Megatronrex

Battle of the Borderland 2

I had a great time hosting my second tournament at Borderlands yesterday. We had a total of 10 people show up (even numbers so I got to play this time). 6 Imperials and 4 Rebels. Unfortunately I didn't recollect everyone's lists at the end so only have incomplete info. I know, I know worst TO ever! I do however have accurate results and rankings.:)

1. @Space_Cowboy17 - 29pts. Congratulations on your repeat victory. One of these day I will manage to step up and dethrone you sir. One of these days.

2. Roy Drum - 22pts. Roy also won a Surveillance Gozanti for having the prettiest painted ships. We also wore matching shirts because I'm so cool he had to copy me.:P

3. Me - 20pts. Once again I finish behind Roy at a tournament. I've really got to break this habit.

4. Eric Blake - 17pt. This was the second time Eric had to face the unstoppable @Space_Cowboy17in the second round or he'd have probably finished in at least third.

5. @ThatSlyBandit - 17pts. Thank you for not oversleeping and missing it this time so I got to play. He took his Big Swingin' Vics to the top table but couldn't kill the accursed cowboy but he did take out Dodonna.

6. Daniel McBride - 15pts. Hope you enjoyed your first tournament and get to make it to some more (and that I got to win our rematch)

7. @GiledPallaeon - 14pts. So glad you made the trip up. Third tournament together first time getting to face each other. His double Liberty triple GR-75 no squads list scared me early on by slicing my ISD and my Quasar but Persuant saved my *** and Sloane worked more perfectly than I've ever had her work before. Accuracies only when I needed and hits d*** near every other time, except when Fel really needed it. Something tells me that when we get a rematch my list won't fare so well against the true Dreadnoughts.

8. Ben Bowser - 14pts. I'd never had the pleasure of meeting Ben before. This was not only Ben's first tournament it was his first time ever playing Armada. He had promised to take his son to a nearby X-Wing tournament but it got canceled or postponed so he decided to take him to the closest Star Wars themed event around, Father of the Year points for him. He took to it surprisingly well. So well in fact that he beat my a** in the first round. He was letting his son roll for him and at one point the kid hit my ISD for 10 damage. He then went on to score a victory over @Dameon13 in the second. I think I should just claim to be that good of a coach, yeah that's it. A really nice guy and I hope he sticks with Armada.

9. @Dameon13 - 11pts. I didn't get to watch much of any of Dameon's games but I sure could hear him helping to teach Ben at the table behind me in the second round. Thoroughly coaching someone in how to properly beat you can set you back in a tournament but he's such a great guy in our local gaming community that he seemed more interested in trying to make it an enjoyable experience for a new player. Hat's off to you on that sir well done.

10. Kris Hyland - 4pts. Kris came down from Charlotte to play in his first tournament and the poor guy got paired against that damned cowboy guy and that's always rough. Unfortunately his day didn't get much better but he seemed to have a good time. I'd love to make it up to the Charlotte area for a tourney or two if he can find or start a group up there.

To everyone who came out, thank you so much for showing up and being a great group of guys. It made me feel really good to have so many of you there for an OP kit especially considering how far some of you had to drive. I really like that this time the Border War had 3 states represented. Borderlands does have another OP kit for me to host. I tentatively plan on doing that around January or February to try to squeeze it in between Georgia regionals and North Carolina regionals.

Congratulations again to @Space_Cowboy17 on yet another victory. I mock you because I can't beat you but I sure do love trying. You may be my arch-nemesis but I always look forward to any match with you. I've learned a lot from you and you're a living legend in our local Armada group.

Thanks to Borderlands https://www.facebook.com/borderlandscomicsandgames/ for getting us the kit and letting us occupy their store all day. As long as you guys keep supporting us I'll host all the tournaments you want.

Thanks to @Killerardvark, Cryodex is the s***! Hope you enjoy your six pack.

Thanks to @melminiatures for making such excellent ships. I gave away a few as additional prizes and they were a big hit so I plan on doing that again for future tournaments.

Remember that Georgia Regionals is December 9th at Giga-Bites Cafe https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=giga-bites tabletop gaming cafe @jamie nasmyth always hosts a great tournament and if you can make it you should go.

