Sign in to follow this  
Trialus

Big news?

I think my good friend Valiko is right. As much as that bogs me down, it has to be a digital version.

I do hope that they make the app/soft support the physical card game too. You could play with your actual cards while the app would manage the campaign aspects, with, YAY!!!, a generic campaign mode.

That campaign mode could very well give you some kind of "money/credits" to "buy" equipment, new allies, etc. I don't think It would be that hard to balance with a companion app, and other 7 years, I've seen so many attempts at doing that kind of campaign mode. Heck, all those progression modes are nearly that, aren't they? You could auto-win some cards as you progress, and spend credits/experience/whatever to get the "most powerful ones".

What always dissuaded me from doing a progression-style thing (and that is why we opted to make our own campaign mode with friends) is that the physical card pool management is not as easy IRL as playing on OCTGN. An app would help that. Remember which cards you purchased and which you did not, etc.

EDIT: also European readers, the twitch of FFG is announced 11AM CT, that's 6 PM on the continent and 5 PM in the UK.

Edited by banania

I can't refute the logic of this idea, but am pretty sure that I would still just stick to my physical cards.  Wouldn't really be psyched to put any money into a digital version after the hundreds of dollars I've invested in the physical cards.  Not to mention the whole "I play card games when i don't want to play video games" piece. 

If true, I'm sure there is a way to do it that draws in new players and pleases established players as well without resorting to the slimy practices that have been plagueing video games of late, but don't know if it'll be for me.  

Edit after seeing a few of the other recent posts made while I typed...some sort of companion app/campaign mode would be really cool.  Like that much better than a straight digital version of LOTR LCG.

Edited by Trialus

Digital card games usually cost far less than physical ones, so it is not like you'll need to spend the same amout of money to play digital.

As a person with very little time due to day job, the things about digital card game that I can appreciate is full automation and quickness of the tideous irl activities I must perform, like if I want to change my deck, I'll need to sit swapping cards for some time. And I can't have several decks that share same card available at the same time irl, I can in digital card game. Shuffling: quality skyrockets, time drops to 0. As an additional benefit - I would be able to play with people who live away. 

Don't kid yourself or anybody else here, all that digital version brings is benefits, and it trumps any companion app possible, because companion app would be just one additional tideous process to perform while playing irl.

Eh, I hope it isn't a digital version. I definitely won't be investing the time and money into a digital version when I've already purchased everything physically. Also, playing with physical cards with real friends is much more appealing to me than pairing up with people I don't know online.

34 minutes ago, GravyK said:

Eh, I hope it isn't a digital version. I definitely won't be investing the time and money into a digital version when I've already purchased everything physically. Also, playing with physical cards with real friends is much more appealing to me than pairing up with people I don't know online.

I would like a digital version very much. I often play solo and a digital version is great for that! Plus: Deck building is much easier. But I agree cards win out easily once you play with  friends.

Also: Don't all FFG Products have this little white square with a proof of purchase code? So they could offer a way to transfer your physical collection to a digital.

1 hour ago, GravyK said:

So, what are you hoping for then? We already got new cycle announced. And, while we're at it, what is stopping ya from pairing up online with real friends? xD

I don't have any expectations for the announcement. If the game died after the next cycle I'd still be happy as I find most of the quests to have high replayability. Also there are plenty of player cards that I haven't had a chance to use yet. Nothing is stopping me from pairing online with real friends, I just find it less fun than hanging out in person.

I have nothing against a digital version if it comes out - it's just not going to be for me.

Yep...I don't deny that there would be lofs of upsides to a digital version, just not sure it would be for me.  I just really enjoy the physical experience and am a bit leary of how it would be monetized.... Of course, I've  been wrong before, so who knows? It could be a digital version and I could end up loving it.

Wah ... Second big disappointment in few weeks ... Yeah i prefer to forgot this announcement ! Yesterday annoucement was a big news ... Now we have explanation for delay ... So disappointed ...

Doing video games is not the same thing as board games. FFG, you're not in the same league, you can't expect fight against Blizzard, Bethesda or Obsidian

By the way, the design look a bit ugly and the gameplay offers nothing for more than others virtuals card games.

Just now, RegisF said:

Doing video games is not the same thing as board games. FFG, you're not in the same league, you can't expect fight against Blizzard, Bethesda or Obsidian

By the way, the design look a bit ugly and the gameplay offers nothing for more than others virtuals card games.

Man, where are you people watching the gameplay?

Just now, John Constantine said:

Man, where are you people watching the gameplay?

Caleb explained that there will be no more combat phases, no resource matches and some cards effects will be simplify (i.e sneak attack).

It looks like a lame heartstone or pathfinder game.