Jump to content
werdnaegni

Tabletop Admiral overhaul almost complete. Feedback pleeeeease

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, aermet69 said:

I noticed when I had made my command card deck, that on the list with my choices, it didn't list the cost. That made it slightly annoying when I was trying to cut down to 15/15 :)

Whoops. Fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overall feedback: I really like it. An improvement on the previous version for sure. Feels slick, looks better, picking Command Cards (which was the main area that needed improvement) is about a million times better now. Two thumbs up.

More specific nit-picks / thoughts, in no particular order:

- I really dislike the card limit being shown in the front of the card name like it is (I Trusted Ally or IIII Rebel Trooper for example). I'd personally rather simply see the colour differentiate between regular and elite, and a bullet for uniques, as in the game itself. It's by no means a showstopper but looks a bit clumsy IMO.

- Mak Eshka'rey needs an apostrophe in his name. :)

- Any possibility of putting the wound/figure metadata under the points/card count info? I understand that it's less important, but it feels a bit lost down there at the bottom (I didn't realise it was there at first, until I scrolled down!).

- I do like the way factions each have their own page (though it looks like you're getting some feedback in the other direction - it's fine if you go back to how it was, though I personally prefer it this way) but because it's all still really one page, there's no way to go back to the faction selection. So I just made a Rebel list, realised it might work better as a Scum list with Temporary Alliance, so hit Clear Deployments... and it still wasn't a Scum list, it was still on the Rebel page with no way to go back! It only takes a page refresh so again, no big deal; just an observation.

- I wonder if it might be worth filtering Skirmish Upgrades and/or Attachments in the same way Command Cards now are? e.g. Beast Tamer, only useful if you have Creatures; Motivation, can only be taken with a Unique figure. Not a big deal to leave it like it is though, just thinking aloud.

- It'd be very useful to highlight unique-figure-specific Command Cards in the list (like the old version did IIRC?). If I've chosen Luke Skywalker, make Son of Skywalker stand out bright and beautiful. :)

- The selection highlight in the card list seems to be on hover only, and doesn't stay once clicked? So I click on (say) Last Resort to see what it does, think to myself "hmm that looks really useful", then I have to find it in the list again to add to my army! (An "add" button under the card image would be useful too).

Thanks for your hard work. This is a really useful tool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Bitterman said:

- I really dislike the card limit being shown in the front of the card name like it is (I Trusted Ally or IIII Rebel Trooper for example). I'd personally rather simply see the colour differentiate between regular and elite, and a bullet for uniques, as in the game itself. It's by no means a showstopper but looks a bit clumsy IMO.

I don't like the way it looks right now either. I DO want it to give you an indication of how many more of something you're allowed to add, but maybe that's just not important. Open to feedback.

21 hours ago, Bitterman said:

- Mak Eshka'rey needs an apostrophe in his name. :)

He's not the only one. I did the database/site stupidly last time so quotes would mess up my code. That SHOULD be fixed now, but I'll have to check.

21 hours ago, Bitterman said:

- Any possibility of putting the wound/figure metadata under the points/card count info? I understand that it's less important, but it feels a bit lost down there at the bottom (I didn't realise it was there at first, until I scrolled down!).

I'm not fully opposed, but tried to think of the mobile users and don't want to make them scroll any more than they have to. I'll think about it though.

21 hours ago, Bitterman said:

I do like the way factions each have their own page (though it looks like you're getting some feedback in the other direction - it's fine if you go back to how it was, though I personally prefer it this way) but because it's all still really one page, there's no way to go back to the faction selection. So I just made a Rebel list, realised it might work better as a Scum list with Temporary Alliance, so hit Clear Deployments... and it still wasn't a Scum list, it was still on the Rebel page with no way to go back! It only takes a page refresh so again, no big deal; just an observation.

Yeah I just need the clear list button to ask you for your faction again. Should be easy enough.

21 hours ago, Bitterman said:

- I wonder if it might be worth filtering Skirmish Upgrades and/or Attachments in the same way Command Cards now are? e.g. Beast Tamer, only useful if you have Creatures; Motivation, can only be taken with a Unique figure. Not a big deal to leave it like it is though, just thinking aloud.

It does filter skirmish upgrades now, but I missed Beast Tamer. Should be fixed now.
As for Motivation, I'll have to add some code for that, but skirmish upgrades that require a trait shouldn't show up until you add cards with that trait.

21 hours ago, Bitterman said:

- It'd be very useful to highlight unique-figure-specific Command Cards in the list (like the old version did IIRC?). If I've chosen Luke Skywalker, make Son of Skywalker stand out bright and beautiful. :)

Yeah, I'll bring that back.

21 hours ago, Bitterman said:

- The selection highlight in the card list seems to be on hover only, and doesn't stay once clicked? So I click on (say) Last Resort to see what it does, think to myself "hmm that looks really useful", then I have to find it in the list again to add to my army! (An "add" button under the card image would be useful too).

Both good ideas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, nickv2002 said:

On http://tabletopadmiral.com/imperialassault/ when picking a faction.

  1. Only the bullet points are clickable, not the faction names
  2. Even the clickable bullet points don't have the correct properties such that the browser shows a glove for the mouse pointer (standard for a link) instead of a regular arrow (which usually means no link and no text).

Yeah, I'll make that a little prettier soon, and just make them links.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2017 at 7:33 PM, werdnaegni said:

I DO want it to give you an indication of how many more of something you're allowed to add, but maybe that's just not important. Open to feedback.

