CitizenKeen

Requirements for CharGen App?

Okay, so, I'm a medium-caliber software dev, and I've been dinking around with a Genesys chargen site. Want to make sure I've got my ducks in a row for v1, so make sure I've got a good checklist for what a proper chargen package would need. Would love some feedback.

• Ability to choose all the basic things (Fear, Desire, etc.); free-form, etc.
  • Ability to manipulate Characteristics and Skills, knowing that some of part of the value for these come from a base Archetype/Career.
  • Ability to select and customize Gear and Spells/Powers, based on campaign rules.
  • Ability to select and customize Talents, based on prereqs and campaign rules. Allow for campaigns to define their own Talent trees.
  • Allow GMs to manage a campaign's rules, and to view/manage all characters in the campaign. Non-GM users would be able to manage their character in a campaign and view other characters in the campaign.
  • View character sheet in at-table-helpful form.
  • Mobile

What am I missing?

7 minutes ago, dlw32 said:

printable to pdf?

I can't think of anything else, but I also don't have the book yet, there may be some edge-case in there...

Printable to PDF is something I'd be excited to do. I anticipate many edge cases, but I think if I have the technology for the ones listed, I can add in new ones (like custom Archetype special abilities, etc.).

2 minutes ago, themensch said:

Is the intention for this tool to be the character sheet in play, or a record that's printed/etc for play?  

Yes.

Just now, themensch said:

This is probably a weird request but some sort of markdown/json/yaml export would be awesome.  I guess we could use xml too, but we might as well travel back in time then.  

Very doable (I'd say "easily doable" but that'd be hubristic). I'll add it to my feature list.

Just now, CitizenKeen said:

Yes.

Very doable (I'd say "easily doable" but that'd be hubristic). I'll add it to my feature list.

For the first yes, I'd like to request nice little checkboxes wherever applicable.  Limited Ammo, yadda yadda.  Having them in the online and offline version would be awesome but that makes your job harder I think.

For the latter, an import/export function that could then be tied to version control would be stellar.  Heck, maybe utilizing a github api it could be integrated?  A boon to github-flavored markdown for exports is that once loaded into github, it could be used as a play record.  But I'm getting ahead of myself here.  

2 minutes ago, themensch said:

For the first yes, I'd like to request nice little checkboxes wherever applicable.  Limited Ammo, yadda yadda.  Having them in the online and offline version would be awesome but that makes your job harder I think.

For the latter, an import/export function that could then be tied to version control would be stellar.  Heck, maybe utilizing a github api it could be integrated?  A boon to github-flavored markdown for exports is that once loaded into github, it could be used as a play record.  But I'm getting ahead of myself here.  

Empty boxes for things is something I'm thinking about. I don't have gear completely fleshed out, but yes, having things be tied in to gear customization is planned.

As for the latter... Whoa there. Import is a lot further away from export. But yeah, I plan to keep working on it as long as I'm playing Genesys, and as soon as I hit version 1 / stop playing Genesys, it'll be open source.

Just now, CitizenKeen said:

Empty boxes for things is something I'm thinking about. I don't have gear completely fleshed out, but yes, having things be tied in to gear customization is planned.

As for the latter... Whoa there. Import is a lot further away from export. But yeah, I plan to keep working on it as long as I'm playing Genesys, and as soon as I hit version 1 / stop playing Genesys, it'll be open source.

I hear that man, I'm just spitballin' here with ideas I've been churning around in my brain without really acting upon them.   

1 hour ago, CitizenKeen said:

What am I missing?

OggDude's Edge of the Empire character generator already exists, I would think it would be easily adaptable to Genesys.  You might reach out to him about it.  Since there isn't a Star Wars licensing issue you might even get official sanction...

4 minutes ago, whafrog said:

OggDude's Edge of the Empire character generator already exists, I would think it would be easily adaptable to Genesys.  You might reach out to him about it.  Since there isn't a Star Wars licensing issue you might even get official sanction...

I've looked at it, briefly. It's desktop only, which is a deal breaker for me. I'd like a centralized option, so that I can log in from work or a friend's computer, make updates to my character right before the game, and then view my character on my phone.

I really believe it’d be best to get a bunch of us working together on an open source app.  

Better chance of it being finished, we can spend time on it as we are able and get all range of talents.  I’m thinking React JS front end on a Postgres DB.  

It would be important we allow curated content, but on an opt-in basis.  Maybe users can import custom modules from their PC, or choose from a “workshop.”  Also the core content is likely behind a copyright.  I’d love to get this popular enough that Fantasy Flight would be willing to offer an official “core” module (probably at a cost).  Otherwise we’d  need to enforce the workshop to not contain core content, lest we face copyright issues.  

Any other thoughts?  I’d really like to see this come to life and am willing to make it happen... and believe it can, if we work together.  If people are down, I can generate the boilerplate and put it on a repo. 

Didn't read all suggestions.

No idea how much work it requires, but, as a QoL feature...

Try to prevent drop-down menus for values.

Especially if you plan to use that sheet to play with.

It's so tedious to scroll through them to reach your new health value after being shot.

Plus and Minus fields are nice, or simply double-tap and input the new value directly.

Just my two creds.

Not yet! I'm hoping to have it in testing (with strangers) before Genesys actually launches.

And while I'm tackling this because I want to teach myself some project management / architecture habits, and as such probably won't be looking for non-CSS collaborators for a while (never say never), I'll be putting the code out as open source when I'm not embarrassed by it, if only because passion projects like this tend to die and I'd hate to force someone to rehash my work a year from now when I've moved on to Fatesplosion: The Next Generation.

39 minutes ago, CitizenKeen said:

Happy to answer any questions, though that one is pretty broad. "A character generator app" and "to learn" would be what I'm trying to accomplish.

I guess I should have specified that I was wondering what project management and architecture habits you were trying to acquire, but I agree that's pretty broad.   

Having a species/archetype creation tool baked in would be great.  From what I've heard the guidelines on that are mostly pretty tight, so you could have a lot of auto-calculated stuff, with options to manually input any special abilities and assign them an XP cost.