Whippoorwills

Introduction to new players

Hello hivemind,

I’m gonna introduce x-wing to new players and I was wondering if anyone have any ideas for lists to play. Was thinking rebels vs empire with some iconic pilots like Vader and Skywalker. Those I’m introducing have none/small knowledge of boardgames/minatures games so I want to keep it simple.

Rebels

Skywalker

Y-wing with TLT

Random X-wing?

Empire:

Vader

Named TIE pilots to fill up?

Or maybe 65pts list is better?

Just run the core set. Luke Skywalker vs 2 tie fighters. Don't worry about lists or points or any upgrades at first. Just teach the basic points of the game. Give them whichever side they like, but I recommend letting them be the ties because when the inevitably pick the wrong maneuver (and they will) it makes it a little bit better if one of your ships can still do something instead of your only ship pointing off in the wrong direction with nothing to shoot at.  Then you play as straight forward as possible. Don't set up any traps or try to arc dodge. Just let them get the feel for the flow of the game. Once you've played that initial game, if they are liking it and want to try it again, play a bigger game and introduce more. Maybe a turret in the Millennium Falcon (iconic ship) and an Imperial Ace in Darth Vader (iconic villain) and then progress from there.

The best way to teaqch X Wing is how it's done in Learn to PLay.

Start out with 2 generic TIEs and a generic X Wing, no rocks, just to learn the basic concepts or PS order and manoeuvring and stress/clearance.  Then add rocks and actions.  Then let your opponent pick a 100 point list of just pilots, no upgrades, and you pick one the same way afterwards.

Then build full lists and go nuts.

I like to run a Core Box match with 25 pts. 1 Academy Pilot and one Obsidian Pilot vs a Rookie with R2-D2.

This way, you can explain all necessary points of play on the go- Squad Cost and Upgrade slots, Pilot skill advantages and disadvantages, as well as the importance of control effects and green maneuvres. It also introduces the difference between Rebels and Imperials quite nicely in my experience.

After that, you can rather quickly go up to the classic 100 pts standard. Flying more than 2 ships at once will probably backfire at first, but not for long. As an "instructor",  this also allows for you to toy with several archetypes that contrast with what your new squadmate is trying out. Be sure to show some options, and have fun!

Definitely.

The scenarios in the core sets are a good way to learn. Avoid adding aces and upgrades until someone's got a hang of the basics.

Definitely avoid the rules-bending twin laser turret (the mechanics aren't complex once you know how it works but it's still confusing for a first timer)

For that matter, the most successful starter game we had with many new players all learning at once was just 'You get a TIE fighter! And you get a TIE fighter! Everyone gets a TIE fighter!' with about eight on the field at once...

4 minutes ago, Archangelspiv said:

I think Denethor said it best with... FLEE!!! FLEE FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!

Once it gets hold it never lets go...

Okay, now I just want to do a non-stop  Palpatine impression, holding up my plastic spaceships while someone screams the above from some corner.

And then we start playing. 

Edited by DampfGecko

To get a bit more fun out and still being thematic, I would say that 2 x-wings with some very simple astromech vs one  Tie advanced and two Tie fighers is a good start.

timing-chart-xwing-faq.jpg

Trying to make it as simple as possible to get through this timing chart the better...

Therefore, avoid all upgrades and use only generic pilots for the first couple of games. 

It's not really as complicated as it looks, but when you start adding Sensor Jammer against Han Solo's attack, or Crack Shot against Han Solo's defense, it's easy to lose sight of the basic move & shot backbone of the game.  

With each game you can progressively add more complexity. You can do without having to explain the additional rules needed for asteroids, for example, if you wait until your 3rd or 4th game to introduce obstacles.   

It's different for different people of course, some people want it all at once, and some people are overwhelmed. 

1st match:   2x Academy Pilots   vs   1x Red Squadron Pilot.   No upgrades or Asteroids. 

2nd match:  2x Academy Pilots   vs   1x Red Squadron Pilot.   Asteroids,  but still no upgrades.

3rd match:  2x Black Squadron Pilots +Wingman   vs  Luke Skywalker + R2-D2

4th match: 
Han Solo (46) + Push the Limit (3) + Luke Skywalker (7) + Chewbacca (4) + Engine Upgrade (4) + Millennium Falcon (TFA) (1)
Total: 65     versus

Darth Vader (29) + Swarm Leader (3)* + Advanced Targeting Computer (1) + TIE/x1 (0)
Black Squadron Pilot (14) + Push the Limit (3)
Black Squadron Pilot (14) + Push the Limit (3)
Total: 67

*I'm used to using Squad Leader on Vader for swarms, but Swarm Leader seems more appropriate there.

