Sign in to follow this  
Trialus

Big news?

With Caleb's pre-announcement about some upcoming big news what do folks think it is? I think next cycle is most likely, but what are the other realistic possibilities?  

-Revised Core (like Netrunner recently got)

-2nd edition (like GoT)

-Some kind of new licensing agreement that allows them access to other periods (.e. First Age)

I can't really think of any other possibilities that seem likely.....any other ideas?

10 minutes ago, dalestephenson said:

An outside possibility would be a "campaign mode" providing boons/burdens for past cycles.

...but that would be even cooler!

Edit:. Though after thinking about more, that seems like the kind of thing that would be done to kinda put a bow on the whole line once new content was done being created. 

Edited by Trialus

As I say on the other topics:

It could be another product to fill the space of the deluxe, thing that happens outside the cycle. It could be idea about organized play (either new specific content, rules to replace face the shadow or something totally different).

But I'm pretty confident that is about the next cycle.

As long as we're wildly speculating, the new FFG Interactive studio is announcing its first game "before the end of the year" according to its studio head. (See interview on Rock Paper Shotgun.) Not betting my house on it being LOTR, but I guess it's an outside possibility that the timing isn't coincidental...

FFG has been doing a lot of unprecedented things with their card games lately:

1) Netrunner: revised core with rotation
2) Destiny: overhaul of their organized play
3) Akham Horror: releasing alternative art cards in novellas
4) Destiny: a willingness to errata the cost of cards and change fundamental game rules
5) L5R: releasing an entire cycle in six weeks

It just makes sense that they would do something to similar to revitalize LotR. Now, I don't mean v2.0. But, recent events would lead me to believe it's not just an announcement for a new cycle coming in December.

Saw a news story today that Christopher Tolkien has resigned as Tolkien Estate Director (happened back in August, but the news just broke today, or at least I'm only just seeing it).

This would open up negotiations for licensing of properties that he has long protected, like The Silmarillion.

It's already resulted in a new Middle-Earth TV series on Amazon.

So.... about that announcement?

I don't think you would wrap up V1 of your game by dropping a bombshell of an FAQ on it and then walking away. You only do something that has this much potential to be unpopular if you are planning to keep developing for it, and you felt it was necessary to keep your design space open. 

36 minutes ago, Authraw said:

I don't think you would wrap up V1 of your game by dropping a bombshell of an FAQ on it and then walking away. You only do something that has this much potential to be unpopular if you are planning to keep developing for it, and you felt it was necessary to keep your design space open. 

Wait till you see that Boromir/Silmaril combo!