Sign in to follow this  
Trialus

Big news?

I'd love it if they'd announce a full-fledged computer version. 

Of course, that's not really their "thing", but a computer version would address the main challenges for those of us who are collecting the cards without actually playing the game:

1) it would know all the rules and prevent us from breaking them

2) it would save our state within a game, so that we can easily handle interruptions

3) we could play the game anywhere that we bring that computer/device  (no table needed)

4) it would track our progress through the scenarios

5) it could provide analytics and possibly even card recommendations

If I recall, one of the perceived "hurdles" for making a computer version of LotR LCG was licensing, right? 

Could the stepping down of Christopher Tolkien have made licensing easier, and therefore made a computer version more economically feasible?

Or... if it's not a computer version that's announced, do you think it will be Silmarillion content?  That would be a bit of a disappointment IMO.  Imagine slogging through the entire History of Middle Earth....  Scenario after scenario after scenario.... 

Edited by tripecac

An App based Campaign-Mode for the cardgame would be awesome. I really like how the did it with Descent. For me it would be a hughe disappointment if they just do a computer-version of the game. I want new geek-stuff for playing with my mades and wife. Something to keep the game alive in my rounds.

Anybody thought about a versus mode or a real competitive mode ? This could legitimate FAQ 1.9 and the fact that Caleb talked about "metagame".

Edited by RegisF

4 hours ago, RegisF said:

Anybody thought about a versus mode or a real competitive mode ? This could legitimate FAQ 1.9 and the fact that Caleb talked about "metagame".

That's been bandied about.  I would love to have that, but I fear we are only going to get one or the other.  So I would like to keep the co-op for a while longer.

I have been thinking for a while now that it seems like they are waiting for the big news until the current cycle is all released - if that is true, it might well be something that will put some sort of end to the current version of the game. In other words, that will be some new beginning of some sort...

I really cannot imagine that it is "just" a new cycle being announced. Then, there would have been no reason to wait so long with the announcement

7 hours ago, ParinorB said:

I have been thinking for a while now that it seems like they are waiting for the big news until the current cycle is all released - if that is true, it might well be something that will put some sort of end to the current version of the game. In other words, that will be some new beginning of some sort...

I really cannot imagine that it is "just" a new cycle being announced. Then, there would have been no reason to wait so long with the announcement

That's what I'm expecting as well. 

13 minutes ago, TwiceBornh said:

That's what I'm expecting as well. 

Me too, though I fervently dream of an app version of the game (along the lines of the Pathfinder card game). An app version would devour my waking hours.

Edited by Brownmantle
Punctuation

2 hours ago, John Constantine said:

Man the release rate of that Legend of the Five Rings game is insane.

Yeah, slowly developing card pools were a common complaint from Thrones and other games so FFG took the opportunity to try to do something about it. They did it for Arkham as well by making the first non-core product an expansion (which would have been my preferred solution for L5R).

Hmm - I guess I might have been wrong about the "waiting until everything is released?

From Beorn's website " We know that there will be a “big announcement” from FFG about the game on Saturday, and we all wait with bated breathe to see what the future holds."

I guess I am not sure where this info comes from but that would be cool...

19 hours ago, John Constantine said:

Man the release rate of that Legend of the Five Rings game is insane.

18 hours ago, Bullroarer Took said:

Yes.  Yes indeed.  Really trying to get that meta going.

Hmm. I do not like this attempt to sell games. For me, it feels like they published a beta version of the game for the full price and then you have to purchase even more content to get it running.

Ok, with a LCG or TCG this _is_ the concept. But when having a "core game" then - ihmo - it should run on its own. And they make some greater pause between the base game and each cycle...

Instead, they should've focused on these other brands of theirs. :) rant over. ;)

6 hours ago, ParinorB said:

Hmm - I guess I might have been wrong about the "waiting until everything is released?

From Beorn's website " We know that there will be a “big announcement” from FFG about the game on Saturday, and we all wait with bated breathe to see what the future holds."

I guess I am not sure where this info comes from but that would be cool...

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/11/27/confront-the-dark-lord/

ffg article for fellowship events.  There's mention of an announcement exclusive to LoTR at FFG event.

1 hour ago, Ywingscum said:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/11/27/confront-the-dark-lord/

ffg article for fellowship events.  There's mention of an announcement exclusive to LoTR at FFG event.

The interesting thing though is that in that article it actually says "The Lord of the Rings announcement!"  It doesn't actually have 'The Card Game'. That could be an oversight or it could mean something besides the card game is going to be introduced. I think it would be interesting to see a reboot of Middle-Earth Quest done like Mansions of Madness with a program to run the narrative and encounters.

28 minutes ago, Stalkingwolf said:

The interesting thing though is that in that article it actually says "The Lord of the Rings announcement!"  It doesn't actually have 'The Card Game'. That could be an oversight or it could mean something besides the card game is going to be introduced. I think it would be interesting to see a reboot of Middle-Earth Quest done like Mansions of Madness with a program to run the narrative and encounters.

Except at the bottom of the article it says

And after you join the massed battles against the Dark Lord, you can look forward to more exciting news about The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. Hear it live during the Fellowship Event at the Fantasy Flight Games Center, or if you can't make it, stay tuned to our website for more information!

3 hours ago, Seastan said:

Except at the bottom of the article it says

Am I blind or did they edit the article before I had a chance to read it? I see no mention of this paragraph you copied. I hope theirs still another announcement tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, GrandSpleen said:

It's still there, hasn't been edited.  It's the final paragraph of the article.  Did you click on the wrong article maybe?  It's this one: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/11/27/confront-the-dark-lord/

Ohhh - I thought the paragraph in question was supposedly at the end of the Wilds of Rhovanion article. Thanks.

The more I think about this "big announcement" the more I m pretty sure it will be a digital version of LOTR LCG.

I don't know if it s the first time, but the use of Twitch for broadcasting the announce isn t neutral. A digital platform for a digital version makes some sense.

Lastly, I don 't  know if anyone reads this RPS article, but the last paragraph ends to convince me.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/11/03/fantasy-flight-digital-interview/

RPS: When can we expect to see the first game come out of the new studio?

Tim: Very soon, actually. We will make an announcement before the end of the year as to our first game and it will be released early in 2018.

It s perfectly fitting ??

I hope there will be new contents , for instance a campaign mode for every cycle. ? Or new version of old cards, for example Spirit Pippin, or Bilbo Hero...

Edited by Valiko33