Archlyte

Anything from SWG that you use in your game?

I loved that game and so there are things I like to put in my SWRPG games that are ripped off from SWG. One of these things I use is terminals. I love the idea of characters having to use terminals for information/communication/inquiries/listings and not just having a Datapad be like an iPhone. I also like the idea of resource containers. I think you can never have too many futuristic looking crates and containers laying around :)

If you played SWG or even used it's wiki, what if anything did you translate over to your TTRPG? 

Mission_Terminal.jpg

Just for grins, I'm noodling around with stats for the three Wookiee armors.

And, the player city that I lived in (and was Mayor of for quite a while) is the home base for the group I run, with my characters, my wife's, and various other citizens' as NPCs (not to mention my wife's cantina has been imported as a hot spot on the planet).

A lot of stuff from this game gets referenced in the books, really (certainly the ones I work on). My first project ever was Suns of Fortune, where you can see Binyare PIrates, the Rayless Lantern, and all sorts of Jump to lightspeed Corellia system goodness name checked. 

The rebel battle armor in Forged in Battle is straight out of the game. 

If you're a big fan of SWG, and read carefully, there's a ton of stuff to find throughout the texts.

12 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

Just for grins, I'm noodling around with stats for the three Wookiee armors.

And, the player city that I lived in (and was Mayor of for quite a while) is the home base for the group I run, with my characters, my wife's, and various other citizens' as NPCs (not to mention my wife's cantina has been imported as a hot spot on the planet).

That's so awesome, well both of these thing. Man the idea of the player city/cantina being imported over is so cool that you literally made my morning better by mentioning this :) 

4 hours ago, KRKappel said:

A lot of stuff from this game gets referenced in the books, really (certainly the ones I work on). My first project ever was Suns of Fortune, where you can see Binyare PIrates, the Rayless Lantern, and all sorts of Jump to lightspeed Corellia system goodness name checked. 

The rebel battle armor in Forged in Battle is straight out of the game. 

If you're a big fan of SWG, and read carefully, there's a ton of stuff to find throughout the texts.

Oh that's so cool!

I like the idea of the player cities being moved over as Nytwyng mentioned that he uses in his game. Some of the NPC smaller towns would translate well (Bela Vistal for example) but Coronet is a giant metropolis in the FFG material that seems to be represented a bit like a little Coruscant. I think the game Coronet was too small (that spaceport for a major city lol), but I did like some of the sights from Coronet. Also do you guys think that Corellia is represented in the FFG material to be covered in city terrain? I want to strike a good balance between city and wilderness so I can get that wild feel to the outdoor areas. Any suggestions?

The cities (both player and NPC) were small by necessity. If the worlds and cities were to scale, you’d spend an entire gaming session just going from one place to another in the same city.

In porting over my player city, it’s certaibly been scaled up to a more believable size for a small city (population in the tens of thousands, at least, as opposed to 60-ish), and drive time to/from Moenia has been scaled up from 4 minutes (real time). My guild also serves a purpose. Even in SWG, it was designed as a “business” to help others who might need a larger party but didn’t want to join a guild. That concept has been translated to the RPG as a private paramilitary organization a la Blackwater (that - just as in SWG - serves as a cover for a local Rebel cell, allowing a legitimate reason for their being so well equipped and armed).

1 minute ago, Nytwyng said:

The cities (both player and NPC) were small by necessity. If the worlds and cities were to scale, you’d spend an entire gaming session just going from one place to another in the same city.

In porting over my player city, it’s certaibly been scaled up to a more believable size for a small city (population in the tens of thousands, at least, as opposed to 60-ish), and drive time to/from Moenia has been scaled up from 4 minutes (real time). My guild also serves a purpose. Even in SWG, it was designed as a “business” to help others who might need a larger party but didn’t want to join a guild. That concept has been translated to the RPG as a private paramilitary organization a la Blackwater (that - just as in SWG - serves as a cover for a local Rebel cell, allowing a legitimate reason for their being so well equipped and armed).

Yeah that's a good point about travel times and those "cities" being too small to be represented that way in TTRPG. I should look at in terms of population, that is super helpful, thank you. That's also cool about the guild, I think that's a great idea. 

19 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

Nytwyng if you dont mind my asking, what server did you play on?  I was on Naritus.

I don't mind at all. :)

I had some characters spread across a few different servers, but my main(s) were on Sunrunner.

