Sign in to follow this  
KaLeu

So we get a ...? (Spoiler Alert for Battlefront 2)

In the new Battlefront 2 (Campaign) the Imperial Raider "Corvus" is later modified by the Alliance. A new toy for Armada?

Front and back view, Hangar bay with two X-Wing.

image-2017-11-19.jpg

image-2017-11-19(1).jpg

image-2017-11-19(2).jpg

Edited by KaLeu
Spoiler "spoilered"

Needs to be Imperial IMO.  Mostly because of game balance - the Empire has a distinct shortage of small ships.  

On a side note, I'd be ok with a title here and there that allow for a single ship to swap factions.   "Corvus - This ship may be included in Rebel Lists.  It gains X and Loses X".  Same goes with a Quasar title. 

2 hours ago, Funk Fu master said:

My issue with it is "why?"

Why did the rebellion spend valuable resources on modifying a perfectly servicable ship? It wasn't badly damaged when Inferno Squad defected or anything.

And if the answer is to make it look less imperial. Thats just stupid and makes no tactical sense

i thought the same thing, why did they add more sublight engines to make it look like a CR-90 hybrid, when the big blue engines where fine, it's not like the ovehauled the Neb-B's that they stole

The answer lies in Octane.  

The rebels couldn't fill up the gas tank on the old Raider.  Raiders use 93 Octane Gas, and Darth Vader's guarding the Imperial Gas Pump, so once the tank on the Corvus ran dry, Our hero Iden Versio was gonna be runnin on fumes.  

Well, the Rebels have gas too, but it's the low 87 Octane type.  Rebels gotta take what they can get, ya dig?    So How can you power those super big raider Engines with low quality 87 Octane Space Gas?   Ya can't.  Not without some special modifications.   

So our pal Admiral Ackbar teams up with Garm Bel Iblis, (Who's been hiding off screen for years now... like seriously dude show up and re-canonize yourself already), and the are able to take some spare parts, re-engineer them for the Corvus's hull, and just when they were about done, Iden Versio said to them "Hey guys, those new systems are exposed to enemy fire, we're gonna need a new layer of armor to protect your new space-gas-homogenizer", so she got some modifications to the hull as well.  

And that my friends, is how The Raider mk2 Refit was born.  

1 hour ago, Crabbok said:

The answer lies in Octane.  

The rebels couldn't fill up the gas tank on the old Raider.  Raiders use 93 Octane Gas, and Darth Vader's guarding the Imperial Gas Pump, so once the tank on the Corvus ran dry, Our hero Iden Versio was gonna be runnin on fumes.  

Well, the Rebels have gas too, but it's the low 87 Octane type.  Rebels gotta take what they can get, ya dig?    So How can you power those super big raider Engines with low quality 87 Octane Space Gas?   Ya can't.  Not without some special modifications.   

So our pal Admiral Ackbar teams up with Garm Bel Iblis, (Who's been hiding off screen for years now... like seriously dude show up and re-canonize yourself already), and the are able to take some spare parts, re-engineer them for the Corvus's hull, and just when they were about done, Iden Versio said to them "Hey guys, those new systems are exposed to enemy fire, we're gonna need a new layer of armor to protect your new space-gas-homogenizer", so she got some modifications to the hull as well.  

And that my friends, is how The Raider mk2 Refit was born.  

I've had the same head canon. Imperials have blue engines, rebels have red, and blue flame is a "hotter" more efficient burn. Imps use more expensive, unstable mil grade high thrust fuel and rebels are stuck with cheaper civilian grade crud.

13 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Uhm. wdf. Its kind of cute. And butt butt ugly at the same time. What are these feelings. 

Its like a sea slug.  Like. very slug butt ugly. But cute. hmm. 

I've always held the definition of cute to be : Ugly, yet interesting.

You know, like puppies......or babies....

So yeah.  It's butt ugly.  And cute.  And those aren't in contradiction :) 

18 hours ago, KaLeu said:

A new toy for Armada?

Kinda.  We already have this one, at least on paper.  It's what the Raider looks like with the Expanded Hanger Bay upgrade :P 

On 11/19/2017 at 5:19 PM, Funk Fu master said:

Why did the rebellion spend valuable resources on modifying a perfectly servicable ship? It wasn't badly damaged when Inferno Squad defected or anything.

And if the answer is to make it look less imperial. Thats just stupid and makes no tactical sense

My guess is that they wanted to have it be even faster at sublight to favor their more hit and run tactics, that is the only real reason in universe I can think of. Out of universe it is just to make it look different despite us not seeing any other Raider ships, or at least I didn't see anymore. 

On 11/19/2017 at 5:19 PM, Funk Fu master said:

Yeah, I understand if they needed to work on it or maintain it the rebellion may not have had compatible parts. Refitting it with engines they could maintain would make sense. We also know rebels have a lot of experience refitting ships quickly seeing as every ship in their fleet is pretty much a refit.

The problem comes from the same place as all the other problems with this story. It is simply too short to tell the story they were trying to tell. They needed the campaign to be at least 2-3 times longer than it was to tell the whole story.