Sign in to follow this  
penpenpen

Overcharged BR-219 twice as dangerous?

So, our intrepid band of murder hobos adventuring heroes recently got our hands on the little gem that is the BR-219 blaster pistol (from Endless Vigil) after it's last owner had an unfortunate interaction with a lightsaber. Now apart from it's pretty nice firepower it's got the added bonus of damaging itself or even blowing up and potentially killing it's user! Some would regard that as a major flaw, but let's be honest; blasters are made to kill, and if it's not limited to killing what's in front of it that must make it a better blaster, right? Right!?

No? We'll just give it to the trandoshan then. His hands grow back.

Anyways, I was looking for ways to make this a better (as in even more killy) weapon and I came across the attachment "Overcharged Actuating Module" (from Special Modifications). While it does bump up the damage it also comes with the inherent drawback of "The GM may spend 2 Threat from any combat check made with this weapon to have it become damaged one step; from undamaged to Minor, Minor to Moderate, or Moderate to Major" which is exactly what the BR-219 already has (in addition to blowing up on a despair).

The question is, should these things stack? I considered dropping a line to FFG but in these cases the answer is almost "Yes, no or whatever you feel like." so I figured I'd ask for the opinions of this esteemed crowd instead.

So far I have thought of the following possibilities:
1. This attachment is obviously already built into this weapon, and wouldn't work. Installing it does nothing.
2. The weapon already has this rule and it doesn't stack. This attachment causes no extra drawback to the weapon, it's dangerous enough as it is.
3. Only two threat per roll can spent on this drawback, therefore it can only be damaged on step per roll. If it gains this rule twice however, it can be damaged twice if four threats are spent on it.
4. Stacking these to drawbacks should make it even more prone to damage, like only needing a single threat to become damaged.

Which option would you prefer? Or would you handle it some other way?

I'd say that it's either like some items, and has the quality already built in, and therefore cannot be modded with it...OR...OR.....2 threat causes it to damage two steps instead of one.  Double down on that.

47 minutes ago, tehRJ said:

I'd say that it's either like some items, and has the quality already built in, and therefore cannot be modded with it...OR...OR.....2 threat causes it to damage two steps instead of one.  Double down on that.

I would run with a single threat for damage. 

Also, don't forget that the rules do not state that you may only spend 2 threat for 1 step of damage.  You can spend 4 threat for 2 steps, etc.  Just like sunder.  Or in the case of the double dangerous pistol, 4 threat = destroyed.

7 hours ago, Edgookin said:

Also, don't forget that the rules do not state that you may only spend 2 threat for 1 step of damage.  You can spend 4 threat for 2 steps, etc.  Just like sunder.  Or in the case of the double dangerous pistol, 4 threat = destroyed.

Indeed, but it wouldn't be a completely outlandish interpretation of the rules. That's why I included it.

17 hours ago, penpenpen said:

3. Only two threat per roll can spent on this drawback, therefore it can only be damaged on step per roll. If it gains this rule twice however, it can be damaged twice if four threats are spent on it.

Based on the options provided, I'd go with 3. 

Normally, having two separate weapon qualities with the same effect would double the effect.  (eg: If you have a Superior Weapon Quality & a Forearm Grip w/ +1 quality, then the weapon gets +2 Dmg).

If it were me, I'd recommend that two threat result in the weapon being damaged two levels.