power500500

Anatomy of a Wastelander (new update)

I'm a little disappointed that the special stats will be random. I was hoping we could pick them ourselves. Really wanted to play a charismatic ghoul.

Guess I could "cheat" sometime in solo to try it out so it's not a big deal.

18 minutes ago, TechnoGolem said:

I'm a little disappointed that the special stats will be random. I was hoping we could pick them ourselves. Really wanted to play a charismatic ghoul.

Yeah, I admit there a few quirky things about this game that kind of bum me out (that being one) but I think once I get the components in my hands and see everything in front of me I’ll be immaersed in a second. Pop some music from the games in and I’ll be in the Wasteland! Still excited!

5 hours ago, TechnoGolem said:

One of the special stats is determined by the character you're playing and the other one is random, not both.

The random factor is probably a necessity to keep things interesting and force different play styles.  There are likely some really choice combinations out there where starting off with just the right two stats with the right character gives you a little bit too much of an edge in the early game.  By randomizing your starting stat along with your stats as you level up, it makes sure you can't min/max too much.

Yeah, I wish it was kind of like Runebound’s skill cards where you draw three (maybe two for Fallout) and choose one to adopt to your character. That would at least give you a LITTLE control about your play style. But I assume FFG knows what they’re doing.

13 minutes ago, mwmcintyre said:

That's what happens when you level up. You draw two and either choose one you don't already have or you can choose a perk if you already have at least one of them.

Oh yeah! Sorry, had forgotten that point. Well I suppose I feel a little better now! My overall excitement is intense! I need it!

1 hour ago, mwmcintyre said:

That's what happens when you level up. You draw two and either choose one you don't already have or you can choose a perk if you already have at least one of them.

The perk thing is interesting.  It's a pretty tactical choice.  Choosing a SPECIAL stat makes your character better at something.  They get rerolls, or are better at combat, or whatever.  But for each SPECIAL you add to your character, it takes longer to level up again.  Taking a perk doesn't increase the leveling time, but also only gives you a one time ability you can deploy at some opportune moment.  It should be interesting to see how that plays out.

18 hours ago, mwmcintyre said:

One of the special stats is determined by the character you're playing and the other one is random, not both.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I know that one of the starting stats are determined by character. But I just find this a little off putting. The video games allow you a lot of customization from the start. This just feels very limiting. A character may not start with a stat I'd like them to have while all the rest depend on luck.

Want to try a scientist super mutant? Better hope you get lucky otherwise the game could be over before you ever get to play that character.

11 hours ago, TechnoGolem said:

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I know that one of the starting stats are determined by character. But I just find this a little off putting. The video games allow you a lot of customization from the start. This just feels very limiting. A character may not start with a stat I'd like them to have while all the rest depend on luck.

Want to try a scientist super mutant? Better hope you get lucky otherwise the game could be over before you ever get to play that character.

As I said before, I think this is a necessity.  Otherwise you'd just min/max your character every time.

"Vault dweller excels with I, A, L, while the BOS does better if you get S, E, and A." 

The random factor of it will make sure that you are less likely to repeat the same character build every time you play.  End up with a charismatic intelligent BOS character, well you're playing a scribe that got his hands on some power armor.

Ultimately though, I don't think it's going to be as restrictive as you think.  Think of the example I laid out above.  BOS wanting S, E, and A.  You start with 1 of those (I assume the BOS would start with one of those anyways), and you get one other at random.  There is a fair chance it will be one that you want.  Each time you level up, you get 2 special stats to choose from.  So really, it's going to be fairly common to get the build you want relatively quickly.

And of course if nothing else, you can just house rule that you get to pick whatever you want at all times.  Although I typically recommend people play the written rules at least once.

On 11/15/2017 at 9:23 AM, kmanweiss said:

The random factor is probably a necessity to keep things interesting and force different play styles.  There are likely some really choice combinations out there where starting off with just the right two stats with the right character gives you a little bit too much of an edge in the early game.  By randomizing your starting stat along with your stats as you level up, it makes sure you can't min/max too much.

The article seems to stress it is important to be an all "rounder" with regards to Special.

Absolutely it's important.  Each of the stats provides benefits.  Some provide rerolls for offense or defense.  Others provide benefits to various weapons or armor.  I'd hope that some provide other non-combat related benefits.

However, there could be some that create a bit of an overpowered starting set.  Take the fallout video games.  Having high combat and lockpicking skills early on is a powerful combination.  Where as high charisma and communication skills isn't as powerful.  A high barter skill can be useful, but if you have no small arms skills, it won't matter how cheap the pistol you can't use was.  Where as high small arms skill with the pistol will allow you to kill more things, level up faster, and stay alive longer.

The same could be true in this game.