Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
matt.sucharski

The Mandalore System Open at PAX

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, DR4CO said:

Wookiee Liberator + Expertise + Tactician + Breach Specialist [33] x3

There are variants which do away with some of the Breach Specialists to make room for Lowie.

That's the vassal version,  that is not what Chris is running. 

 

The best solution if wookies get out of hand is to make Carnor, Wes, old teroch etc work against reinforce.  Those are all super fun ships anyway 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tactician is just another one of those cards that could probably have used a "Primary Arc Only" from the beginning. (I mean, it is MORE tactful to require the Primary arc, after all).

Or cost 4+ pts for ships that can make use of it for more than the primary arc (obviously this one will never be the case). 

It is a well designed, great costed, niche use card in the primary arc, but worth way more pts once you get to use it out of multiple arcs.

I'm not calling it broke or anything, just a product of "early design meets new shinies" that couldn't really be accounted for at its creation, but continually creates weird scenarios (see the now unplayable 3 x Tactician YV-666 and TLT+Tactician).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, catachanninja said:

That's the vassal version,  that is not what Chris is running. 

 

The best solution if wookies get out of hand is to make Carnor, Wes, old teroch etc work against reinforce.  Those are all super fun ships anyway 

I agree. Wes (and other similar cards?) could be given an errata that simply allows the removal of 1 token (of any kind) from the enemy ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over on Reddit, they're saying it ended with:

1st Place

Asajj Ventress — Lancer-class Pursuit Craft 37

  • Attanni Mindlink 1
  • Latts Razzi 2
  • Ship Total: 40

Fenn Rau — Protectorate Starfighter 28

  • Attanni Mindlink 1
  • Autothrusters 2
  • Concord Dawn Protector 1
  • Ship Total: 32

Contracted Scout — JumpMaster 5000 25

  • Adaptability 0
  • Intelligence Agent 1
  • Rigged Cargo Chute 1
  • Ship Total: 27

2nd Place

Asajj Ventress — Lancer-class Pursuit Craft 37

  • Lone Wolf 2
  • Latts Razzi 2
  • Glitterstim 2
  • Glitterstim 2
  • Countermeasures 3
  • Shadow Caster 3
  • Ship Total: 51

Fenn Rau — Protectorate Starfighter 28

  • Attanni Mindlink 1
  • Autothrusters 2
  • Concord Dawn Protector 1
  • Ship Total: 32

Inaldra — M3-A Interceptor 15

  • Attanni Mindlink 1
  • "Light Scyk" Interceptor -2
  • Ship Total: 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many players were there?

 

In the wookies topic: it's not tactician their issue. They have a decent dial with a 180° arc on a 9 hp ship. And it gets to have 1 evade for each attack.

Wookies are the new 4 tlt with the added bonus of not having a donut hole and being way sturdier. Have I mentioned that with wookies commando they also get to modify their dice without needing an action?

Seriously, tactician with that arc is strong, but it's not specifically that what make the auzituck a poorly designed ship

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sunitsa said:

How many players were there?

 

In the wookies topic: it's not tactician their issue. They have a decent dial with a 180° arc on a 9 hp ship. And it gets to have 1 evade for each attack.

Wookies are the new 4 tlt with the added bonus of not having a donut hole and being way sturdier. Have I mentioned that with wookies commando they also get to modify their dice without needing an action?

Seriously, tactician with that arc is strong, but it's not specifically that what make the auzituck a poorly designed ship

138 was the final count

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so basically a post-nerf(nuke) Parattani won PAX!

Geesh, so what next? nerf Asaj? or Latts? or Fenn? ...or my personal favorite, undo the Palpatine nerf ;-D 

(Well I hope somthing else rises to the top - although I did see how booring 3 wookie ships were to play against... poor RAC Quickdraw)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, catachanninja said:

That's the vassal version,  that is not what Chris is running. 

