Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, PigsAreOurEquals said:

Hmm, let's wait and see. Especially after the hobbit movies my initial reaction is skepticism to any adaptation of Tolkien's work. This game has been a wonderful exception because they work hard to stay consistent with the original works.

Same for me. I hope that this is good, but I am expecting it to be bad. Thank goodness it's not the Silmarillion though. I'm very doubtful that could ever be any good, except as the book. But I'm a sceptic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Seastan said:

It's noteworthy that the TV series will be set in the time period between the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings, just like our beloved game. I don't see how this can be anything but good news for the longevity of the LotR LCG.

I'm excited.

Me too!  While there certainly is the potential for it to be a stinker, I am hopeful that they can find a way to be somewhat cosistent with the lore and tone of the books, but still have enough modern sensibilities (action and drama) to appeal to a large  enough audience for it to be successful.  A fine line to walk for sure....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll need Peter Jackson, Andy Serkis, Alan Lee, and John Howe (at minimum) to be involved and then I can get really excited. I’d also prefer no cameos from other Hobbit/LOTR actors, because I think this would work better not as “universe” kind of thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm encouraged that Bezos wanted this property.  I hope that means he will find the right people, but we'll see.

In the coming months we're going to start hearing lots of tidbits.  Location, director, actors and actresses etc.. Can we keep it all here please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like if they have the full rights they really should make LOTR/Hobbit cast the central characters. Why ever not? We want to see the familiar and important characters. I would be pretty unhappy if one of the main story lines doesn't feature young Aragorn's enormous, 67-year character arc (this would seem like the most obvious choice for a TV series). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2017 at 9:57 AM, Hawkman2000 said:

I’ll need Peter Jackson, Andy Serkis, Alan Lee, and John Howe (at minimum) to be involved and then I can get really excited. 

Disagree. I love the LOTR movies (though I probably will never watch the hobbit films again), but I like a more “realistic”, dark age aesthetic. Cf The One Ring rpg. 

Howe and Lee’s art is good, but I hope to see something different and fresh on this series. The Vikings show could be a good reference — stylish but period appropriate costumes with modern sensibilities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:43 PM, Otherworlder said:

I feel like if they have the full rights they really should make LOTR/Hobbit cast the central characters. Why ever not? We want to see the familiar and important characters. I would be pretty unhappy if one of the main story lines doesn't feature young Aragorn's enormous, 67-year character arc (this would seem like the most obvious choice for a TV series). 

I can think of several stories I'd like to see, even just of what we know took place in that time period:

-Aragorn's travels abroad

-Balin's attempt to retake Moria

-Saruman's forays into Ring-making

-Beorn becoming a great leader of the woodmen along the Anduin

...and that's not even getting into brand new tales they could tell!

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 3:46 AM, PigsAreOurEquals said:

Hmm, let's wait and see. Especially after the hobbit movies my initial reaction is skepticism to any adaptation of Tolkien's work. This game has been a wonderful exception because they work hard to stay consistent with the original works.

If you're interested in computer games at all, I'd recommend Lord of the Rings Online.  They do a pretty good job of expanding on the goings-on during LotR while digging through the text to try to be as true as they can (most of the deviations tend to be ones of scale, so that it doesn't literally take two weeks to get to Rivendell, or ones for dramatic effect, such as making the Stone of Erech a bit larger so that it looks more impressive).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JJ48 said:

If you're interested in computer games at all, I'd recommend Lord of the Rings Online.  They do a pretty good job of expanding on the goings-on during LotR while digging through the text to try to be as true as they can (most of the deviations tend to be ones of scale, so that it doesn't literally take two weeks to get to Rivendell, or ones for dramatic effect, such as making the Stone of Erech a bit larger so that it looks more impressive).

@JJ48: Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately with work and kids at the home time for computer gaming is a remote possibility at best.

Edited by PigsAreOurEquals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, JJ48 said:

If you're interested in computer games at all, I'd recommend Lord of the Rings Online.  They do a pretty good job of expanding on the goings-on during LotR while digging through the text to try to be as true as they can (most of the deviations tend to be ones of scale, so that it doesn't literally take two weeks to get to Rivendell, or ones for dramatic effect, such as making the Stone of Erech a bit larger so that it looks more impressive).

I can second LOTRO. Gameplay gets pretty grindy, even though they've made combat as interesting as possible, but the stories are really good if you take the time to read the quest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How does FFG's licensing work with Amazon's new show?  Will any of the character or story lines from Amazon be able to be adapted to the LCG?

Edited by urloony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, urloony said:

How does FFG's licensing work with Amazon's new show?  Will any of the character or story lines from Amazon be able to be adapted to the LCG?

We haven't heard anything to suggest that there is any connection or that FFG has any rights related to the new show.  (That I know of.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2017 at 0:34 PM, Bullroarer Took said:

We haven't heard anything to suggest that there is any connection or that FFG has any rights related to the new show.  (That I know of.)

The other fear of course is that with Amazon involved FFG might lose licensing depending on how demanding they are with the Tolkein estate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dalestephenson said:

Unless I miss my guess, FFG's current licensing, like everyone else's prior to this new development, was *not* with the Tolkien Estate at all.

Interesting, I had thought everyone had to go through the Tolkein estate.  Who else would be able to grant rights?

Edited to add:

It looks like FFG's license is with Middle Earth Enterprises which is the entity the Tolkein estate uses to provide LOTR rights to third-parties.  So, you're right it's not a direct contract with the Tolkein estate. 

Edited by urloony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2017 at 9:50 AM, urloony said:

It looks like FFG's license is with Middle Earth Enterprises which is the entity the Tolkein estate uses to provide LOTR rights to third-parties.

*Tolkien

But no, this isn't correct. The Tolkien Estate does not "use" Middle-earth Enterprises (MeE) to provide rights to their parties. Long ago J.R.R. sold the movie and merchandising rights for The Hobbit and LOTR, which were in turn sold to what is now MeE. The Tolkien Estate has no more ability to provide those rights to anyone - it's up to MeE.

The TV rights, on the other hand, were not sold by J.R.R., and have just been acquired by Amazon from the Tolkien Estate for the first time. That's why this is such a big deal.

Edited by Seastan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2017 at 5:55 PM, Seastan said:

The TV rights, on the other hand, were not sold by J.R.R., and have just been acquired by Amazon from Tolkien Enterprises for the first time. That's why this is such a big deal.

Do you mean Tolkien Estate instead of Tolkien Enterprises (MeE)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×