Sign in to follow this  
Trialus

Big news?

1 minute ago, RegisF said:

Caleb explained that there will be no more combat phases, no resource matches and some cards effects will be simplify (i.e sneak attack).

It looks like a lame heartstone or pathfinder game.

Resource match still exists, but it works differently.

1 minute ago, RegisF said:

So how does it work ?

Each card has a level (1, 2 or 3 presumably) and you can only include a level 1 leadership card in your deck if you have at least 1 leadership hero.  If you want to include a level 2 card, you need at least 2 leadership heroes.  Once you start playing, though, you can apparently pay for cards from whichever resources you have available.

Edited by PachiLOTR

So the big announcement for LotR LCG is that there is a new game set in middle earth that allows FFG to reuse their art assets, but is otherwise essentially a new game...? Color me disappointed. Big FFG news is not the same as big news for LotR LCG. Now I'm glad that there isn't a fellowship event nearby - I don't feel like playing at the moment. Sigh.

Edited by Mauziz

Ok. I watched it. Not much was said or shown, so my thoughts gonna be few as well.

First: Current visuals look awful, I sincerely hope they do something with it before the release, as I've already said, aesthetic is a very important part of any card game, and current aesthetic of the game is severly lacking.

As for change in the resource system, I think it is interesting, and not particularly good or bad. It presents with more deckbuilding freedom and opportunities, while also reducing the need to fiddle with the resources. Some people will like it, some people might hate it. I can see the good and interesting in both of them.

The system where enemies and characters damage each other simultaneously I am not sure about, because I currently don't know how this gonna work exactly. There is many different ways this can be done.

Random - I am always against random. Caleb announced that Sneak Attack now summons a random ally instead of somebody from your hand. I don't like it. But then again, this is a co-op card game, so random might be not that severe here.

Encounter deck being an acutal AI controlled player with options and resource I consider a strong GOOD change for one simple reason - how many times you had to forfiet the game turn 1? Exactly, game has no way of controlling the high roll unwinnable turn 1 situations. But with this change, encounter deck might now play in a growing curve, achieving what we have always wanted - easier start, tougher mid to endgame.

Economy model - digital LCG is good. Pay for what you want, not for bunch of random stuff. Nuff said.

Edited by John Constantine

Well, if you take out all the shuffling, setupping, and all other manual labor you need to perform - game of LotR LCG can indeed be very quick, especially when you don't ponder on each decision. If you ponder, however, even digital game can take ages. For example, each Mansions of Madness 2 scenario has estimated playtime, and me and my playgroup always exceed it at least 2 times. Human factor.

If you take this card game and remove the need to control the encounter deck or pause every 10 seconds to scan all the cards for possible triggers, it would naturally be a lot shorter.

But beyond that it looks like they've stripped most of the phases out of the game as well, with just two phases, "Planning" and "Adventure". Not sure how I feel about that but I will reserve judgement until I get to play. The two games might end up fulfilling different gaming needs for me, especially if this eventually comes to mobile.

There are a lot more information now, and I am very concerned with the concept of "favor" cards:

The Lord of the Rings: Living Card Game also introduces Favor cards, powerful expendable cards that “burn” or disappear forever after a single use. After a player resolves their initial mulligan, they’ll receive a prompt asking if they want to use one of their Favor cards during that Quest. If so, that card will be added to their hand. Favor cards generally provide some kind of advantage that the players can’t get elsewhere—it’s a way to tip the scales against Sauron.

Selling power, or in other words, "pay to win" is never, never a good decision, even in a co-op/solo game.

24 minutes ago, Bullroarer Took said:

Caleb talked as if the games last 5 minutes.  Not sure how I feel about that.

Caleb, via the announcement article, https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/12/9/new-journeys-in-middle-earth/:

The translation from physical to digital also gave us the unique opportunity to evaluate which game elements were essential to the experience, and which ones could be trimmed in order to create a game that can be played in easily digestible 10-20 minute play-sessions.

Wow, this "big news" means nothing to me -- my wallet stays happy. Would be very bummed if new cycle hadn't just been announced.

Though I find it most odd that the app has the same title as the physical game, when they are obviously so different. That's unnecessarily confusing for newbies to either game.

3 hours ago, John Constantine said:

There are a lot more information now, and I am very concerned with the concept of "favor" cards:

The Lord of the Rings: Living Card Game also introduces Favor cards, powerful expendable cards that “burn” or disappear forever after a single use. After a player resolves their initial mulligan, they’ll receive a prompt asking if they want to use one of their Favor cards during that Quest. If so, that card will be added to their hand. Favor cards generally provide some kind of advantage that the players can’t get elsewhere—it’s a way to tip the scales against Sauron.

Selling power, or in other words, "pay to win" is never, never a good decision, even in a co-op/solo game.

I agree 100%. This is a huge red flag. They could easily release quests that are nearly impossible to beat without using the favor cards.

EDIT: Here's the article the initial quote was taken from

Edited by Bunston

7 hours ago, John Constantine said:

Ok. I watched it. Not much was said or shown, so my thoughts gonna be few as well.

First: Current visuals look awful, I sincerely hope they do something with it before the release, as I've already said, aesthetic is a very important part of any card game, and current aesthetic of the game is severly lacking.