Edited by gabe69velasquez

@ Whippoorwills I would really start with generic pilots first then try unique ones. Keeps it easier to not worry about regular rules plus a unique's special ability. I would even forgo upgrades for the first game, just get the basics down - as it will be easier for you to remember what they can and can't do. This is how I started teaching my son the game over a year ago.

Don't forget that there are many ways to play X-wing, not just 100/6 "kill 'em all".

Play some of the provided missions in the core set and from the larger ships, like the M. Falcon. Seriously. There's a lot of value in them, especially for learning the game.

When you get tired of 100/6 (100 points/6 asteroids), missions are a good palate cleanser and if you have players that have played them before, they're more open to playing them again.

First, consider who the player is. I find that most players fit into a few categories:

Me. I like RPGs, storytelling, LEGO, etc., so I really want to tell a story. To teach someone like me how to play X-Wing, you want them to be able to dictate the narrative. If they want X-Wings, use X-Wings for them. If they like Rebels, pick a mix of B, Y, and A-Wings. If they like the Empire, pick some classic Imperial dogfighters like TIE Interceptors, Defenders, or Fighters. Scum, pick the classic bounty hunters (Boba, Dengar, etc.) No turrets, about 3:1 small:large ship ratio, no unique pilots. I love non-uniques so I can imagine they’re whoever I want them to be. To add some spice, use the EPT generics and give each one a different EPT.

My younger brother. He plays other war games, but he’s not a huge Star Wars fan. He just wants a taste of the game, and a quick battle that he can jump into. For a player like this, some turrets and a mixture of base sizes are probably good, so that the person can get an idea of the different mechanics of the game. Some named pilots might be good, just so the person can get a taste of that mechanic too. Use a whole bunch of different ships in each fleet, so that the person gets used to seeing different ships. This kind of person will do better with more, because the person is already used to learning new games. 

My friend. She doesn’t really want to play a complicated game, she just came to this game night because her boyfriend, another friend of mine, likes the game. This kind of player just kinda wants to know what the game is about and how to play it. Pick some ships the person knows, and build lists around them. When I taught this particular person how to play, she got four T-70 X-Wings and I got six TIE/FOs. 

Some rules of thumb that apply to all of these:

- don’t oversimplify. Use 100 points per side and (at least) six asteroids. I used twelve rocks per game when I was learning.

- don’t overcomplicate. No more than three things they have to remember per ship (so if it’s a non-unique, three upgrades, if it’s unique, two).

- stay mostly as 80-degree arc small-base dogfighters. 

- a few turrets or large bases here and there don’t hurt the game, they spice it up.

- no bombs or ordnance. Period.

One good way to start the game is to go through your collection of ship models with the person, and have them point out which plastic models they like (three or four), then build a list for them using these guidelines, and build an opposing list that follows the same guidelines. 

When playing, fly super casual, letting the person look at all the maneuver templates, change the maneuvers so they don’t go off the board, etc., but don’t make it seem that you’re going easy on them. What’s better is to intentionally build a worse list than theirs, and then fly very well, so that they can learn from you. 

9 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Don't forget that there are many ways to play X-wing, not just 100/6 "kill 'em all".

Play some of the provided missions in the core set and from the larger ships, like the M. Falcon. Seriously. There's a lot of value in them, especially for learning the game.

When you get tired of 100/6 (100 points/6 asteroids), missions are a good palate cleanser and if you have players that have played them before, they're more open to playing them again.

Vader with two academy pilots vs Luke or Wedge with a Gold Squadron y-wing with ion turret.  Maybe toss one or two of the big asteroids out there if you think they can handle it

gives a little bit of the flavors of the game, a light introduction to pilot abilities, upgrade cards, pilot skill, different dials, etc. but not too much to remember

I've seen missions done but it can often just complicate things unnecessarily as new players don't really know what to expect their ships to be capable of

I would keep IT simple. Take Vader with two TIEs vs Luke with one more ship. I'd go Core Set+1 expansion per side.

Or, if they like SW Rebels, just take Ghost against Inquisitor and TIEs or Fenn Rau.

Edited by Jiron
One more idea..