Dragonshadow

Best use of narrative stuff other than success/fail

Advantage, Triumph, Threat, and Despair.  Let's hear some war stories about how they were spent OTHER than simply to hand off boost or setback dice (or to trigger a crit). I only played Edge for a short few months, and would love to tap into the community's collective experience of resolving the dice once I step into my Genesys GMing shoes.

I recently listened to the original three episode Edge run on the "One Shot" podcast GM'ed by Kat Murphy.  I loved the one-shot, and was especially interested in how far they embellished the dice results at several points.  It felt very Fate-like in its freestyle vibe of declaring twists into the scene.  I plan on digging into the "Campaign" podcast next.

Edited by Dragonshadow

I run SW now, and my favorite was a stealth check.  The players were trying to sneak across a catwalk between 2 buildings with Imperial troops search for them on the street below.  They rolled success with Despair and multiple advantage.  We narrated something like:

As you sneak across the catwalk, Player X stumbles, and as they are about to fall, Player Y saves them by grabbing their shirt, but during the slip, Player X drops whatever is in his hands (Despair - he lost a blaster rifle).  You are lucky enough that it falls in a dumpster full of trash bags quieting the fall enough that the troopers don't notice.  You finish getting across the catwalk without incident.  

They then had to decide whether to risk going after the rifle, or just fade into the distance, and replace it later.  They chose the latter.

Edited by Edgookin

Last weekend I had a player roll a Triumph and 2 Despairs.  Yes, 2 Despairs.  He slayed the last mummy with the critical hit, but the big bad - end fight - boss monster - evil necromancer - came into the fight and got a free upgrade on her check.  =)  

Edit:  I highly recommend the Dice for Brains podcast ... a most brilliant podcast and how they use their advantage/disadvantage/triumph/despair has changed my game.

Edited by Zszree
wanted to add a podcast recommendation too

Not something that ive seen happen, but thinking about this topic, it occurred to me that despairs could be used in a time traveling game to trigger the heroes causing paradoxes and alternate timelines that they then need to fix, 8n addition to whatever their original mission was. 

A common one is changing the relationship with an NPC, perhaps your valiant fighting gains the loyalty of a group of allies, so some minions now act to help you. On the flip side a neutral or opposed NPC may decide your a problem that needs dealing with, working harder to stop you and possibly becoming a recurring threat.

In one of our games the villain tried to escape, and we were in this tree-city high above the ground. One of our players, who had focused entirely on Brawn, wielded a sword bigger than me (and I am 6’5”), and had the best armor possible, charged at the guy and tackled him, rolled both a Triumph and a Despair. The result was that he got the guy, and then both of them proceeded to fly off the railing down into the forest below. The player was hurt, but since he had a freaking soak of 10 he came out of it okay. The other guy not so much.

Another time one of our players, who focused on the Move force power, tried to throw a Silhouette 2 pillar at the Inquisitor that was chasing us, only to roll a Despair and instead hit one of the other players, KOing him instantly. The Inquisitor and his forces then proceeded to take down the rest of the group and take us to a secret Inquisitor fortress-dungeon, which we barely escaped from.