The city was New Haven, Naboo*, and the guild was the Galactic Troubleshooting Network.

(*A couple of years ago, I played on a pre-CU emulator, and found that New Haven's location was uninhabited. Thanks to screenshots that I still had, i was able to place a city hall in the exact same spot. However, the name "New Haven" was already taken...somewhere...I could never find it. So, I went with the name Serenity. That's the name I ported over for my RPG campaign, because it fits with its Firefly inspiration.)

Edited by Nytwyng

I miss this too. I plan on having this incorporated in to the game but maybe without the tiki torches lol. I loved the sense of the world in that game with rain falling and wildlife to encounter as well as the little things like seeing starships flit across the sky. 

screen17.jpg

I really wanted to re-create for my players the feeling and atmosphere that I got from SWG.... That's why I make my players stand in line at the space port for 30min before every session so they can get buffed just so then they can wear their armor, and THEN they get to go on adventures! :lol:

In all seriousness. I loved SWG so Hard!  But I've yet to incorporate anything really. Though I have always liked the Tusken Raider angle combined with KOTOR that actually makes Tusken Raiders semi sympathetic. No idea how I would incorporate that in a game though.

I still occasionally play SWG on a couple of the emulators out there. There's a great pre-CU emulator, but after a horrible experience with others in my recreated player city, I just haven't felt the burning desire to log into it like I used to for over a year. I've dabbled with an NGE emulator, but haven't played it much.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure why I didn't mention this earlier: my first character in the FFG system (which I still play in one of the groups I'm in) is adapted from one of my SWG alts, and the character picture is taken straight from the game.

Edited by Nytwyng

8 hours ago, ThreeAM said:

I really wanted to re-create for my players the feeling and atmosphere that I got from SWG.... That's why I make my players stand in line at the space port for 30min before every session so they can get buffed just so then they can wear their armor, and THEN they get to go on adventures! :lol:

In all seriousness. I loved SWG so Hard!  But I've yet to incorporate anything really. Though I have always liked the Tusken Raider angle combined with KOTOR that actually makes Tusken Raiders semi sympathetic. No idea how I would incorporate that in a game though.

Oh man the starport wait thing made me laugh! As well as the buffing line necessary to don your armor because of secondaries. I do like the idea of having Entertainers perform a similar function in SWRPG, with Strain being eased by performances and also characters being able to role-play the relaxing and titillating time in the cantina. 

Speaking of Tuskens, Fort Tusken seems like something that just needs to be represented in this game. Whether you used it like a crazy dungeon or had a storyline of entering the Tusken Culture and dealing with the Tusken King I think it would be a great thing to put in the game. 

3 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

I still occasionally play SWG on a couple of the emulators out there. There's a great pre-CU emulator, but after a horrible experience with others in my recreated player city, I just haven't felt the burning desire to log into it like I used to for over a year. I've dabbled with an NGE emulator, but haven't played it much.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure why I didn't mention this earlier: my first character in the FFG system (which I still play in one of the groups I'm in) is adapted from one of my SWG alts, and the character picture is taken straight from the game.

I played on one of the emulators for a while but I started to get a bit bummed out by something I had forgotten about, which was the supremacy of melee characters concerning defense. But I had a few good months re-living the glory days of SWG and visiting those places again. 

I think that is awesome that your character from SWG lived on in this game. My forum name was the name of my character on Eclipse, and I always heard Sunrunner was an awesome server. 

That brings me back.  That was one of the best games out there.  I liked how it predated a lot of the polished and formulaic MMORPGs and was very raw.  There were so many cool things to explore and loot that you didn't really know what you were going to find.  I spent a great deal of time immersed in that.  I haven't tried any of the emulators, I may just leave that in the past as the glory days.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 3:35 PM, Kzloy said:

That brings me back.  That was one of the best games out there.  I liked how it predated a lot of the polished and formulaic MMORPGs and was very raw.  There were so many cool things to explore and loot that you didn't really know what you were going to find.  I spent a great deal of time immersed in that.  I haven't tried any of the emulators, I may just leave that in the past as the glory days.