Just my opinion: it's not important. I personally think it's reasonable to assume that users of the site know enough about IA to know you can take four of each grey, two of each red, or one of each unique. If they don't know the rules of the game, they'll have no idea what list they're building anyway - a certain minimal level of knowledge can be assumed IMO.

I'm obviously not upset if you decide to show the limits somehow anyway, but I think we're agreed the current method isn't ideal.

Thanks for your continued openness to feedback!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I loved the old one. It was awesome. This feels like screwing with perfection now.  This new one is harder to read, the text is wonkie, and the background is too dark. The layout reminds me of a website from the 90s. I prefer the old one when adding in something like temporary alliance. I like just looking at the rebels and picking out the two units without having all the scum units to look through as well.  Over all it feels like a huge downgrade and I am disappointed the old one, which was great, is now gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Mep said:

Personally I loved the old one. It was awesome. This feels like screwing with perfection now.  This new one is harder to read, the text is wonkie, and the background is too dark. The layout reminds me of a website from the 90s. I prefer the old one when adding in something like temporary alliance. I like just looking at the rebels and picking out the two units without having all the scum units to look through as well.  Over all it feels like a huge downgrade and I am disappointed the old one, which was great, is now gone.

Sorry to hear that.

I do plan to put the faction checkboxes back and change the color scheme a little if it's Any consolation, I'm just a little burnt out from working on it so taking a little break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, werdnaegni said:

Sorry to hear that.

I do plan to put the faction checkboxes back and change the color scheme a little if it's Any consolation, I'm just a little burnt out from working on it so taking a little break.

Do what you can man. :D You've already done an incredible job. I will except anything you offer, as I CANNOT do any better. I can honestly say that your work enhances our game. It makes building and communicating builds with each other so much easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've added a "restart and choose faction" button, and also brought back the check boxes for factions.

Just to be clear, if you have Mercenary checked, and are building an Empire list with autofiltering on, mercenary cards still won't show up until they're relevant (you add temporary alliance or something else that allows merc cards).

Let me know what I broke.

Next up is an attempt to make it all easier on the eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Isnigu said:

The printer friendly and faction choice pages are still using the old colouring.

Yeah I've still got a couple things left. Need to do hover styles for the new buttons too. Should be done today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing though. When I pick a CC for a list, the list jumps (I have autofiltering). Obviously because the card is removed, but the sorting of the cards doesn't remain the same.

Like if the list looks like:

Survival Instinct

Pummel

Looking For A Fight

and I pick Pummel for my list, the list then looks like:

Survival Instinct

Change Of Plans

Looking For A Fight

 

Another small thing, could the unique cards be linked to the faction as well on autofiltering? Like, if I sort only by Empire and have autofiltering, I can't take Emperor's card. Or would that **** it up, when allying with uniques?

 

Finally, there are still two instances of Looking For A Fight and Take Positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, aermet69 said:

One thing though. When I pick a CC for a list, the list jumps (I have autofiltering). Obviously because the card is removed, but the sorting of the cards doesn't remain the same.

Like if the list looks like:

Survival Instinct

Pummel

Looking For A Fight

and I pick Pummel for my list, the list then looks like:

Survival Instinct

Change Of Plans

Looking For A Fight

 

Another small thing, could the unique cards be linked to the faction as well on autofiltering? Like, if I sort only by Empire and have autofiltering, I can't take Emperor's card. Or would that **** it up, when allying with uniques?

 

Finally, there are still two instances of Looking For A Fight and Take Positions.

I'll look into the sorting problem.

Could you elaborate on the unique cards thing? I'm not sure what you mean.
Are you saying that if you're making an Empire list, and you uncheck every faction except Empire, Palpatine doesn't show up? I'm guessing that's not it, but my wee brain is confused, so please elaborate, thanks!

Unfortunately, if I take out the other instances of looking for a fight and take positions, it'll break some lists. My mistake will haunt me for eternity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two things:

1. Could you change it so that the arrow is briefly highlighted when you press it? On the desktop I can see the card added on the right column, but on mobile I have to scroll down, which is tedious. 

2. Heart of Freedom, the command card, is being filtered out of my Rebel list building for some reason by the auto filter. 

And lastly I have a question. I thought I saw somewhere that you could upload a  list from here to Vassal. Is that possible yet? If so, how does that work?

Thanks for all your work on this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ryanjamal said:

Two things:

1. Could you change it so that the arrow is briefly highlighted when you press it? On the desktop I can see the card added on the right column, but on mobile I have to scroll down, which is tedious. 

2. Heart of Freedom, the command card, is being filtered out of my Rebel list building for some reason by the auto filter. 

And lastly I have a question. I thought I saw somewhere that you could upload a  list from here to Vassal. Is that possible yet? If so, how does that work?

Thanks for all your work on this!

1. I think adding hover styles should fix that on mobile, but if it doesn't, I'll figure something else out. I agree it needs some kind of responsiveness.

2. This is weird. I thought it might be a problem with "Any [faction] Figure", but Opportunistic works fine in a scum list. I'll have to give this a look.

And for your last question, my part of the process is done. The "Export as JSON" is what you'll need. I think we're still waiting for the Vassal person to come up with an import format.
There's a thread in the Skirmish subforum about it somewhere, maybe it's worth giving them a poke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×