Sign in to follow this  
LukeStarkiller

Using my PC's Booster Blue to initiate an adventure

So I'm running a one off with the possibility of it turning into a campaign. One of my PC's was really insistent when creating his character that he wanted Booster Blue. Because of his backstory and because he was so persistent, I allowed him to start off with a crate of it.

I'm planning our first session to be on Nar Shaddaa and the PCs will be sent out by a handler of some sort to collect a bounty, but then be betrayed by their handler to a powerful Hutt. I liked the idea of this booster blue being a catalyst for the adventure, but I don't have any good ideas as to how to work it into the session. Any ideas?

Depends a bit on obligations and what sort of group you have. One way to get it in could be that the mark tries to bribe hom with a crate of drugs, but it turns out he boosted the crate off a Hutt who wants his god **** drugs back.

Depending on where they take it from there it's possible to work quite a bit on the Hutt angle. Lords of Nal Hutta has quite a lot if nice stuff on how to craft adventures involving Hutts.

I really hope this char has the obligation "Addictive to Booster Blue"

here some ideas:

1. The Crate was part of the payment/ lure of the handler, once the betrayel has happened, the PC realizes that he won't get the crate if he won't get back on the handler VERY SOON, (this is the moment where the setback from "Addictive" starts to set in ^^)

2. The Betrayel isn't an ambush (or what ever you have planned) it is that the handler sold the location/ coordinates of the players ship to the mighy Lord Jubbu de Hutt, who has just confiscated it (including al goods a board like the crate of booster blue) and brought it to his personal shipyard for deconstruction...

3. The handler is the PC's local drug dealer, and after the hole inccident the PC will find himself in a tight spot... he needs a new dealer, since the crate won't last forever... mostlikly not longer than one or two adventures

4. Make it the hook for the next adventure: after the PCs returning to ship in the spaceport, they find the Imperial Customs Bureau investigating the ship... and finding the crate... how will your PCs react...

I ran a game where a hutt crime boss sent the PCs to deliver a crate of muon gold to Corellia. A guy matching the contact’s description shows up and the PCs hand over the spice. Just as they’re patting themselves on the back for a job well done, the real contact shows up and is furious the spice is gone. The PCs have to track down the imposter and retrieve the crate to keep on the hutt’s good side.

You could have something hidden in one of the individual containers of the booster blue that is being sought after by several factions at once. This could be a stolen data tape, a valuable jewel with cultural significance, or a map to further adventures. Have the characters be confronted by agents (of one of the factions) wanting the crate but refusing to pay for it. Make the encounters so that the characters can eyeball either the good chance of winning a fight with the NPCs or a good escape route that is obvious to them. If the bad guys do end up with the crate have another group show up and demand/ask the PCs to help them retrieve it.  

Edited by Archlyte

On 11/13/2017 at 4:26 AM, Nightone said:

I really hope this char has the obligation "Addictive to Booster Blue"

Or debt, if he's just dealing it. 

Given that a cargo container of 100 doses Booster Blue is 750 credits, it's not a huge deal. Yeah, it's "restricted" but for a campaign starting on Nar Shaddaa it's pretty reasonable. I'd still make the player cover the cost with starting credits, meaning he'd have to take additional obligation, and use it for credits instead of XP. 

Just a heads up. Insisting on getting something because it's in his backstory is a red flag for a power gamer. It's not enough to put him in the detention block, but keep a photoreceptor on him at all times.