Sign in to follow this  
YodaPool

Maul

Maul's second is pretty much once-per-turn.

Check out the attack timing chart in the FAQ.

Maul's second ability is "after attacking."  You don't get to an "after attacking" step until long after you'd have had the chance to reroll dice.  With TLT or Cluster Missiles, you only get one "after attacking" step, so he'd only trigger once then.  Gunner won't work, since Maul requires you to hit, and Gunner requires you to not hit.  Maul on a Corellian Corvettte can use his first ability multiple times (due to all the weapons hardpoints), but his second ability will be irrelevant since huge ships discard all stress.

However, A Phantom-I Ghost could use Maul after both the attack in the Combat Phase, and and the attack in the End Phase.  Also, I think a ship with Maul and Snap Shot could potentially remove a stress in the Activation phase, if Snap Shot hits, but hitting with Snap Shot isn't super easy.  Maul/Ten Numb anyone?

Edited by theBitterFig

20 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Maul's second is pretty much once-per-turn.

Check out the attack timing chart in the FAQ.

Maul's second ability is "after attacking."  You don't get to an "after attacking" step until long after you'd have had the chance to reroll dice.  With TLT or Cluster Missiles, you only get one "after attacking" step, so he'd only trigger once then.  Gunner won't work, since Maul requires you to hit, and Gunner requires you to not hit.  Maul on a Corellian Corvettte can use his first ability multiple times (due to all the weapons hardpoints), but his second ability will be irrelevant since huge ships discard all stress.

However, A Phantom-I Ghost could use Maul after both the attack in the Combat Phase, and and the attack in the End Phase.  Also, I think a ship with Maul and Snap Shot could potentially remove a stress in the Activation phase, if Snap Shot hits, but hitting with Snap Shot isn't super easy.  Maul/Ten Numb anyone?

A YV-666 with a cannon, 88B crew, Gunner and Maul could remove two stress per turn. Miss on the primary, then hit with the next two attacks.

It's still a terrible build.

2 hours ago, Innese said:

Maul with Keyan Farlander. Re-roll up to 2 dice, use Keyan's ability to remove 1 stress, use Maul to remove the other (if you hit).

Someone has been watching Crabboks channel :)

2 hours ago, Crabbok said:

Maul Lander is the rise of the B-Wing

Here's to hoping! The B Wing was always my favourite Rebel ship, now to figure out as way to bring it back to the table so it's not crazy expensive...

14 hours ago, RStan said:

The only thing I've considered is putting Maul as crew on Dengar and have a ship with Inspiring Recruit within range that can be used at the end of Maul's ability which could allow him to be used twice with his Revenge shot with multiple rerolls via Maul. 

Expertise is both better and self sufficient

And maul shuts it down with self stress too 

42 minutes ago, SEApocalypse said:

Ragelander with inspiring recruite might do the same thing for you for cheaper ^_^

Kanan would be the better choice over recruit (always use the 1 stress on ability then you have the full white dial as well) ,  and the 2 points is still better than ezra tax if you dont want a stressbug

The only places i see it working well is the u wing/auzituk. The issue is you still need to work in ezra somewhere and neither of those two really lends to his strengths

Edited by Ralgon

57 minutes ago, SEApocalypse said:

Ragelander with inspiring recruite might do the same thing for you for cheaper ^_^

No doubt that'll be nice and cheaper, but doesn't give you the versatility.  First off, it takes up your EPT, second it requires you be able to use an action.  Third, it stops you from being able to barrel roll.  

Still useful, but I think that's the strength of Maul Lander. 

EPT remains free, can go with Expose if you are feeling frisky, but a safer bet might be VI, since you'll be at PS9 and that barell roll will be more useful at the higher PS. 

Even if you don't get an action you can still use Maul and Keyan's Ability.  Even if you have a leftover stress, just use Keyan first and then use Maul, (Granted that's not perfect, but it's better than nothing).  

Toss in Linked Battery for some insurance, for those rolls of all blanks.  

Collision Detector to make your barell roll more useful. 

Or if you are running Expose, maybe toss on Advanced Sensors to ensure you always get that action. 

11 minutes ago, Chief Hugh said:

Can someone explain why Maul is good in epic?

Huge ships immediately discard any Stress token assigned to them, they have no effect. This allows you to put Maul on a Rebel CR90, which can fire multiple weapons per round and never has a stress token on it, and reroll all the dice with all your shots and toss away the stress tokens. When the S&V faction eventually get a corvette like the CR90 and Raider, it will be useful there as well. If they could get Maul and Zuckuss on a S&V corvette, it will be just silly.

Edited by kris40k

Ibtisam (28)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Collision Detector (0)
Ezra Bridger (3)
B-Wing/E2 (1)

Keyan Farlander (29)
Adaptability (0)
Collision Detector (0)
Maul (3)
B-Wing/E2 (1)

Red Squadron Veteran (26)
Intensity (2)
Flight-Assist Astromech (1)
Comm Relay (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Ezra works so well with the OTHER stress happy Bwing that I had to include it. Maul insisted. The last is an extremely tanky Xwing.

3 hours ago, kris40k said:

Huge ships immediately discard any Stress token assigned to them, they have no effect. This allows you to put Maul on a Rebel CR90, which can fire multiple weapons per round and never has a stress token on it, and reroll all the dice with all your shots and toss away the stress tokens. When the S&V faction eventually get a corvette like the CR90 and Raider, it will be useful there as well. If they could get Maul and Zuckuss on a S&V corvette, it will be just silly.

That sort of screams that Maul will need to be Errata'd to Non-Huge Ship Only. Putting Maul on the CR-90 and getting free rerolls for up to all four attacks kind of flies in the face of the No Penalty/Huge Reward fixes they put in recently.

8 minutes ago, Slugrage said:

That sort of screams that Maul will need to be Errata'd to Non-Huge Ship Only. Putting Maul on the CR-90 and getting free rerolls for up to all four attacks kind of flies in the face of the No Penalty/Huge Reward fixes they put in recently.

They haven't errata'd Zuckuss for huge ships yet...

12 minutes ago, Chaotix said:

They haven't errata'd Zuckuss for huge ships yet...

Zuckuss wasn't able to be put on a corvette yet, so it wasn't an issue (only 1 weapon on a C-ROC), I expect him to be errata'd when it is possible. Now that FFG has done the same thing, but now on attack dice instead of defense dice, and it can be put on a corvette, they may see the issue and get around to it.

as much as I (rightfully) don't believe Maul is terribly good, I did find an only semi-janky home for him

I'm been trying to fit Norra Wexley into post-Biggs blobs but it's been rough because Rey is so **** good on both her and Low...but now I don't have to choose!

Unnamed Squadron (100)

Lowhhrick — Auzituck Gunship 28
Draw Their Fire 1
Ezra Bridger 3
Maul 3
Ship Total: 35

Jess Pava — T-70 X-Wing 25
R2-D6 1
Selflessness 1
Integrated Astromech 0
Ship Total: 27

Norra Wexley — ARC-170 29