Jump to content
TylerTT

Playing with alternate miniatures.

Recommended Posts

The FFG minis are great but I’m really not into the skeleton and daemon armies thematically.

so I’m thinking about making some proxy armies.

for the demons I’m going to replace them with gator men and various swampy things. I figure reptiles can replace sacrificial blood magic with cannibalism.

The skeletons will be replaced with Rat Men. Because they are numerous and weak. instead of raising the dead they will simply rally more rats from the hordes. 

 

Also so if FFG does not announce a L5R compatable game soon I may build some of warlord’s test of honor range into an Asian army. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Fantasy miniature game without Orcs or Dwarves is like reading a book with missing chapters. Dragon Lords would be nice addition too.

I like your replacement idea’s. I will use my warhammer Dwarves and replace them with runewars Daqan army in tonight session just for fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, johnf said:

A Fantasy miniature game without Orcs or Dwarves is like reading a book with missing chapters. Dragon Lords would be nice addition too.

I like your replacement idea’s. I will use my warhammer Dwarves and replace them with runewars Daqan army in tonight session just for fun.

I suppose that's the problem with fantasy.  It is as much an established trope with deep set expectations as anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a fantasy game, we need at least the following:

  1. - Dwarves
  2. - Orcs
  3. - Anthropomorphic animal race
  4. - Evil version of non-human race
  5. - Some setting-specific race
  6. - Faction with advanced technology compared to the others (possible combined with any of the above)
Edited by Urvogel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Urvogel said:

As a fantasy game, we need at least the following:

  1. - Dwarves
  2. - Orcs
  3. - Anthropomorphic animal race
  4. - Evil version of non-human race
  5. - Some setting-specific race
  6. - Faction with advanced technology compared to the others (possible combined with any of the above)

1) dwarves are awesome, but it is nice when things aren't all he same

2) meh, uthuk are also practically analogous to most orcs already.

3) just no

4) underdark is and always will be trying too hard.  Good/evil is overdone and frankly a bit juvenile as it is, without perpetuating tropes.

5) generally admissible, but generally overly generic

6) always no.  The jarring out of place steampunk/gunpowder race is silly.

Edited by Darthain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darthain said:

1) dwarves are awesome, but it is nice when things aren't all he same

2) meh, uthuk are also practically analogous to most orcs already.

3) just no

4) underdark is and always will be trying too hard.  Good/evil is overdone and frankly a bit juvenile as it is, without perpetuating tropes.

5) generally admissible, but generally overly generic

6) always no.  The jarring out of place steampunk/gunpowder race is silly.

I've said it before and I will say it again....opinions and buttholes.....:P

Edited by OzKillswitch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've been wanting to replace the figures with LEGO minifigs.  They have all sorts of weapons available and horses for cav, so making a Daqan army would be pretty simple and it'd be pre-painted.  Runegolems would be the only thing you'd have to "make" but that shouldn't be too hard.  Sadly the cost is what's holding me back. :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...