Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tvayumat

Feed on Fear (Uthuk Command Article)

Recommended Posts

These are absolutely horrifying....

Admittedly, most of the main ones that look pretty mean are double-edged (suffer the morale effect to cause them to suffer it twice for instance)

Biggest one that stands out to me as insane is Bannerscamp. Dude, seriously? he completely shuts down inspiration token get via rally outside of the first turn (which Ravos already shuts that one down). ewww...

Mutilated Grotesque is also pretty mean though since its not increasing the test severity its not that bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aurelus said:

Daqan seems super boring right now...

I'm feeling a little bit of that, too. Compared to these Uthuk warriors, skeleton warriors just seem so... pedestrian.

It's probably just new shininess. I'll be back to loving Waiqar come Monday. ...Right? RIGHT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Parakitor said:

I'm feeling a little bit of that, too. Compared to these Uthuk warriors, skeleton warriors just seem so... pedestrian.

It's probably just new shininess. I'll be back to loving Waiqar come Monday. ...Right? RIGHT?

It is shininess. There aren’t any ways to increase damage output. Just a lot of status effect stuff. Daqan are looking to be better at big infantry formations doing crazy damage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone else start to feel like Uthuk might have a stupidly high learning curve compared to other factions?

 

Daqan: add armor, add damage, add inspiration

Waiqar: Add blight, keep coming back, come back even more, add some damage

Latari: use overgrow, shift a lot, tarpit a lot

Uthuk, attempt to leverage every bane and status effect in the game to make it feel like you running every blue magic card ever made. And EXPLOSIONS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rowdyoctopus said:

Uthuk are definitely shaping up to be a high skill army.

That's an interesting observation. If that's true, then playing as the Uthuk may cause some thematic dissonance for the player. Think about elves. You expect elves to use ample ranged attacks, perform hit-and-run attacks, and utilize nature (overgrowth, for example). The gameplay matches all of that.

With the Uthuk, you imagine a mindless horde of bloodthirsty half-demons falling upon their enemies and laying waste to all that stand in their way. It's looking like that may not be the experience you get with this faction. There seems to be a lot more choices to make as far as  when to use which abilities on the cards and trying to utilize the bane tokens to the best of your ability. It's much more tactical, like something you'd expect of the Daqan Lords. However, it seems the Daqan Lords are more of the "charge and smash face!" army at the moment.

Doesn't bother me, though. I enjoy a good cerebral game. Even if I can't be as mindless as the Uthuk I'm commanding, I'll still enjoy watching their self-sacrifice and blood rites play out across my table. And you can't forget their awesome demon allies, either!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rowdyoctopus said:

Uthuk are definitely shaping up to be a high skill army.

Not sure I see that at all, or any difference, they appear to be a know when to push army, just another style.

Edited by Darthain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2017 at 9:05 PM, Darthain said:

Not sure I see that at all, or any difference, they appear to be a know when to push army, just another style.

It’s more that you are leaning on the morale deck heavily. It’s a craphazard weapon in and of itself. The upgrades look to maximize that by delaying morale tests to increase severity, drawing extra cards, doubling down on effects, etc. 

 

Smash harder, take less damage, and keep getting back up are all easy concepts to play with. Even the Latari “shift 4 times in one turn” units are still easy to grasp - though hard to play against right away. 

 

Finding the right balance for milling that morale deck seems trickier than other strategies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Church14 said:

It’s more that you are leaning on the morale deck heavily. It’s a craphazard weapon in and of itself. The upgrades look to maximize that by delaying morale tests to increase severity, drawing extra cards, doubling down on effects, etc. 

 

Smash harder, take less damage, and keep getting back up are all easy concepts to play with. Even the Latari “shift 4 times in one turn” units are still easy to grasp - though hard to play against right away. 

 

Finding the right balance for milling that morale deck seems trickier than other strategies. 

All of these are actually the same thing, reading the board state and acting accordingly, the difference is the uthuk get more randomness, doesn't make it any more or less difficult.  Everything in the game this far is, imo, quite straightforward.  I mean it's a light wargame, and it's fun, so I doubt that'll change much.

Edited by Darthain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 6:08 PM, Ywingscum said:

Elves are world champs, we will cleanse Terrinoth of the Uthak 

Elves are to blame for the Uthuk in the first place. The Uthuk will conquer their masters once and for all.

Edit: for in game reference, Uthuk will decimate Elves as they have little options to get rid of the many panic tokens that would go their way.

Edited by Curlycross

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Curlycross said:

Elves are to blame for the Uthuk in the first place. The Uthuk will conquer their masters once and for all.

Edit: for in game reference, Uthuk will decimate Elves as they have little options to get rid of the many panic tokens that would go their way.

Rallying Starling and Verdant Sorceress offer reasonable coverage. It's poor Waiqar that might have more morale woes than they're accustomed to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×