kdlittle88

Shipping now! Wooooooo!

22 hours ago, themensch said:

You're not sufficiently hyped already?!?  

Well, again, it's not me. Or probably you or probably anyone on this forum. I'm sold... literally, I pre-ordered a while back.

You do the articles, the podcasts, the advance reviews, etc for all the RPGers out that who haven't heard of Genesys yet. I've taken a chance on Genesys based on scant info about how it will actually play, I can't fault people who have looked at the three articles and not bloody much else and decided not to take a chance. You do marketing not for the devout but to convert the heathens...

In short I'd like this system to be wildly successful not just a footnote in a list of RPG titles that never really caught on.

26 minutes ago, dlw32 said:

Well, again, it's not me. Or probably you or probably anyone on this forum. I'm sold... literally, I pre-ordered a while back.

You do the articles, the podcasts, the advance reviews, etc for all the RPGers out that who haven't heard of Genesys yet. I've taken a chance on Genesys based on scant info about how it will actually play, I can't fault people who have looked at the three articles and not bloody much else and decided not to take a chance. You do marketing not for the devout but to convert the heathens...

In short I'd like this system to be wildly successful not just a footnote in a list of RPG titles that never really caught on.

Been in the marketing game since the early 90's in one way or another, and of course I agree.  It's a little late now....  There are apparently laurels upon which to rest here.  

33 minutes ago, themensch said:

Been in the marketing game since the early 90's in one way or another, and of course I agree.  It's a little late now....  There are apparently laurels upon which to rest here.  

yeah, it rather feels like a personal fancy hobby project marketing wise somebody did in his past time :D 

40 minutes ago, DarthDude said:

yeah, it rather feels like a personal fancy hobby project marketing wise somebody did in his past time :D 

Twilight Imperium has had 10 articles since August.   There are significant examples of game mechanics in a number of them.   

L5R has had 40 articles since June.  The articles are generally chockful of example cards and mechanics.

Genesys has had 5 articles since June.  The only real game mechanics that came close to being discussed with any precision (and that's a stretch) is a little bit on magic in the 4th article and a little bit on social conflict in the 3rd.

Genesys is already the victim of a fumbled marketing campaign.  I hope it still lands on its feet and that the positive word of mouth of its buyers (myself most definitely included as a buyer, and hopefully a happy one) will give it wings.  But its short-term success hinges on the efforts of folks like DarthGM with his Fallout setting, and others on this forum with their own settings that really give us examples to follow in building our own campaigns with our own homebrewed add-ons to the rules. 

Its long-term success is completely on FFG's shoulders, and it feels like those shoulders are already shrugging.  Starting out, all FFG would have had to do was let DarthGM off the NDA chain a little early and actually make the Fallout conversion the subject of a damned preview article itself and people could have started preparing in earnest for their own campaigns since they would have had a model to follow that answered many of our ongoing questions.  More importantly, they could have started PLAYING.  Those who look for a cool system with a cool setting will either have to play Star Wars or look elsewhere until one of FFG's fully fleshed out settings finally comes along, and there's not even a date for when that might be.  Unless you want to build a campaign largely from scratch or with a tiny handful of setting notes in the core, FFG's message is "buy the core book now and then play something else for a while".  Luckily I'll put in the work to build a campaign if the core is strong, but not everyone has the time or inclination for that.

Edited by Dragonshadow

I wonder if they're letting the core land softly and will plug the setting books harder. Especially after the shipping snafu, they may have been wary of plugging a product that suddenly could have been very delayed.

I agree though, a series of articles like the "Journey of Genesys" as a writer takes the system and builds a setting from scratch, illustrating and hinting at certain core elements, would have been a simple and effective marketing push.

2 hours ago, Dragonshadow said:

Genesys is already the victim of a fumbled marketing campaign.  I hope it still lands on its feet and that the positive word of mouth of its buyers (myself most definitely included as a buyer, and hopefully a happy one) will give it wings.

I've already sold my group on the concept. If the one-shot goes well, there will be 4-5 more core book sales. Hopefully, that pattern continues, though a little marketing push would be nice. No one I know has heard of Genesys before I mentioned it to them.

As far as lack of articles, a generic system is hard to tease without either giving the goods away or being worthlessly vague. The articles published so far all boil down to "Genesys has rules for you to build stuff." Even the magic article could be fairly summarized as "there's a skill-based spellcasting system and implements alter that, but you can change it all if you want". No concrete details to be found. I think FFG has just struggled with how to give us something without giving us everything and come up short.

I strongly suspect we'll see a surge of marketing for the settings/genre books, which will tacitly push the core book sales as well. On its own, there's nothing really sexy about the core book because it's basically just rules to make other rules. The implementation is what will grab people.