As for change in the resource system, I think it is interesting, and not particularly good or bad. It presents with more deckbuilding freedom and opportunities, while also reducing the need to fiddle with the resources. Some people will like it, some people might hate it. I can see the good and interesting in both of them.

The system where enemies and characters damage each other simultaneously I am not sure about, because I currently don't know how this gonna work exactly. There is many different ways this can be done.

Random - I am always against random. Caleb announced that Sneak Attack now summons a random ally instead of somebody from your hand. I don't like it. But then again, this is a co-op card game, so random might be not that severe here.

Encounter deck being an acutal AI controlled player with options and resource I consider a strong GOOD change for one simple reason - how many times you had to forfiet the game turn 1? Exactly, game has no way of controlling the high roll unwinnable turn 1 situations. But with this change, encounter deck might now play in a growing curve, achieving what we have always wanted - easier start, tougher mid to endgame.

Economy model - digital LCG is good. Pay for what you want, not for bunch of random stuff. Nuff said.

It took a moment, but the big disappointement, that it's not "just" a digital version of the game is gone now (really would have loved an "offical OCTGN Version" with less "rough edges"). It just reads like a different game that I can look forward to and hope ends up great. 

Even though I hope for the best, there are more negative points for me at the moment than positive:

1. As John said, the screenshots are just ugly. Really the first thing that came thorugh my mind was "urgh". From the card layouts over the buttons to the backround, everything looks "cheap", like it was done in a hurry. Even the card artworks somehow look bad, even though they are the same as the physical version... There are so many great location artworks and it looks that they are substituted by at least second class 3D animations. I could go on, but this really has to improve or it will be hard to enjoy. Hopeully it looks better in motion.

2. Everything about the gameplay has to wait until there is at least a recorded match to see the changes in action. 

3. Randomness. Oh god why. The change to sneak attack (now simply summoning ANY random ally) doesn't feel good to me. I play Hearthstone and can live with the use of randomness there. But it was there all along. I know the lotr LCG works wihout extra randomness and now it gets added. I know the ups and downs of random effects and see why they can be fun, but I will always prefer to have as less as possible. 
Also the theme of giving you the feeling of laying out a trap for the opponent is gone and now it's just this "Deus ex machine" feeling, that you know that "Someone" will appear to hopefully save the day.
Adding to this: Sneak attack havin this new effect means it can't have it's old one. Meaning the effect will be completely gone, because why create a new card for an existing effect, when you can just use the ols one. I fear this could be a sign of reduced interaction via events during the "adventuring" phase, focusing on "minion smashing" :S 

4. AI. A double edged sword. If the AI is weak the game will crash and burn. Noone wants to play against a dumb AI. But as they say that threat is still in the game I think this will "somehow" influence which cards the AI can play agains you making it relative for it to play the "strongest cards". Silly combat decisions will be a blowout too. Tasking an AI with all the decisions we did outselfs for so many years is dangerous an for me it was a very fun part "in multiplayer" to figure out how to distribute the enemies. Sad to see this go :(

5. This being a f2p-game is no surprise and I can live with it, as there enough ways to keep the game accessable without money, while offering incentive to invest some, if you can afford it. Obviously we have to wait for the prices.

6. But now the most important point for me: Caleb works on the game. No matter when I see or hear something from him, he always seems so full of passion for the game and Lotr in general and I can't imagine him advising or implementing (not sure how big his role in the development of the digital version is) a change he doesn't feel good about. So even with all the questionsmarks above, I still have hope that the final product will be great once I get to play it.

Yeah, I mentioned randomness in my prev post, but now I want to pay a little bit more attention to it.

As someone who spent loads of free time doing custom cards and reworks for LotR LCG, LotR LCG-related modifications (Innistrad MTG, Call of Cthulhu before Arkham LCG was announced), I simply don't understand Caleb's excitement with his ability to do random effect thanks to the digitalness of the game. I mean, digitalness of the game allows for TONS of cool stuff to be done, not just random... but to take a perfectly fine and iconic original card that had a cool effect that involved deckbuilding (ok, who am I kidding, it involved including neutral Gandalf into your deck, but still), and just water it down to a button with "random" on it? That seems like a very poor use of digital potential to me. If digital Sneak Attack stays that way, then I predict that people will stop using it as soon as card pool grows and decks can be filled with cards that player can predict and control. Imagine if they change Gandalf from choose to random? Man, this is not how use the random effect to the game's advantage.

16 minutes ago, dalestephenson said:

If the phases have been simplified out of existence, Sneak Attack with a chosen ally would be much more powerful than it is in the real game, where the sneak contribution is limited to one phase.

Yes, that Keen-eyed Took will be a huge contributor throughout the entire adventure phase.

Sneak Attack is most commonly used with core Gandalf, and in a simplified no-phase game a sneaked core Gandalf is exactly as much good as a full-price Gandalf, with the bonus that he stays in your hand at the end of the turn.  Sneak Attack is already a leadership staple, making it dramatically better by removing its one restriction (single phase) would indeed be overpowered.

So instead it becomes pot-luck like Imrahil.  You might get Gandalf, but you also might get Keen-eyed Took.  It's not our sneak attack, but it may end up being a Really Useful Card all the same.

He isn't unless you bring readying effects. On my dare I say rich digital card gaming experience, cards with uncontrollable unrestricted random never become staples, and are meme-tier at best. Which this one will end up as, unless changed.

Edited by John Constantine