CitizenKeen

Requirements for CharGen App?

On 11/29/2017 at 9:40 AM, CitizenKeen said:

I'd say I'm 80% of the way to an alpha.

Custom everything is the goal, and I'm building the architecture with the assumption I'll get there, but some things are going to be pretty barebones out of the gate.

Did you settle on web-based? If so I do some front-end web dev and would be happy to assist with UI/UX if you’d like. 

I expect that the realities of creating an freeform character generator have delayed this project. Most character generators never make it past the 80% mark when the scope of supported options becomes horrifyingly clear.

I've been trying to figure out hosting, I've never hosted a Dot Net Core app before. The app is mostly ready for launch otherwise. However, I'm going to see where SkyJedi goes with their app, since the effort feels duplicative and they have the name recognition.

On 11/21/2018 at 7:34 AM, CitizenKeen said:

SkyJedi's genesysemporium.com has you covered.

I know I am resurrecting this...but any chance you might make an NPC creator? Like for Genesys Foundry? Could be much more streamlined since NPCs don't follow the talents rules, etc.  Like one that is ready to plop right into a PDF. Also have a custom area for Talents where people include the ability text. 

18 hours ago, shamp said:

I know I am resurrecting this...but any chance you might make an NPC creator? Like for Genesys Foundry? Could be much more streamlined since NPCs don't follow the talents rules, etc.  Like one that is ready to plop right into a PDF. Also have a custom area for Talents where people include the ability text. 

I take it you haven't seen the EPG yet, then? There's an entire chapter, about a dozen pages, on this very thing. It also includes the new rules for Adversary Power Levels and appropriate Challenge Ratings for your PCs based on their XP totals.

It's pretty cool stuff!

5 hours ago, c__beck said:

I take it you haven't seen the EPG yet, then? There's an entire chapter, about a dozen pages, on this very thing. It also includes the new rules for Adversary Power Levels and appropriate Challenge Ratings for your PCs based on their XP totals.

It's pretty cool stuff!

I am waiting to enjoy the EPG (in the mail). But I was looking for an actual software/image creator to then put into a PDF easily. I know how to build characters--I just don't know how to build character assets for documents (easily).

15 hours ago, shamp said:

I am waiting to enjoy the EPG (in the mail). But I was looking for an actual software/image creator to then put into a PDF easily. I know how to build characters--I just don't know how to build character assets for documents (easily).

Ah, gotcha. Well, the Foundry has some great art assets. Both the InDesign Template bundle as well as @drainsmith's Additional Assets bundle has the images for adversaries and vehicles.

Once you get that, just use your layout software of choice. Affinity Publisher is a current favourite, and a cheaper alternative to InDesign (no monthly fee!). But if you don't want to spend the money, there are several free alternatives for putting everything together.

I know that Inkscape works well with vector images and you can use it with the images to make the stat block and then throw it into a text editor for adding the text. Scribus is a free and open-source layout program. But it also feels and looks free. You're not going to get the crisp look of Affinity Publisher or InDesign with Scribus (or so I've been told, I have AP so I have no experience with Scribus). But it should do the trick for your table at home.