 

The best solution if wookies get out of hand is to make Carnor, Wes, old teroch etc work against reinforce.  Those are all super fun ships anyway 

Updating older ships that are designed to mess with "green" tokens would be a great solution. I don't think Palob should work against Reinforce like others want because that would be a rules mess to deal with,  but Carnor, Wes, and Old T would be great to see on the board again to help counter the wookiees. I would potentially argue, what's stopping them from doing it now anyway? Most of those aren't seeing play anyway, it supports counter play, and all 3 of those are primary arc ships that don't carry ordinance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sciencius said:

so basically a post-nerf(nuke) Parattani won PAX!

Geesh, so what next? nerf Asaj? or Latts? or Fenn? ...or my personal favorite, undo the Palpatine nerf ;-D 

(Well I hope somthing else rises to the top - although I did see how booring 3 wookie ships were to play against... poor RAC Quickdraw)

 

s87MFNj.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sciencius said:

so basically a post-nerf(nuke) Parattani won PAX!

Geesh, so what next? nerf Asajj? or Latts? or Fenn? ...or my personal favorite, undo the Palpatine nerf ;-D 

(Well I hope somthing else rises to the top - although I did see how booring 3 wookie ships were to play against... poor RAC Quickdraw)

 

The only thing left to do is nerf Latts crew, since she is basically just a second awesome ability for Asajj, because no other ship can use it reliably. Instead of REMOVE the stress, you would TAKE the stress, in turn stressing yourself to add an evade result, and of course you cannot do this if you are already stressed. This would make Asajj actually care about getting stressed, even in a mindlink list. 

Edited by wurms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't cry nerf for something after this System Open, brand new meta building, it's gonna shake up again with Waves 12 & 13 in a month or less, and consider that the player playing the newer Parattanni has been playing it for a very long time. Andrew Bunn is probably one of if not the most experienced player with that type of list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, RStan said:

I wouldn't cry nerf for something after this System Open, brand new meta building, it's gonna shake up again with Waves 12 & 13 in a month or less, and consider that the player playing the newer Parattanni has been playing it for a very long time. Andrew Bunn is probably one of if not the most experienced player with that type of list. 

Nothing that was played this weekend is nerf worthy. Every matchup felt winnable and the meta if one could even be derived from this was incredibly wholesome overall. The only thing that feels slightly out of wack is re-enforce but we have known that for awhile now and im not really sure it will matter at all after the next waves.

The tournament felt competitively balanced to be honest. A lot of solid lists were on the tables and there was a good deal of variety across all factions.

Edited by Boom Owl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RStan said:

I wouldn't cry nerf for something after this System Open...

 

Just now, kris40k said:

Parattanni is not a boogeyman list; its just a decent, strong list. It being on top again is a good sign that things are getting back under control.You don't have to nerf everything that wins a tournament.

What would people post about, if not nerfs?

X - "Tactician wookies are bull.  180 arc and reinforce is broken."

Y - "Did you run into a bunch of that?"

X - "Just one, round 2 of stage 2.  I won, but it's still bull."

Y - "..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When things are so relatively open, you see more variety in squads. This makes it harder to predict the likely match-ups you'll see, which ought to lead to rational players leaning towards consistent take-all-comers type squads (e.g. triple wookiees, parattani-ish), right? Does that make sense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Incard said:

When things are so relatively open, you see more variety in squads. This makes it harder to predict the likely match-ups you'll see, which ought to lead to rational players leaning towards consistent take-all-comers type squads (e.g. triple wookiees, parattani-ish), right? Does that make sense?

Yea thats sorta what we saw. 

Overall my main take away from the weekend. 

The guys who made it to Top 4 probably could have been there with a wide variety of different lists, even Imperial stuff ( though itd be slightly more difficult ).

Edited by Boom Owl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, kris40k said:

Parattanni is not a boogeyman list; its just a decent, strong list. It being on top again is a good sign that things are getting back under control.

You don't have to nerf everything that wins a tournament.

My sentiments exactly. Soontir, quickdraw palpaces just won a national... things are starting to move back into place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×