately before or after executing a maneuver if ther is an enemy ship within your firing arc you may allow another friendly ship within range 1-2 to perform a free boost or barrel roll. 

Prowler and Snitch can have EPT’s. Spotter ideally would have one as well and would be a heck of a ship to make use of intimidate, or even Adaptability to go down in PS if there are other PS3’s that would move before him.

These changes do a few things. It Brings the ship in line with the other TIEs points wise. The basics have their tricks and then provide a blocker support fire type of ship. The Aces now force decisions to be made. Do you leave them for other priorities and hope their skills don’t create too much havoc before you get to them? Do you clear them out first because extra actions, bumps with locks and adjustments mid activation are just going to be a nightmar for your list.  They Synergize with each other as well. Lookout gets Spotter into position to do Spotter things. Spotter gives everyone TL. Prowler gets a range 3 shot with double mods before the Ace(s) to strip shields. Snitch makes sure someone gets into range one or away from being shot.

Edited by Ronu
More ideas

Posted (edited)

I thought I would revisit this ship for 2.0, because one of the great design perks about 2.0 is that it allows layers of flavor that were not possible before.

H3r9QSZ.jpg

Before anyone complains about "ONLY 1 ATTACK!! ARE YOU INSANE!!!" consider:

1.  If you are attacking with this ship enough to care, you are doing it wrong.

2.  It makes this design not "TIE/ln Plus."  This ship is for electronic warfare/coordination.  If you want 2 attack, use a TIE.  But if you took a Vanguard, the ship has a defined role in your list.

And if you don't want to redo the plastic:

XesOogr.jpg

Ditch the shield to stick with the lore, but basically the same ship.

Edited by Darth Meanie

3 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

I thought I would revisit this ship for 2.0, because one of the great design perks about 2.0 is that it allows layers of flavor that were not possible before.

H3r9QSZ.jpg

Before anyone complains about "ONLY 1 ATTACK!! ARE YOU INSANE!!!" consider:

1.  If you are attacking with this ship enough to care, you are doing it wrong.

2.  It makes this design not "TIE/ln Plus."  This ship is for electronic warfare/coordination.  If you want 2 attack, use a TIE.  But if you took a Vanguard, the ship has a defined role in your list.

And if you don't want to redo the plastic:

XesOogr.jpg

Ditch the shield to stick with the lore, but basically the same ship.

To reinforce the idea of not shooting with it, perhaps it should keep the 2-die gun, but have an ability that really wants to do other things, possibly involving disarm. I think the Devs said that they will never release another 1 attack ship again (HWK 1st edition being their only example). At any rate, ships that you'd think shouldn't be able to do much of anything (Tugboats, Resistance Pod, Sheathipeade, etc.) have the same firepower as TIE/in's. IIRC, even the TIE/sa didn't have native blaster cannons but relied solely on munitions.

50 minutes ago, Hoarder of Garlic Bread said:

I think the Devs said that they will never release another 1 attack ship again (HWK 1st edition being their only example). At any rate, ships that you'd think shouldn't be able to do much of anything (Tugboats, Resistance Pod, Sheathipeade, etc.) have the same firepower as TIE/in's. IIRC, even the TIE/sa didn't have native blaster cannons but relied solely on munitions.

The GR-75 had no primary weapon attack, as well.

Sadly, I feel like "2 Dice Primaries For All" was a bit of some design cowardice.  Especially with 2.0 reeling in the token stacking and reducing shields overall, 1 die attacks could actually be functional again.  Not great, just functional, but that is exactly the point.  Then, having 0 attack and 1 attack ships presents some interesting design space by forcing players to not rely a "point-and-shoot" tactics, and would allow support ships to have a cheaper price point exactly because they can't dogfight.

In 2.0 the GR-75 could still have had no primary but be allowed hardpoints to keep it more of a transport, and with it's offensive capabilities requiring more energy finesse than usual.

As for the HWK, this could have been an option:

VENxL4x.jpg

This makes this ship turret-upgrade-dependent, and allows a player who spent the points to equip one not get totally screwed by losing it.  At the very least, it makes the HWK more than just a baby YT-1300.