RufusDaMan

Battlefront 2 discussion thread

Lets not forget that FCC is also getting rid of Net Neutrality so now these always online multiplayer only games as a service are going to get more expensive, or cease to exist.

2TUSPEz.jpg

Actually I can see a future where Comcast buys EA, then you think it is bad now. How did the internet get taken over by all these evil people. Dark Side wins again, dark side always wins.

Well, just to throw in my two cents in here real quick-

The moment I decided I like the game was when I first noticed I unlocked a new weapon- around three hours after I'd done so. For the most of my time with the game I did not use Star Cards and used only the standard guns- and I loved the core gameplay loop. To my mind, a game that only keeps me coming back for unlocks isn't one to praise all that highly.

Battlefront II is the opposite- a game I'd play even without the Star Wars name on it, just for the gameplay, being held back by its ethically bankrupt, backwards progression system.

I was drawn in by the campaign. Battlefront 1 and 2 both look, feel and sound very Star Wars. I loved Dark Forces back in the day and when hearing BF2 had a campaign I was pumped. 

What I have found though is that the campaign feels like nothing more than a trainer for online MP games ... just run around and shoot stuff and we'll just throw in some cut scenes to shape a story so that you can use heroes/weapons from both sides of the fence.

The MP feels like a grind from the first game. 5-6 games in the repetitive nature of the games become sufficating.

I'm trying to like it. I really am. I want to like it .. but without the shiny star wars veneer, it just feels so hollow.

41 minutes ago, Conandoodle said:

I was drawn in by the campaign. Battlefront 1 and 2 both look, feel and sound very Star Wars. I loved Dark Forces back in the day and when hearing BF2 had a campaign I was pumped. 

What I have found though is that the campaign feels like nothing more than a trainer for online MP games ... just run around and shoot stuff and we'll just throw in some cut scenes to shape a story so that you can use heroes/weapons from both sides of the fence.

The MP feels like a grind from the first game. 5-6 games in the repetitive nature of the games become sufficating.

I'm trying to like it. I really am. I want to like it .. but without the shiny star wars veneer, it just feels so hollow.

That's basically what singleplayer in DICE Battlefield/front games are. Their main focus is multiplayer and it always has been since BF1942. Only exception is the Bad Company games, but even those had a heavy multiplayer focus. If you buy a Dice Battle---- game for only the singleplayer, you are going to have a bad time.

I agree the game is WAY too **** grindy. I have about a dozen hours in multiplayer and I really don't feel like I have a whole lot unlocked. Games should be setup were newer players get a bunch of the lower level unlocks quickly and the more advance/better unlocks should come after some grind. I think the trick is to always buy hero crates. They are the cheapest and eventually you'll start getting duplicates which give you even more credits. Those in turn will allow for more crate purchases, which means you will get more crafting parts.

The system is pretty dumb though. Hopefully they do make some changes.

The gameplay is much better than BF1 though. Especially starfighter assault.

Edited by Jo Jo

I've been enjoying it well enough. It's a grind, and I'm not very good at ground fighting (and only somewhat better in a starfighter) but it's enjoyable just the same. (Am I the only one who thinks the TIE Interceptor flies like an old truck?)

The big complaint that I have is that I can't pick the board I want to start on. I have no interest in playing a droid, and if I only have an hour or less to play, it's a drag to never get to the one board I was really hoping for. I don't mind randomizing after that, but being able to jump in where I want would make me happier.

The loot boxes are an interesting mechanic. I can't imagine paying money for them, so I'm a little slow to get upgraded cards/gear, but it doesn't bug me the way it does some people.

48 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

That's basically what singleplayer in DICE Battlefield/front games are. Their main focus is multiplayer and it always has been since BF1942. Only exception is the Bad Company games, but even those had a heavy multiplayer focus. If you buy a Dice Battle---- game for only the singleplayer, you are going to have a bad time.

Yes. You're very right. Deep down I knew. But the campaign talks about 'hope' a lot and I guess I also had a lot of hope for a more engaging  campaign. 

Got it, enjoyed campaign, like that there will be free DLC chapters, love the new characters. Wish there were more Imperial content. Enjoy playing Arcade with my kids. I hope they port the other game modes over to arcade.

I've played a lot of starfighter assault, generally wrecking face. I massively prefer the light side heroes todark side, I think the 2 Falcons suck ***, darth maul is terrible, Kylo Ren is barely passable and Fett is only good due to his AOE. On the other hand Luke, Yoda, Vader and especially Poe are AMAZING.

Basically as a modern star wars game it's amazing, but hate the perpetual multiplayer focus. Want more coop modes.

On 2.12.2017 at 4:52 AM, DariusAPB said:

Got it, enjoyed campaign, like that there will be free DLC chapters, love the new characters. Wish there were more Imperial content. Enjoy playing Arcade with my kids. I hope they port the other game modes over to arcade.

I've played a lot of starfighter assault, generally wrecking face. I massively prefer the light side heroes todark side, I think the 2 Falcons suck ***, darth maul is terrible, Kylo Ren is barely passable and Fett is only good due to his AOE. On the other hand Luke, Yoda, Vader and especially Poe are AMAZING.

Basically as a modern star wars game it's amazing, but hate the perpetual multiplayer focus. Want more coop modes.

Too bad EA killed Viceral and their single player star wars game. Or maybe that is good, looking at the turn Shadow of War took over at WB games...

What is everyones take on DICEA increasing the credit payout because it was to a majority of players way too grindy? Still think microtransactions had no impact on your experience?

On 02/12/2017 at 2:52 PM, DariusAPB said:

Agreed

In my circle of friends we are all gravitating toward the co-op games ... particularly Destiny 2, Borderlands and The Division. Far Cry 4 looks promising.

It's possible that over the past 15 years we've been inundated with FPS MP death matches and grown bored of this format. It's also possible that (as we're in our late 30's) we are slowing down and just want to play enjoyable stress-free games, drink beers and talk nonsense while our kids are out of the house. 

19 hours ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

Too bad EA killed Viceral and their single player star wars game. Or maybe that is good, looking at the turn Shadow of War took over at WB games...

What is everyones take on DICEA increasing the credit payout because it was to a majority of players way too grindy? Still think microtransactions had no impact on your experience?

Pretty obviously shows they were lying about the optional nature of the micro transactions don't it.

I still don't trust them not to undo this with hidden code when they feel safe about bringing loot boxes back.

Really hope legislation comes in to stop this practice.

Well so I finished Ressurection/ First off Kudos for the game creators for a free DLC like that, it's a couple hours content, nothing mindblowing, and some will probably argue that it should have been in the game from the get go. Fair enough. Still, i'd happily pay for DLC story chapters like that. I won't give away any spoilers. Not even my feelings.

On 11/29/2017 at 5:24 AM, SEApocalypse said:

Have you not bought the game? Which is an expression of support in form of monetary reward. The best kind of support. 

Doesn't work like that with video games. All it does it once again reduces the creative pool to kickstarter and indy crap because noone will fund the pre launch hours and to develop good games.

EA already has a history of just shuttering studios after bad performances.

30 minutes ago, Ralgon said:

Doesn't work like that with video games. All it does it once again reduces the creative pool to kickstarter and indy crap because noone will fund the pre launch hours and to develop good games.

EA already has a history of just shuttering studios after bad performances.

I like my indy crap like witcher 3, torment and divinity :P