Yeah there are things about it that are still great like the open world, the random and sometimes non-utility loot, the 3d models for every object. But to me the combat feels almost comically slow at the low end, and the original character building numbers make a pure ranged character super hard to pull off. There are a few things around from Raph Koster where he talked about what the combat system was originally supposed to be and it would have been better if that would have worked, but it didn't so we got kind of lame ranged characters. Another interesting thing was the procedural world design process, and I believe it was that which killed the third axis of movement. Still they managed to have multi-person speeders and that was very nice. 

My first 5 minutes on an emulator I walked out of town in Coronet and just watched the sky animate. I was home again for a brief period of time. 

4 hours ago, Archlyte said:

Yeah there are things about it that are still great like the open world, the random and sometimes non-utility loot, the 3d models for every object. But to me the combat feels almost comically slow at the low end, and the original character building numbers make a pure ranged character super hard to pull off. There are a few things around from Raph Koster where he talked about what the combat system was originally supposed to be and it would have been better if that would have worked, but it didn't so we got kind of lame ranged characters. Another interesting thing was the procedural world design process, and I believe it was that which killed the third axis of movement. Still they managed to have multi-person speeders and that was very nice. 

My first 5 minutes on an emulator I walked out of town in Coronet and just watched the sky animate. I was home again for a brief period of time. 

Ok, now that makes me want to try an emulator. Any suggestions on where to go for one @Archlyte I guess I just have to meddle with the past. All I want is just a few more minutes, yea, just a few minutes more to finish crafting this (until I look out the window and realize the sun is coming up and I have to shower and be at work in 30 minutes) Ah to be young again. 

You're right, ranged was really hard to pull off, I remember being melee more often than not.

1 minute ago, Kzloy said:

Ok, now that makes me want to try an emulator. Any suggestions on where to go for one @Archlyte I guess I just have to meddle with the past. All I want is just a few more minutes, yea, just a few minutes more to finish crafting this (until I look out the window and realize the sun is coming up and I have to shower and be at work in 30 minutes) Ah to be young again. 

You're right, ranged was really hard to pull off, I remember being melee more often than not.

The only one I really didn't like was Bloodfin. The other ones are pretty good but check their ruleset and also try to get an idea of Pop. There are quite a few so the population is a bit fragmented I think. Also check SWGEMU to see if their final server is up. If it is I would go to that one. Good luck, and don't be too shocked by your rate of attack as a new character lol. Until you get some boxes done you are gonna be kind of pathetic. Also announce you are new to the server in world chat. Usually someone will tip you, which is helpful when you are in the re-learning curve. Clone insurance is expensive :)

It also depends on whether or not you want a pre-CU or NGE experience.

For pre-CU, I enjoyed SWGAwakening (until that previously hinted conflict with the citizens of my reborn city). As of the last time I checked, though, they didn’t have Jump to Lightspeed live.

For NGE, I’ve recently found SWG Legends. I haven’t played much, but it seems pretty stable and does have JTL.

7 hours ago, Archlyte said:

The only one I really didn't like was Bloodfin. The other ones are pretty good but check their ruleset and also try to get an idea of Pop. There are quite a few so the population is a bit fragmented I think. Also check SWGEMU to see if their final server is up. If it is I would go to that one. Good luck, and don't be too shocked by your rate of attack as a new character lol. Until you get some boxes done you are gonna be kind of pathetic. Also announce you are new to the server in world chat. Usually someone will tip you, which is helpful when you are in the re-learning curve. Clone insurance is expensive :)

Thanks! I'll check it out. 

2 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

It also depends on whether or not you want a pre-CU or NGE experience.

For pre-CU, I enjoyed SWGAwakening (until that previously hinted conflict with the citizens of my reborn city). As of the last time I checked, though, they didn’t have Jump to Lightspeed live.

For NGE, I’ve recently found SWG Legends. I haven’t played much, but it seems pretty stable and does have JTL.

Some good points, I'll have to consider. 

I often use things like stationary terminals for information.

Datapads are not anywhere near iPads of today.
They're more like CD's or DVD's, in that they'll have stored information but usually not connected up the wazoo.

Someone made the argument somewhere that the reason Star Wars is so "archaic" (for the lack of a better word) when it comes to information sharing and wireless connections is that in a world where you have droids that can perform inhuman feats of slicing, you don't want wireless connections that are just screaming to be hacked (or sliced, as it's called). The same goes for Viruses and the speed they would spread and destroy important infrastructure.

Instead, the cheap alternative is to make everything have physical connections and limit the connectivity of computers.

