Tonytt1642

Wave 1 complete? and wave 2 speculation.

40 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, ninclouse2000 said:

I think and hope this game is only 2 factions.  Leave the crappy prequels and the new trilogy out of this game.

Ehhh... nothing personal but once again I'll agree to disagree. A variety of factions keeps list building interesting. This is a war game... just because the movies were mediocre doesn't mean the characters woulsn't make for incredibly cool units. 

First Order Flametroopers? Battle Droids? Jedi? All would make for really cool units. General Greivous and Obi Wan facing off on the battlefield? I'd be all over it. 

20 minutes ago, Copes said:

Ehhh... nothing personal but once again I'll agree to disagree. A variety of factions keeps list building interesting. This is a war game... just because the movies were mediocre doesn't mean the characters woulsn't make for incredibly cool units. 

First Order Flametroopers? Battle Droids? Jedi? All would make for really cool units. General Greivous and Obi Wan facing off on the battlefield? I'd be all over it. 

I guess we will respectfully disagree like you said lol.  It would destroy the theme for me if someone were to bring a first order army or droid army against a rebel or imperial army.  I would have to decline playing that match because it would scramble my brain the same way it would if someone brought the allied forces to battle a Vietnam era army of n a wargame.  Much respect to you and your thoughts  though.  To each their own I suppose.

X-Wings and TIE Fighters are not this game. They would move way to fast and be far to low to the ground to work properly. Personally I'm surprised they are releasing the air speeder, but I think the explanation for it is in the name, "speeder". They will totally make more speeders down the road, but star fighters don't make sense in this game.

star fighters could be used like planes are used in historical wargames. They would be called in on one turn for an airstrike on a specific location.  AA would then fire and if the aircraft survives they attack the area. Then they leave.

TUZ likes this

2 hours ago, jcmonson said:

star fighters could be used like planes are used in historical wargames. They would be called in on one turn for an airstrike on a specific location.  AA would then fire and if the aircraft survives they attack the area. Then they leave.

I fully expect the community to create rules like this  vein if FFG don't do so officially :)

Gunbunnie likes this

4 hours ago, Copes said:

Ehhh... nothing personal but once again I'll agree to disagree. A variety of factions keeps list building interesting.

Depends on how they achieve a variety of army types. I have said elsewhere that Armada has the commanders with rather specific abilities that tie in to the design of the army. An Ackbar fleet will probably look different to a Reikeen fleet and play somewhat differently too. So you may not have to have Orcs, Humans and Elves to gain variety. In addition as the waves tend to mix things up you also gain some variety for the changes being made.

As such I think a well designed game will achieve far more variety than a poorly designed game with 8 factions.

17 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

A big part of the SW films are the monsters.

It was mentioned in another thread some time ago, but random creature encounters would make for some interesting moments during a battle: Do you try and fight your opponent or the rampaging Wampa, a band of Tusken raiders or Ewoks this turn? So, a creature pack might make it into wave 2. It would certainly make  the game more Star Warsy to me.

If FFG doesn't do it, some community group/house rules are certainly called for.

Yeah, this would be cool!  A scenario where you have 3 wild Rancors in the middle of the table, and the objective points are gained by gathering some resources (or stockpiled good or whatever) from a cache in the middle of the table.  You'd have to deal with your opponent and also the Rancors.  Something along those lines would be something I could get behind.  I know it wouldn't necessarily work for an "official" game since it seems like the normal requirement is that players only bring their army with them and not extra miniatures for scenarios.  But still, I do want to see some monsters: rancors, wampas, gundarks, ewoks (okay, maybe not ewoks!), etc.  

Also, chiming in on some of the other discussions about this topic (in this thread and many others), I really do hope that FFG adds several more factions to the game, eventually.  I think it's good to start with just 2 factions, but I hope that within a year or two they do get at least a couple of other factions going.  If people want to play in "timeline-restricted" events then I can understand and respect that (why would Rebels fight the Resistance, for example?), but in terms of gameplay experience I think it could get a bit stale to only ever play Rebels vs Empire. 

• I think that FFG would do well to go with First Order and Resistance, in order to capitalize on the new movies.  But I hope they don't stop there...
  • While I'm fully aware that most people don't like the prequels...can we at least recognize that the large-scale battles we see in those movies lend themselves perfectly to a game like Legion?  Clones vs Battle Droids, Super Battle Droids, Geonosians, Supercommandos, the bigger vehicles such as Hailfire Droids and Assault Tanks, etc.  It's gonna be hard to come up with enough Legion-sized vehicles from episodes 4-6, but episodes 1-3 are packed full of them.  

Personally, I'd be happy to see 6 or even 7 factions at some point, as long as they're all well-developed and thematically-coherent:

• Republic
  • Separatist/CIS
  • Rebellion
  • Empire
  • Resistance
  • First Order
  • Scum/Mercenary/Fringe/unaffiliated
Tonytt1642 and Force Majeure like this

12 hours ago, thereisnotry said:

Personally, I'd be happy to see 6 or even 7 factions at some point, as long as they're all well-developed and thematically-coherent:

• Republic
  • Separatist/CIS
  • Rebellion
  • Empire
  • Resistance
  • First Order
  • Scum/Mercenary/Fringe/unaffiliated

I play X-Wing, dabbling in Runewars and am going in deep with Legion.
That list seems rather long. Daunting for new players.

I can certainly see the Clonewars as it's own set of armies, and the current Civil War factions. Played without crossover.

I believe that when/if they introduce the Resistance and FO, it'll be fluff to add to the Rebels/Imperial much akin to X-Wing.

Would love to see Neutral units though, bounty hunters/hired guns as Special Forces etc.
Mandalorians ? They seem to appear to work with both sides, depending on clan

thereisnotry likes this

10 hours ago, Mirkon said:

I believe that when/if they introduce the Resistance and FO, it'll be fluff to add to the Rebels/Imperial much akin to X-Wing.

The "Light Side Only" / "Dark Side Only" wording on force powers suggests as much.

12 minutes ago, svelok said:

The "Light Side Only" / "Dark Side Only" wording on force powers suggests as much.

Alternatively, units who can use force powers might be assigned a "side" with no baring on the army they are a part of.

9 minutes ago, svelok said:

I've been taking it to mean that there will be more completely separate factions. Nothing on Luke or Vader's cards suggest whether those characters are Light Side or Dark Side (of course we all know, but the game still needs a rule).

I strongly suspect the Light Side/Dark Side distinction will apply to individual factions: The Rebel Alliance, Grand Army of the Republic, and the Resistance will ultimately all be Light Side Factions, while the Galactic Empire, Confederacy of Independent Systems, and the First Order will all be Dark Side Factions. I don't think we'll be combining or mixing them, but that it will mostly just define which Force powers can be used by each faction.

thereisnotry likes this

3 minutes ago, Copes said:

Alternatively, units who can use force powers might be assigned a "side" with no baring on the army they are a part of.

1 minute ago, Dr Lucky said:

I don't think we'll be combining or mixing them, but that it will mostly just define which Force powers can be used by each faction.

Yup, absolutely possible. 

I'll go on the record as saying I predict around 2 years of GCW era, and then a sequel era wave that bundles them with their GCW counterparts, ala X-Wing, but the only people who know for sure are FFG.