Sign in to follow this  
dietz057

Twin Troopers Podcast: Obi Wan Kenobi

This makes me think, if anyone ever really tried to make lists based on certain concepts, rather than say Traits or Best-bang-for-your-bucks.

I haven't listened to it yet (as I'm at work), so apologies if I'm repeating something you said.

But for instance, thinking of an Objective Control list using Obi-Wan and Maul. Both are solid at denying objective control. Combine it with some solid smugglers and the smuggler card that helps controlling as well and maybe top it off with a card like Set A Trap to further board-control. Could look like this:

Maul 7 (control)

Temp.All. 1

Obi 7 (control)

Greedo (solid smuggler) 4

eAlliance Smuggler /Hera (solid smuggler) 4

eJawa (smuggler, opens control pieces) 3

Chopper (controls terminal) 3

BT-1 (Solid crowd control) 6

Prey On The Weak (boosts BT-1) 1

C-3PO (ekstra punch and there was room) 2

38 points.

Could add in Black Market and Devious Scheme or something else for the last points. Maybe Force User puller if the cards are good/important enough.

The list doesn't have a lot of fire-power punch so have to focus heavily on objectives. Dunno if it's workable, but I like the idea. 

I used to forget to use Obiwan's focus ability all the time, then I devised the following trick: put a focus card underneath his deployment card.  That way, when you remove his card from your deployment area (which is what I do whenever a figure is defeated), you'll see the focus card staring back at you.

Mainly, it's just hard to fit a slow, four-speed melee figure into lists these days.  You have to devote a lot of cards to increasing mobility, whereas with Ahsoka you don't have that draw back.  Still, he is still a solid figure.  I've been interested in trying a force user-centric list with Jedi Luke, Ahsoka, and Obiwan.  You've inspired me to give it a try :-)

-ryanjamal

As a new player I love your podcasts. It's great to get an informed perspective on Deployment cards.

You guys mention that Obi-Wan doesn't do anything on the "Spoils of Crime" mission Jabba's Palace. But my understanding was that "retrieving" a token counted as an interact action per the rules of "Retrieving Tokens" in the Rules Reference. Am I wrong?

54 minutes ago, defkhan1 said:

As a new player I love your podcasts. It's great to get an informed perspective on Deployment cards.

You guys mention that Obi-Wan doesn't do anything on the "Spoils of Crime" mission Jabba's Palace. But my understanding was that "retrieving" a token counted as an interact action per the rules of "Retrieving Tokens" in the Rules Reference. Am I wrong?

Yeah they got that one wrong. I'm pretty sure you have to interact to pick up those crates on Jabba's Palace. Nal Hutta "Raining Freight" mission states specifically that you use the movement points in order to pick them up, which is why 5 speed figures are so valuable on that mission to pick them up Rd.1

If you put Obi Wan on an objective, pummel can be a nice surprise if you have initiative going into the next round (especially Rd. 2). It would work great w/ Ahsoka too (activate her last in a round, move 8 spaces to hit someone, then pummel them Rd2

I think part of the problem is between raining freight and spoils, both crates effectively cause you to lose 2 movement and the rules get a bit jumbled together in players' heads (mine included). I didn't see many problems with the rules for spoils of crime mission until raining freight came into the rotation. Now it's an issue every game and tournament.

And let's not forget the third set of rules for the crates on line of fire where you can't shoot with them, but you can block and move full speed with them... 

Edited by Matsu Robun

1 minute ago, Matsu Robun said:

I think part of the problem is between raining freight and spoils, both crates cause you to lose 2 movement and the rules get a bit jumbled together in players' heads (mine included). I didn't see many problems with the rules for spoils of crime mission until raining freight came into the rotation. Now it's an issue every game and tournament. 

Yeah, we had a small store tournament this weekend, and we played Nal Hutta before we played Spoils of Crime next, and I had to explain to my opponent on this mission we have to use an interact action, unlinke the Nal Hutta mission.

17 hours ago, defkhan1 said:

Good catch on the "retrieving tokens" rules.  We missed that, so thank you for bringing it to my attention.  I'll be adding a note to the post.  Much appreciated!

Eric