So, you can't really remotely slice into a spaceship, for example.
Nor can you remotely slice into most droids (the exception being droids that have a remote control station like B1 battle droids had).

This also means that if you want some information or anything like that, you'll usually have to find a terminal that either has that information stored on it or one that is physically linked to a database that does.

EDIT: As for my experience of SWG, it just consisted of a very short 2 week trial which was mostly spent playing as an entertainer in the mos eisley cantina with my friend who did the same (he had an afro, shiny chrome shorts and two shiny chrome blaster pistols. I honestly don't remember what my character looked like)

Edited by OddballE8

19 hours ago, OddballE8 said:

I often use things like stationary terminals for information.

Datapads are not anywhere near iPads of today.
They're more like CD's or DVD's, in that they'll have stored information but usually not connected up the wazoo.

Someone made the argument somewhere that the reason Star Wars is so "archaic" (for the lack of a better word) when it comes to information sharing and wireless connections is that in a world where you have droids that can perform inhuman feats of slicing, you don't want wireless connections that are just screaming to be hacked (or sliced, as it's called). The same goes for Viruses and the speed they would spread and destroy important infrastructure.

Instead, the cheap alternative is to make everything have physical connections and limit the connectivity of computers.

So, you can't really remotely slice into a spaceship, for example.
Nor can you remotely slice into most droids (the exception being droids that have a remote control station like B1 battle droids had).

This also means that if you want some information or anything like that, you'll usually have to find a terminal that either has that information stored on it or one that is physically linked to a database that does.

EDIT: As for my experience of SWG, it just consisted of a very short 2 week trial which was mostly spent playing as an entertainer in the mos eisley cantina with my friend who did the same (he had an afro, shiny chrome shorts and two shiny chrome blaster pistols. I honestly don't remember what my character looked like)

I very much agree with your assessment of the difference between our Internet and Personal Data Devices vs. the Star Wars universe as it needs to function to mimic the movies and to be Science Fantasy and not Science Fiction. If you have all the instant on demand communication and ability to have information at your fingertips so many things lose their charm. The Rebels TV show kind of breaks this convention a lot for story convenience (Hera once blew up a cruiser by hacking it from who knows how far away), but unless you feel comfortable telling players their stuff only works when it's powered by plot, you have to put these restrictions in to preserve the wild west/WWII/Arthurian feel. 

The ability for the Empire to find you should be the equivalent of the evil forces of Lord Evil using dark magic and coercion to catch up with the heroes. In a game with underworld intrigue why are there Infochants, SpyNet, Droids, etc. if you can just search the galaxy-wide HoloNet that any imbecile could use? I think Star Wars is better served by an information economy that has many levels of access and also many levels of restriction and lack of specificity. 

I'm jealous of your friend if they had a graphic for two pistols. I always wanted to dual wield in that game, but I imagine they had some things Dancers could use that others couldn't and that were just graphics for entertaining. Great post, thanks for putting this out there, I think it's good info. 

22 hours ago, Archlyte said:

I very much agree with your assessment of the difference between our Internet and Personal Data Devices vs. the Star Wars universe as it needs to function to mimic the movies and to be Science Fantasy and not Science Fiction. If you have all the instant on demand communication and ability to have information at your fingertips so many things lose their charm. The Rebels TV show kind of breaks this convention a lot for story convenience (Hera once blew up a cruiser by hacking it from who knows how far away), but unless you feel comfortable telling players their stuff only works when it's powered by plot, you have to put these restrictions in to preserve the wild west/WWII/Arthurian feel. 

The ability for the Empire to find you should be the equivalent of the evil forces of Lord Evil using dark magic and coercion to catch up with the heroes. In a game with underworld intrigue why are there Infochants, SpyNet, Droids, etc. if you can just search the galaxy-wide HoloNet that any imbecile could use? I think Star Wars is better served by an information economy that has many levels of access and also many levels of restriction and lack of specificity. 

I'm jealous of your friend if they had a graphic for two pistols. I always wanted to dual wield in that game, but I imagine they had some things Dancers could use that others couldn't and that were just graphics for entertaining. Great post, thanks for putting this out there, I think it's good info. 

Ugh... there's so many things I hate about Rebels, and that's just one of them... 

If you ask me, it's a show written for children BY children. 
But then, nobody asked me :rolleyes:

(And my friend might have had just one pistol. It's a very distant memory for me)

Edited by OddballE8