Sign in to follow this  
SlaveofChrist

Maul & Expertise

Hi Folks! Hope all is well ^_^.

I've been toying with some new builds for the Auzituck Gunship and I've been trying to deal with the no target lock deficit. Other than adding a Targeting Computer I've been thinking about these two upgrades:

swx72-maul.pnglatest?cb=20170517075754

So...they both start off the same "When attacking, if you are not stressed, you may..." I am wondering if I can legally use both together, i.e. have Maul reroll dice while still being able to change focus results with Expertise. I'm not sure on the whole timing thing, if this is legit or not - I really don't know, just wanted to get the communities thoughts on this possibility, thanks :)!

Maul/ezra or inspiring recruit  would be a solid choice there.

The only other issue i see, is that rebel players are likely going to jump on the ap5/ezra stressbug (at least on release) as it's going to be a strong counter to a lot of the new waves of actionless builds with their "unless you are stressed" caveats

Maul + Expertise is spending 7 points to both modify your attack dice and trigger Ezra's pilot ability. Rage + Inspiring Recruit is 2 points and also lets you modify your attack dice fully and trigger Ezra's pilot ability.

Maul's ability is cool. Ezra's pilot ability is cool. I think you're trying too hard to make them work together. With Ezra at Pilot Skill 4, you really want to start the combat round stressed in order to get the best utility out of his pilot ability. Any PS5 or higher list has a good chance of taking Ezra out before he gets the chance to attack, trigger Maul, and get stressed to activate his ability. Solely based on his pilot ability any combination of cards that require him to be unstressed to trigger them would be an unfitting choice.

Ultimately, at 7 squad points, being forced into triggering Expertise and then Maul is not going to always be beneficial. If you reroll with Maul and get focus results you're stuck with them, and that kills the effectiveness of the squad points being spent in this situation...especially when you can do a much more beneficial combo for the aforementioned 2 squad points.

I put Maul and Ezra crew on my expertise Lowhhrick.  Roll the dice, average result is one hit, one blank, and one focus results (assuming not at range one giving a fourth die), then use expertise on the focus, then use maul to reroll the single blank, this turns on Ezra crew so you have a 75% chance of getting either a hit or a crit from the reroll.  Works pretty good for me.

On 11/13/2017 at 11:20 PM, DR4CO said:

You can't Maul into Expertise, no, as from the moment you use Maul you'll be stressed which will turn Expertise off by the time you get to resolving it. You could use Expertise first, then Maul, but that seems rather inefficient.

Could you use expertise and then Maul to refill blanks? You would not be able to expertise the rerolled Maul result but it will give you a chance to roll a hit or crit. 

21 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Maul Ezra AND Expertise is definitely excessive.

This is probably true but it fits in nicely next to my Engine Upgrade Rey and the combo hits like a truck.