Because I'm lazy, I'll throw the roses and thorns from my batrep in here (also driving two hours and change and waiting until the next day to write a batrep is a great way to clear your memory). First, the fleet:

Repulse and Renown Mark 4
Author: GiledPallaeon

Faction: Rebel Alliance

Commander: General Madine

Assault Objective: Most Wanted
Defense Objective: Contested Outpost
Navigation Objective: Solar Corona

[ flagship ] MC80 Battle Cruiser (103 points)
-  General Madine  ( 30  points)
-  Lando Calrissian  ( 4  points)
-  Gunnery Team  ( 7  points)
-  Engine Techs  ( 8  points)
-  X17 Turbolasers  ( 6  points)
-  Spinal Armament  ( 9  points)
-  Leading Shots  ( 4  points)
= 171 total ship cost

MC80 Battle Cruiser (103 points)
-  Ahsoka Tano  ( 2  points)
-  Gunnery Team  ( 7  points)
-  Engine Techs  ( 8  points)
-  X17 Turbolasers  ( 6  points)
-  Spinal Armament  ( 9  points)
-  Leading Shots  ( 4  points)
= 139 total ship cost

GR-75 Medium Transports (18 points)
Bright Hope  ( 2  points)
-  Leia Organa  ( 3  points)
-  Comms Net  ( 2  points)
= 25 total ship cost

Quantum Storm  ( 1  points)
-  Hondo Ohnaka  ( 2  points)
-  Slicer Tools  ( 7  points)
= 28 total ship cost

-  Slicer Tools  ( 7  points)
= 25 total ship cost

Rose: I should have started experimenting with Slicers sooner. I stole the principle here from @thecactusman17's takedown of @Green Knight for the World Cup bounty, and while they didn't save my bacon every time, I can see why concerted use of these things by practiced users should send command-dependent fleets scurrying for cover. Rose: it's blisteringly fast, and a lot of fun to play with Madine where I can just select a Liberty sized spot and park there. Rose: At medium range, I'm going to hit like a truck, and it's going to hurt. Even at long range, five reds will do a decent bit of damage usually, enough to warrant concern. Thorn: The entire fleet is very delicate. Liberty's are hilariously prone to exploding at the slightest provocation, and the only thing usually protecting the Slicers is their Scatter. Practice flying these things if I want them to be worth the space they take up on a table will be paramount. Thorn: It's a boom or bust fleet. @Megatronrex 10-1'd me and was Fel not missing away from a table, and Roy dealt an 8-3 to me. Flip side was I obliterated a dual AF2 (Dodonna plus bombers) list. Thorn: It's even more agility reliant than the current version of JJ's Dreadnoughts, insofar as that not only do I not want double arcs (which the ISDs crave), but I want to deny my enemy shots at my side arc, a much taller order. At long or the long side of medium range that's not that hard, but at close range it's really difficult. And given my Imperial instincts (something about damning the torpedoes and bolting accelerators to floors) I end up there a lot. It's even worse when the fleet ends up expertly boxed in by someone like Roy, who had a total of four shots from a Gladiator (double arc and last/first) before Repulse could reply. Learning when to slam on the brakes with this fleet (probably should have sucked it up and cut speed to land on an asteroid instead of leaping over it) will be just as important as how to drift around corners.

It was a lot of fun to play with a bunch of guys I don't often get to see; thanks for putting this on @Megatronrex. Keep me in the loop for future events, and maybe other Atlantans will come with me next time.

PS Vassal hotshots should be grateful that @Space_Cowboy17 isn't on Vassal. He is, no joke, a living legend among the Armada community in South Carolina, and to a lesser extent in Marietta, and a genuinely expert player. He talks a lot of trash, and then proceeds to trash your fleet with a grace and skill I've seen very very rarely. I'm not sure the man has lost a tournament game in at least a year, maybe longer. I've never had to be destroyed by him, but I've watched him disassemble well-built, well-practiced fleets like he was picking apart a rotisserie chicken on the table for lunch. One of these days he's going to get a computer that can handle it, and the meta better watch out, because Lord knows the man needs to go to Worlds and take a crack at those top tables.

Edited by GiledPallaeon

Thank you,  I had a good day and some good rolls.  I was happy to come away with the victory, mostly wanted to try something that was no Ackbar as I have always taken him to tournaments...  Is there a quick way to post a list on there without having to type it all out?  I would be willing to post my list. 

Thank you for running this @Megatronrex

8 minutes ago, Space_Cowboy17 said:

Thank you,  I had a good day and some good rolls.  I was happy to come away with the victory, mostly wanted to try something that was no Ackbar as I have always taken him to tournaments...  Is there a quick way to post a list on there without having to type it all out?  I would be willing to post my list. 

Thank you for running this @Megatronrex

I just copy and paste mine usually but I use Warlords don't know how easy it is from RK I've never used that one.

What I ran.  Again a good time with a non-Ackbar list.   Maybe one day I will try the angry triangle faction... 

Dodonna!!! Dodonna!!!

Commander: General Dodonna

Defense Objective: Jamming Barrier
Navigation Objective: Superior Positions

Assault Frigate Mark II B (72 points)
Gallant Haven  ( 8  points)
-  Adar Tallon  ( 10  points)
-  Flight Controllers  ( 6  points)
-  Boosted Comms  ( 4  points)
-  Electronic Countermeasures  ( 7  points)
= 107 total ship cost

Modified Pelta-class Command Ship (60 points)
-  Raymus Antilles  ( 7  points)
-  Fighter Coordination Team  ( 3  points)
-  All Fighters, Follow Me!  ( 5  points)
= 79 total ship cost

[ flagship ] CR90 Corvette A (44 points)
-  General Dodonna  ( 20  points)
Jainas Light  ( 2  points)
-  Turbolaser Reroute Circuits  ( 7  points)
= 75 total ship cost

-  Jamming Field  ( 2  points)
= 22 total ship cost

1 Jan Ors ( 19 points)
1 Luke Skywalker ( 20 points)
1 Wedge Antilles ( 19 points)
1 Ten Numb ( 19 points)
1 Keyan Farlander ( 20 points)
1 Dagger Squadron ( 15 points)

14 minutes ago, Space_Cowboy17 said:

What I ran.  Again a good time with a non-Ackbar list.   Maybe one day I will try the angry triangle faction... 

Dodonna!!! Dodonna!!!

Commander: General Dodonna

Defense Objective: Jamming Barrier
Navigation Objective: Superior Positions

Assault Frigate Mark II B (72 points)
Gallant Haven  ( 8  points)
-  Adar Tallon  ( 10  points)
-  Flight Controllers  ( 6  points)
-  Electronic Countermeasures  ( 7  points)
= 107 total ship cost

Modified Pelta-class Command Ship (60 points)
-  Raymus Antilles  ( 7  points)
-  Fighter Coordination Team  ( 3  points)
-  All Fighters, Follow Me!  ( 5  points)
= 79 total ship cost

[ flagship ] CR90 Corvette A (44 points)
-  General Dodonna  ( 20  points)
Jainas Light  ( 2  points)
-  Turbolaser Reroute Circuits  ( 7  points)
= 75 total ship cost

-  Jamming Field  ( 2  points)
= 22 total ship cost

1 Jan Ors ( 19 points)
1 Luke Skywalker ( 20 points)
1 Wedge Antilles ( 19 points)
1 Ten Numb ( 19 points)
1 Keyan Farlander ( 20 points)
1 Dagger Squadron ( 15 points)

It just seems wrong to see you at a tournament without Admiral Fish Face.

23 hours ago, Megatronrex said:

I just copy and paste mine usually but I use Warlords don't know how easy it is from RK I've never used that one.

There's not a text export option. Closest is printing the form to PDF then posting that as an image. Which is a shame, because I prefer it as a builder. 

1 minute ago, GiledPallaeon said:

There's not a text export option. Closest is printing the form to PDF then posting that as an image. Which is a shame, because I prefer it as a builder. 

I know a lot of people who prefer RK. I'll have to give it a try.

Well the List is a bomber oriented fleet designed to win through a combination of bombing and pot shots from the 3 combat ships.  The general way I fly the list is to lead with Gallent Haven and try and provide a safe "haven," for my fighters to hang out at while the fleets close.  The Pelta is loaded to use All fighters and Fighter Coord. teams to allow the slow B-wings to keep up.  The thing about B-wings that people overlook is that they are competent dogfighters as well as rock star bombers, their main draw back being their slow speed.  If you can play around that weakness you end up with some potent multi-purpose squadrons. 

The list is very solid but only if it is flown in tight formation.  I shield off the Pelta from much of the enemy fleet and try to make sure Gallent Haven escapes without getting blown up.  Everyone targets the Assault Frigate, and most of the time they probably should, but if you can tank some agro with it and then escape, the Pelta is usually able to survive too because they chase the ASF MkII trying to finish it off.  

If you are new to Armada I would honestly wait on flying something like this until you are pretty comfortable flying tight formations,  any of these ships alone without the support of the others gets chewed up pretty quickly.  I have a thread I started talking about fighting enemy squadrons that served as the original concept behind this fleet.

This is a more in depth discussion of how I go about winning a squad war, the core concept behind that is discussed is what lead me to this fleet design. 

Side note, no matter what list/fleet you are going for, it is important to start with a theme or concept of how you want your fleet to win/ what aspects of the game you want to dominate, then build a list that plays to that concept.  Most people put the cart in from of the horse and try to write a list with the ships they like or think are good, and then come up with a way to make it actually function on the table after.  This is almost never as good as starting with the core concept and they fleshing out a fleet aimed at that concept.

Additionally, once you settle on something you like or have success with, do not think you are done with the list, constantly evaluate the list and tweak the list over a period of time and games.  Try it against as many of the common list types as you can and clip off excess upgrades that don't seam to make much impact.  

I have been playing a version of the fleet I posted for 2 months, netting probably 12 games.  Crafting a solid list that you personally fly well and that has the tools to win is a process.     

Edited by Space_Cowboy17